P4P dropped from sky
1499 24 2018-12-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
snowvideo
lvl.2
United States

Hi,
Today my Phantom 4 Pro fell from about 3' off the ground 2 times. This has never happened, the battery was secure and the home point was set. I switched batteries after the first time as I thought maybe it was a battery issue the way it just dropped. Luckly no damage from that height I can see. I understand the data is needed, wondering best way to upload it.

Thank you for any help!
2018-12-13
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2018-12-13
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day snowvideo. I am sorry to know what happened to your previous flight with your DJI Phantom 4 Pro. This is not the experience we want you to have with DJI. Since this issue happened the best thing you need to do is to contact DJI Support at https://www.dji.com/support and create a case for your drone. Please sync the flight record as well using your DJI Go 4 application for further analysis. Thank you.

2018-12-13
Use props
snowvideo
lvl.2
United States

Thank you,
I have the pro plus so not sure the app works with it? I am having trouble retrieving the flight data through DJI assistant, the files do not show up. Any sugestions?

Thank you
2018-12-13
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

snowvideo Posted at 12-13 12:41
Thank you,
I have the pro plus so not sure the app works with it? I am having trouble retrieving the flight data through DJI assistant, the files do not show up. Any sugestions?

Thank you for the quick reply snowvideo. I will be providing you an official DJI Tutorial Video on how to export the DJI Phantom 4's flight data with DJI Assistant 2. I hope this can help. Please keep us posted on the said issue. Thank you.

2018-12-13
Use props
IO826101
lvl.2
Flight distance : 20427 ft
United States

bkljl;jk;jk;j;j;l
2018-12-13
Use props
IO826101
lvl.2
United States

Sorry about the previous reply.  Was just testing the forum reply button.  My p4p (less than one year old) dropped from 50 feet into a treetop below after the video feed went black and the rotors stopped.  I never felt real secure about the way the battery seated into the body.  The last flight was normal with a go gps return to home recorded.   The uploaded flight data record pinpointed the last transmission which is where I saw it fall into the treetop.  However, the DJI data "analyst"  is spinning the notion that the data shows no root cause of this incident and will not honor warranty.  The data ended at the point of losing power.  Beware of any flight related damage.  They will not honor their warranty.  A complete copout.  Would never buy their product ever again!!
2018-12-13
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Insist that they review the data again.  
2018-12-13
Use props
IO826101
lvl.2
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 12-13 13:32
Insist that they review the data again.

the following is the second complete email response that I am getting from the same analyst who refuses to escalate the case or review it.  thanks for replying to my post. at least I think it was my post.

First, we are sorry for the inconvenience caused and we do understanding your disappointment. However, different flights have different situations, so the data analysis should also be done case by case. For this case, you could also review the flight record via your DJI GO 4 APP, the record ended at T=01:16 then there was no more data offered to us. As data analysis should be done by basing on the specific data, without more data, nobody could know what happened afterwards, but that did not mean the aircraft was "malfunctioned".

Second, there are many possibilities will lead to the interruption of the flight record or the connection between the aircraft and the controller. For example, if there was obstacles or interference (visible & invisible), disconnection may happen; the direction of the antenna would also affect the remote connection; but that doesn’t indicate the aircraft itself malfunctioned. Due to the interruption of the record, we do couldn't figure out the cause for this incident, but it can be verified from the record that there was no malfunction found before the record was cut off. For the aircraft's performance, you could review that on the app and the aircraft did perform well before the record ended.

Third, Yes, the RTH would be triggered after the remote signal lost, while based on the current data, we could only see the record ended at T=01:16 but we could not make sure the remote signal was also lost at the same time. The remote signal lost would cause the disconnection of the flight record; but the disconnection of the record did not mean the remote signal was also lost. Also, even if the remote signal was lost at that time, with the record ended, nobody could know what happened after that. But that did not mean the RTH function was failed and the aircraft was “malfunctioned”.

Fourth, sorry to tell you the supervisor doesn't handle customers' cases directly, even if for supervisor, the resolution will also be base on the data analysis result. For this case, it was not we didn't want to locate the root reason, but there was no more data offered to us. For any other questions, you may send that to us via email and we will give you a reply as soon as possible
2018-12-13
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
United States

Can you post the flight log?                        http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/
2018-12-13
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

IO826101 Posted at 12-13 13:25
Sorry about the previous reply.  Was just testing the forum reply button.  My p4p (less than one year old) dropped from 50 feet into a treetop below after the video feed went black and the rotors stopped.  I never felt real secure about the way the battery seated into the body.  The last flight was normal with a go gps return to home recorded.   The uploaded flight data record pinpointed the last transmission which is where I saw it fall into the treetop.  However, the DJI data "analyst"  is spinning the notion that the data shows no root cause of this incident and will not honor warranty.  The data ended at the point of losing power.  Beware of any flight related damage.  They will not honor their warranty.  A complete copout.  Would never buy their product ever again!!

Hi there, We are very sorry that you are having a unpleasant experience with us. I was able to locate your case using your email address, I will coordinate this to our higher department  as soon as possible so that we can further help you. They will contact you during working hours so please keep your line open. Thank you for understanding.
2018-12-13
Use props
IO826101
lvl.2
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 12-13 14:22
Can you post the flight log?                        http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/

1. The aircraft was piloted under GPS mode after taking off, and responded to the pilot's control well; The home point: 19.4834542 -155.9150939;
2. T=01:16, H=16.3 m, D=104.6 m, Battery 94%, the flight record ended and the last recorded coordinate: 19.4825157 -155.9152245.

Aloha: Do you need to see the jpg images generated with this record?  Don't know how to get them to you unless you give me assistance. Mahalo for responding.
2018-12-13
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
United States

IO826101 Posted at 12-13 15:26
1. The aircraft was piloted under GPS mode after taking off, and responded to the pilot's control well; The home point: 19.4834542 -155.9150939;
2. T=01:16, H=16.3 m, D=104.6 m, Battery 94%, the flight record ended and the last recorded coordinate: 19.4825157 -155.9152245.

Just go to the posted link and follow the instructions.  Come back here and post the link to your log.
2018-12-13
Use props
IO826101
lvl.2
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 12-13 15:28
Just go to the posted link and follow the instructions.  Come back here and post the link to your log.

I am really new to this.  Don't have a posted link to go to.  All the log info is in an email from DJI with three jpg attachments. Again, mahalo for responding.
2018-12-13
Use props
IO826101
lvl.2
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 12-13 14:32
Hi there, We are very sorry that you are having a unpleasant experience with us. I was able to locate your case using your email address, I will coordinate this to our higher department  as soon as possible so that we can further help you. They will contact you during working hours so please keep your line open. Thank you for understanding.

Mahalo for your reply.  I am in Hawaii so please be aware of the time change.  Also, the best time to reach me in person by phone is between 10 and 12 am Hawaii Standard time.  Email (which you have) is my preferred method of communication if the phone does not work out.
2018-12-13
Use props
IO826101
lvl.2
United States

IO826101 Posted at 12-13 16:00
I am really new to this.  Don't have a posted link to go to.  All the log info is in an email from DJI with three jpg attachments. Again, mahalo for responding.

Found the link you were referring to  above (logviewer) and will try and get that to you by tomorrow.  Mahalo
2018-12-13
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Sorry to know that mate
2018-12-14
Use props
fansaed0d5c4
New

Singapore

Sadly. I experienced similar fakling from.sky today 1150am.
Sky was clear. Weather fine. Good lighting.

Flew for 15mins. Batteries 60%. Remote 80%.
Coming back to home when i slowly decend and aim camera towards me. Suddenly it fell (lost power though props are turning) and fell into a tree.  

Logs didn't indicate anything. Remote stick was not touched and it showed sudden 10m drop.  
2018-12-27
Use props
fansaed0d5c4
New

Singapore

Help. My p4p is only 12mts old. Flew 10 times. Total 200mins flight time.

DJI P4P not too reliable i fear.
2018-12-27
Use props
snowvideo
lvl.2
United States

An update to my original post:
In an attempt to help others in this similar situation here is my story continued.

After some back and forth with DJI Online and my inability to make a connection with the plus model to upload the flight logs (some kind of known problem there) being within the warranty period it was concluded the best thing to do was to create a case number and ship both the drone and remote to them. They provided a label for shipping and I packed up the drone with remote and off it went to CA from CT. It took a week for them to receive it, and another 2 days to review and respond to me with the following:

Dear Customer
After carrying out the damage assessment, we found Out of warranty; Ac not responding correctly to commands Flight controller damaged. Unfortunately, damage that is not caused by a product malfunction or is out of the warranty period is not covered by DJI aftersales policy. Damage was not caused by product malfunction. We'll either repair it or replace it with a product that's new or equivalent to new in both performance and reliability after payment has been received. For more information, please visit (http://www.dji.com/service/policy)

Item List
Main Controller
Quantity: 1 Net Price : 69.00 Total Price: 69.00
Repair Service Fee : Quantity: 1 Net Price : 65.00 Total Price: 65.00
Shipping Cost 0.00
Total Amount 134.00
Discount 0.00
Total Payment (USD$) 134.00

Of Course I was confused by this on 2 levels. 1’st, my drone was under warranty as confirmed by the person I chatted with online who created the case. 2’nd My issue had nothing to do with the flight controller or “Ac not responding correctly to commands” or so I thought.

My drone went totally dead midair, battery had fresh charge, props stopped, camera shut off, just as if the battery was removed. The unusual part was I was only 3’ off the ground over a pile of soft snow, I was just about to shot over a tree line and if that happened I would have had a pile of plastic instead of a fully intact drone. My Controller never shut off or stopped working. Thinking it may be a battery issue, I grabbed the other fully charged battery put it in and did a test, hovering 12” off the ground, everything seemed ok then dead, dropped just like before.

None of the above sounded like a controller issue to me, I felt like they never even reviewed the flight log or video showing it just shut down. On top of the fact it was under warranty I started my series of Online chats over the next 2 weeks explaining the above story at least 6 times. I was promised it would be re reviewed and escalated. During this period I was also able to prove my drone was in fact under warranty, it had run out of warranty in their possession.

After the last and admittedly testy online chat approximately 2 months after this all started, I felt like I was getting a run around and told them as such. They said they would have someone call me, they did. The call went similar to the chats, I explained what happened again and was promised a fast response.

3 days later I receive the following:

Dear Customer,
Your repair service of Phantom 4 Pro will be covered under warranty. Repair will be finished within three to six business days.
Main Controller
Quantity: 1 Net Price : 69.00 Total Price: 69.00
Repair Service Fee : Quantity: 1 Net Price : 65.00 Total Price: 65.00
Shipping Cost 0.00
Total Amount 134.00
Total Payment (USD$) 0.00

Apparently they had come to the same conclusion, the “Main Controller” failed. Concerned this was not the problem and assuming this was the controller they were repairing I entered an online chat. It was only at this time I was told the Main Controller is the brain of the AC, not in the controller.

Well…Ok, it seems to me I would have had a bit less stress if that was explained to me in the beginning but whatever. In regards to the warranty discrepancy? I will chalk that up to it being so close and if running out while they had it. Stressful?...yes, these things are very expensive, I do expect a certain level of service that should come with them. I think there is some work to be done in that area for DJI.
How’s the drone? I received notification it is shipping, I will update when it is received and tested. My advice if you are in a similar situation, don’t give up if you know your case is not user error.

2019-2-5
Use props
snowvideo
lvl.2
United States

snowvideo Posted at 2-5 06:41
An update to my original post:
In an attempt to help others in this similar situation here is my story continued.

I received the drone. It appears as it has been replaced with either a new drone or a reconditioned one, the only information I received is the "main Controller" has been repaired. I have done 2 test flights both were successful although I did have a "gimbal overload" warning and the gimble was acting weird. I did a gimbal calibration and so far it seems ok. I will update if there are any additional issues.

To summarize, I feel lucky my drone was not only retrievable after the obvious malfunction but it was in one piece. I feel DJI would have assumed and pushed for user error if it was not in the condition it was in. I feel bad for anyone who has experienced the power failure issue I experienced and all I can say is do not give up and fight for your yourself, there is a known problem with these drones dropping from the sky and DJI is well aware or the issue.
2019-2-17
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If it was in warranty, why did you have to pay? glad you finally got it sorted though
2019-2-17
Use props
snowvideo
lvl.2
United States

Bashy Posted at 2-17 19:30
If it was in warranty, why did you have to pay? glad you finally got it sorted though

In the end I did not pay. There was some confusion as my warranty ended while it was at DJI for repair. after that was sorted out they covered it under warranty.
2019-2-18
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Phew, all good then
2019-2-18
Use props
snowvideo
lvl.2
United States

Update: I'm the guy who buys a cool new toy or in this case a new tool for work and it just works, no matter how many bad reviews or issues that are known....this is not the case with my Phantom 4 pro plus purchase.
My last update on this left off after I received the new or reconditioned drone back from DJI. After a few more short flights I determined the gimbal was defective. Overload error on remote and camera was “glitching”, making quick movements in the downward motion. Back to DJI support I went, after a few attempts at updates it was determined it needed to be sent in, back to DJI it went. Keep in mind I live in CT it ships to CA, 6 days travel each way, 12 day round trip before service.
3 weeks later the drone arrives. A different serial number again so another refurbished or new drone. I quickly noticed the remote now has a crack and a mark that clearly looks like it was dropped. I know for a fact I have never dropped the remote, heck, I have barely had a chance to use it! I proceed to fire up the drone…big problem, no power, fully charged batteries and no power...nothing, no fan...nothing. Back to DJI service, I tell them about the cracked remote as well, they said they will take care of it. Very apologetic but back to DJI it goes, 3rd trip! Promised faster service this time…ok

4 weeks later drone arrives, a bit slower than last time but whatever. Open up the box, the remote appears to be replaced or repaired…great. I go through the set up process and the map feature does not want to work, back to online help and they suggest a firmware reboot, I do that and get the maps to work. I notice with the remote running for some time now the back of the remote where the battery is located is extremely hot, you can’t even hold your finger on it hot. I go to DJI online support once again they suggest I reboot it again…I did then let it cool fully. Charged it up, connected the repaired/replaced drone and did a short test flight, no issues I could see other than remote still got very hot, within 10 min. I put it away for the day. Next day I try again, short flight, within sight, clear day, nothing in the way of the drone and it lost connection to the remote, it says coming home, it fly’s to the home area hovering approximately 100’ up, stays there for a second then….loses power and drops like a rock to the dirt completely destroyed.

Now…I am a patient man, very rarely do I even get upset over anything…I’m upset. I storm into the house and get online with DJI “so very sorry this has happened” is not working with me right now. I let them know how unhappy I am with this product and that I purchased it a year ago now and have yet had a working drone for more than a week or so at a time. At this point they need to do more than send me a refurbished drone that clearly has not been fully tested. I told them all this, and was promised they would make me happy this time….the 4th time!

To be honest…I don’t think I could trust this thing for work at this point, since a full refund is not on the table I guess I will be as happy as I can be if I get a drone that works, (losing faith in that at this point) I will update again when I get it back.

2019-8-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules