iOS vs Android Software
931 7 2018-12-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Spark_Raider
lvl.1

United States

Hello all. My first post here (received a Spark for Christmas). I recently purchased a iPhone XS Max and am considering using it as my screen for my remote. However, I have a old Note 4 and a iPhone 6. Any suggestions on which platform I shouid use (quick updates, less buggy, smoother response) when flying using a cellphone.

Thanks in advance.

~Spark Raider
2018-12-30
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

I think the iPhone will work better, but try both for yourself and see which one performs better.

Flysafely
Alex
2018-12-31
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Try both!
Is the iOS your "day phone"?
The Android has the option, to use easy older GO4 versions.
Also the moded Go4
Aside, there seems to be a android 8 custom rom available.

It is worth a try, methinks!
2018-12-31
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there, congratulations with your new spark. They are both powerful devices and you can test both. As your guide, you can also refer to our recommended devices using this link: (https://www.dji.com/spark/downloads). Just take note that even the device is not listed on the recommended devices, there's a possibility that it will still work fine. However, we cannot ensure if you can use all the features and functionality of the APP. Please let us know if you have any problem after testing those mobile devices. Thanks for your support.

2018-12-31
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think both platforms will work out fine for you. I mostly use Android but iOS is excellent as well.
2019-1-1
Use props
Spark_Raider
lvl.1

United States

I would prefer to not use my every day cell phone, and just use a dedicated old phone from my drawer (that way I could just throw it in the case). Sounds like I'll use my Note 4. Will I still need a OTG cable? Can I use Micro USB to Micro USB? I've noticed that the Note 4's home button seems to interfere with the Sparks cell phone holder clamps, looks like I'll have to go the tablet holder route. Time to get familiar with the screen and see all it does.
2019-1-1
Use props
darkfull1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13114 ft
Switzerland

Android is way more open than IOS.
2019-1-3
Use props
Monkee
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7149 ft
United Kingdom

Hi Spark_Raider,

Congratulations on getting your Spark, I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with it !

One thing to consider is if you are using a phone that doesn't have a network connection, then it won't be able to pull-in the map data when you are at the flying site - it's an easy fix as you just need to 'visit' the area on the Google maps app when you are at home on WiFi.

If the phone is going to be online, then you may want to get the OTG cable, as apparently Android can't handle simultaneous WiFi and data connections, hence if you are connected to your controller via WiFi, then even with the phone online it won't pull-in the map data 'on-the-fly' - again a simple fix though if you didn't visit the site on the Google app before hand as above - just open Google maps and do a GPS fix with your data on when you get to where you are going to fly before you power-up your controller & Spark, hence it'll use the 3G/4G/LTE connection.

I fly with both IOS and Android, I don't really notice any difference (other than the data bit above), I just prefer my Android as the screen is bigger !

Have fun
2019-1-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules