UK Drone Code - help....
1251 4 2019-1-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CJL
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi there,

Newbie pilot here with some questions, hoping that I can get some input from more experienced members:

I'd like to get some sort of 3rd Party Liability Insurance in case of accidental damage or personal injury (I'm a hobbyist and not making any money from my flights)
Are there any insurers that offer such a service, with a proven track record of paying out in the event of a claim?
What sort of cover is offered? Any exclusions I should look out for?
I've seen the Photoguard insurance you get if you join them as a member, it looks cheap and OK?

Also:
I wanted to clarify what the current legal position is in the UK with drone flights, and also get my mind straight about what I can and can't do with regard to the UK Drone Code.

So, I understand most of the Drone Code, but I'm not sure about Point 4: keeping the right distance from people and property.
Specifically: what constitutes the difference between People/properties and Crowds/built up areas.

My interpretation was:
  • I have to maintain 50m from pedestrians and domestic properties (and by implication, residential areas?) - but I can overfly them as long as I'm 50m above. So I can fly over my neighbourhood.
  • I must maintain 150m from built up areas (such as town centres) and crowds  - and I can't overfly them

Does anyone else interpret this in the same way?
More specifically, does that comply with the spirit of the code (and the underlying CAA guidance)?

I was thinking an alternative interpretation could be that:
  • 50m to be maintained from a single, isolated property.
  • I must maintain 150m from residential areas, built up areas (such as town centres) and crowds - and I can't overfly them
I can see that I can't overfly a 'built up area' but it comes down to what the interpretation of that is.  A town centre is dense in terms of buildings and footfall.
My local neighbourhood isn't as dense (example of the type of area I live in is below).

I think the Drone Code is very useful, but I can't seem to find any firm guidance on this specific point.

Anyone have any thoughts or input?

Drone Code Rule 4:

Drone Code Rule 4

Drone Code Rule 4

Example of residential area:

Neighbourhood example

Neighbourhood example
Neighbourhood 4.png

2019-1-13
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and Good day CJL. Thank you for reaching out. I hope you'll get the best recommendation here from our valued DJI members and customers. Thank you for your support.
2019-1-13
Use props
mavic2zoom-ch
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5547667 ft
United Kingdom

Not what you want to hear, but:

https://twitter.com/uk_caa/status/815891736753045504?lang=en

"UK Civil Aviation Authority
@UK_CAA
3 Jan 2017
You have to use your judgment (sic) when flying in any location. Housing estates would generally be regarded as built up areas though"
2019-1-13
Use props
CJL
lvl.1

United Kingdom

mavic2zoom-ch Posted at 1-13 12:20

Definitely not what I wanted to hear but I think that's given me the clarity that I was hoping for, thank you
2019-1-13
Use props
CJL
lvl.1

United Kingdom

mavic2zoom-ch Posted at 1-13 12:20

Definitely not what I wanted to hear but I think that's given me the clarity that I was hoping for, thank you
2019-1-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules