do you need to calibrate compass every flight or is this a myth
Ive flown several times on one compass calibration and never had RTH issues

2019-1-14
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

No you do not normally need to do Compass Calibration. Once you have completed it as per DJI Tutorial when you first receive it - it should be good for near all your flights from then on.

There are people who mistakenly say you NEVER have to do it again ... sorry buts that wrong.

The IMU calibration includes a combination with the Compass - check the IMU screen and you will see the Compass boxes. If I do an IMU calibration - I always do Compass as well to BE SURE all is well. Its better to be safe than sorry.
Second if you move thousands of miles - then the earths magnetic field (variation) alters - it is not essential to calibrate - but again its a case of Safer than Sorry.
Those who argue this - have not paid for my P3 ... therefore I wish to protect my investment and not trust another.

Nigel
2019-1-14
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Put simply, You should never have to calibrate your compass.  If you get an error, it's because you are near something steel when you launch.   Just move to another area.
2019-1-14
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Never start up your drone near iron, steel, etc.  Be wary of what's underneath you.  

Launch.  Hover for 10-20 secs.  Study.

If your drone holds steady, you're good to go.  This will be 98% of your flights.

If your drone does a slow circle several times, land, calibrate compass.

If your drone drifts off in one direction in a straight line, land, calibrate IMU.  If it doesn't hold altitude, land, calibrate IMU.  Be sure to level AC before doing an IMU calibration.

Good luck
2019-1-14
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

I do not agree with many items DJI say to do or especially their battery advice ... but one thing I do accept :

When you first get your model ... before first flight - get to a nice clear spot preferably out in a field well away from any magnetics and do a compass calibration. DJI specifically list this in their New Purchase Initial Start up videos.

I'd rather trust a good calibration I have done - than go blind accepting whatever factory / service has done.
On the subject to Compass Warning ... and message advising to calibrate. I would generally suggest that not be followed. Power down. Move a few metres and then power up again. It is usually due to something in the ground or around that triggers the error. Just moving is often not good enough. Powering off and then back up again resets the gear and it initialises again ... often without the error when moved.

As to the word : never. That is a rather exact defined word and one that I rarely accept .....

Nigel
2019-1-14
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day nightshade1960. Thank you for raising this is inquiry. You need to calibrate the compass of your drone in every new flight location. The compass of your drone is sensitive to interference and can affect the performance of the drone. I will be posting a link where you can find the user manual for your DJI Phantom 3 Standard to help you further. Thank you.

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... ser+Manual+v1.4.pdf

2019-1-14
Use props
NM_Quad
lvl.4
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-14 08:21
Hello and good day nightshade1960. Thank you for raising this is inquiry. You need to calibrate the compass of your drone in every new flight location. The compass of your drone is sensitive to interference and can affect the performance of the drone. I will be posting a link where you can find the user manual for your DJI Phantom 3 Standard to help you further. Thank you.

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phantom_3_standard/20170623/Phantom+3+Standard+User+Manual+v1.4.pdf

I can't remember the last time I did a compass calibration on my P3S and that's flying from locations 100 miles or so from home.  Got a calibration alert once while attempting to fly on a massive lava field ... makes sense with all that metalized rock.  The P3S is quite sensitive and alerts you when a significant change occurs.  Recalibrated when I got back home and never since.  As stated, do a calibration when you first get it and maybe periodically, or when you move a significant difference or to country with a much different terrain (like from the beach to the mountains).  But not necessary before each flight.
2019-1-14
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The original purpose of compass calibration was designed for earlier Pantom 2 aircraft where you could fit your own camera. It was intended to allow the aircraft to detect and recognise its own magnetic field. From the P3 onwards, the camera was fixed and only needed to be calibrated once. The compass is not affected to any significant degree by local magnetic variation, thus there is no need to calibrate, even if you change location, this is urban myth. The only time you need to re-calibrate the compass is if you fit some metallic device to the aircraft.
2019-1-14
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

NM_Quad Posted at 1-14 13:57
I can't remember the last time I did a compass calibration on my P3S and that's flying from locations 100 miles or so from home.  Got a calibration alert once while attempting to fly on a massive lava field ... makes sense with all that metalized rock.  The P3S is quite sensitive and alerts you when a significant change occurs.  Recalibrated when I got back home and never since.  As stated, do a calibration when you first get it and maybe periodically, or when you move a significant difference or to country with a much different terrain (like from the beach to the mountains).  But not necessary before each flight.

Thank you for the additional information you have given us today NM_Quad and thank you for your support.
2019-1-14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

My first P4 pro is over two years old now, has done >850 flights and is a professional workhorse.
I still haven't calibrated anything on it since new.
Under normal circumstances, you shouldn't have to calibrate your compass unless you modify or rebuild your Phantom.
Anyone suggestingotherwise doesn't understand what compass calibration does.

Read p57 of the manual.

2019-1-14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-14 08:21

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phantom_3_standard/20170623/Phantom+3+Standard+User+Manual+v1.4.pdf

It would help if DJI people on the forum actually knew what they were talking about.
Go and check the manual for the P4 pro (either version) p57 and you'll find this:

Only calibrate the compass when the DJI GO 4 app or the status indicator prompt you to do so.
That's pretty clear and unambiguous.
There's no mention of calibrating when the Phantom is new, when you move across the street or across the world, after firmware updates or IMU calibrations or on days that end in a Y.

2019-1-14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

solentlife Posted at 1-14 03:38
No you do not normally need to do Compass Calibration. Once you have completed it as per DJI Tutorial when you first receive it - it should be good for near all your flights from then on.

There are people who mistakenly say you NEVER have to do it again ... sorry buts that wrong.

If I do an IMU calibration - I always do Compass as well to BE SURE all is well. Its better to be safe than sorry.
Of course it's better to be safe than sorry, but the best way to be safe is to understand what you are doing and why rather than having a superstitious belief that it somehow makes things safer.
Second if you move thousands of miles - then the earths magnetic field (variation) alters - it is not essential to calibrate - but again its a case of Safer than Sorry.
Those who argue this - have not paid for my P3 ... therefore I wish to protect my investment and not trust another.
Doing something that's unnecessary and that you don't understand, doesn't make things safer.
Learning what compass calibration actually does makes you safer.

2019-1-14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

NM_Quad Posted at 1-14 13:57
I can't remember the last time I did a compass calibration on my P3S and that's flying from locations 100 miles or so from home.  Got a calibration alert once while attempting to fly on a massive lava field ... makes sense with all that metalized rock.  The P3S is quite sensitive and alerts you when a significant change occurs.  Recalibrated when I got back home and never since.  As stated, do a calibration when you first get it and maybe periodically, or when you move a significant difference or to country with a much different terrain (like from the beach to the mountains).  But not necessary before each flight.

do a calibration when you first get it and maybe periodically, or when you move a significant difference or to country with a much different terrain (like from the beach to the mountains).
None of those are conditions that require recalibrating the compass.
2019-1-14
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

As an ex professional Navigator and having been examined at length and deeply on Compass theory and its errors / corrections ... I stand on my PoV ...

What others do in their misguided ill informed worlds are up to them.
Some posts remind me of the old boy driving his car ... "Been driving 50 years and never had an accident" ..... pity about the carnage he's left in his wake.

Nigel
2019-1-15
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
United States

"As an ex professional Navigator and having been examined at length and deeply on Compass theory and its errors / corrections ... "
Hmmmmm,  Makes you wonder if someone changes their plugs on a car after ever little ride.
2019-1-15
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

solentlife Posted at 1-15 01:06
As an ex professional Navigator and having been examined at length and deeply on Compass theory and its errors / corrections ... I stand on my PoV ...

But in this case, you are the one that's ill-informed and doesn't understand what compass calibration actually does.
I know you've had it explained by actual experts but you still cling to your profound ignorance of the Phantom compass.
That's fine, but you should keep your superstitious ideas to yourself and not try to spread them.

2019-1-15
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Says you ....

Sad ....

"actual experts" ... on here ? YOU ??? that's a laugh.

"keep your superstitious ideas to yourself and not try to spread them" ..... Ha Ha ... seems you have difficulty reading and understanding. And I suggest to YOU  and your bosom Pal ... stop telling people to NEVER do calibration ... what an idiotic statement to make.

Go back and read where I say clearly that once calibrated it should be good to go and normally not need it again. But I would certainly not be so stupid as to say NEVER do it ...

Looks like someone needs to walk past your pram and give you your toys back.

2019-1-15
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

solentlife Posted at 1-15 10:28
Says you ....

Sad ....

I was actually thinking of someone else that I've seen schooling you on the Phantom's compass.

You're rather inconsistent saying it should be good to go and not normally need it again and then advocate doing it anyway from time to time since "it's better to be safe than sorry".

What that shows is that you still don't understand what compass calibration does.
2019-1-15
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 1-14 22:08
It would help if DJI people on the forum actually knew what they were talking about.
Go and check the manual for the P4 pro (either version) p57 and you'll find this:
  Only calibrate the compass when the DJI GO 4 app or the status indicator prompt you to do so.That's pretty clear and unambiguous.There's no mention of calibrating when the Phantom is new, when you move across the street or across the world, after firmware updates or IMU calibrations or on days that end in a Y.

Well, considering the OP has a phantom 3, thats what manual DJI Stephen had quote from/linked to......

I wouldnt calibrate mine again, even if the app told me to, i would just move it a bit a see what it says then...
2019-1-15
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Labroides Posted at 1-15 15:10
I was actually thinking of someone else that I've seen schooling you on the Phantom's compass.

You're rather inconsistent saying it should be good to go and not normally need it again and then advocate doing it anyway from time to time since "it's better to be safe than sorry".

We can ignore the bit about schooling because as was evident from his lengthy 'treatise' - he had ignored first principles - which were spelt out to him plainly. He then went on to indicate that the digital compass which is used here and in many other quads - which for interests sake - I have built and flown like many others - was imbued with magical powers !

Inconsistent ? Really ? Has the Aussie life destroyed your command of the English language ?

My point in all - is that once calibrated it should not NORMALLY be necessary to re-calibrate. But there are cases where it can be advisable and as i said - better safe than sorry.
Bit like the tyres on your car ... you pump up to pressure ... and each time you drive - you casually look and see tyres look ok. car manufacturers state that you should check tyre pressures regularly - some say weekly ... others say etc.  Even though they look OK ... when you put the gauge on - you find they are not what they appear. So what is it ? Your Never or my safer than sorry ?

Labroides ... go cry somewhere else if you have nothing better to say.
2019-1-16
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Bashy Posted at 1-15 19:26
Well, considering the OP has a phantom 3, thats what manual DJI Stephen had quote from/linked to......

I wouldnt calibrate mine again, even if the app told me to, i would just move it a bit a see what it says then...

Which is the general and accepted by users remedy.

The warning to recalibrate is generally triggered by local anomaly. Moving position and powering on again often clears it ... even with only a few mts moved.

The warning message - like many - are jacks of all and have to be viewed as indicator of problem ... moving / powering off and back on again should be first steps to eliminate local effects before resorting to calibrating.

2019-1-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

solentlife Posted at 1-16 00:23
We can ignore the bit about schooling because as was evident from his lengthy 'treatise' - he had ignored first principles - which were spelt out to him plainly. He then went on to indicate that the digital compass which is used here and in many other quads - which for interests sake - I have built and flown like many others - was imbued with magical powers !

Inconsistent ? Really ? Has the Aussie life destroyed your command of the English language ?

That's right, the compass is like your tyres.
You have to pump up the compass ....

You're out on your own when it comes to understanding the compass.
In your own little world of unreality and blinded to your own ignorance.
And besides that you're such a nice guy.
Tosser
2019-1-16
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
United States

"Looks like someone needs to walk past your pram and give you your toys back."   PRAM????  Never heard of that one!  I have eaten ham, spam, and the like.  Exactly what part of the hog is that?  Maybe you're thinking about Pam.  You know, the stuff you spray on a baking pan to keep the biscuits from stickin.
2019-1-16
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Hmm.  From what I can tell, it appears to be some kind of baby carriage:

https://www.google.com/search?q= ... iw=1920&bih=889

That's why I like this site.  I learn new stuff every day...
2019-1-16
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Pram is the short version for the name Perambulator ..... a baby carriage on wheels.

The old saying for someone who's throwing a fit :

One who throws their toys out of the 'pram'.

Fits very nicely.
2019-1-16
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Labroides Posted at 1-16 04:54
That's right, the compass is like your tyres.
You have to pump up the compass ....

Oh Dear now resorting to name calling.

If that's the road you wish to do down :

I very quickly realised a long time ago why so many PM's I received complaining about you Labroides - gave you the name 'Haemorrhoids'.

Based on you being a real PITA.

2019-1-16
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
United States

solentlife Posted at 1-16 06:48
Oh Dear now resorting to name calling.

If that's the road you wish to do down :

Maybe you should calibrate the compass on your “pram”. It seems to be  forever pointed to a vodka bottle.   With a nipple on it, of course.
2019-1-16
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Well, that soon escalated lol
2019-1-16
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Its easy to predict when the 'gang' starts to support each other ... its been here for a long time and its so easy to provoke it. And the amazing part of it - they'll even support each other when wrong !!

They bite every time..... you can put money on it. At least it brightens up a dull day feeding the 'fish'.
There's been a running message session on and off here - to see how long it would be before they launched in together ... guess what - I won the bet !!

2019-1-16
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
United States

Ole chap,  Check your spelling!
2019-1-16
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

ALABAMA Posted at 1-16 11:02
Ole chap,  Check your spelling!

Please choose :

Colonial English such as Websters ...

or

English by Oxford ?

2019-1-16
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
United States

Let's see.  Well as both sound pretty sissified, I'll  take some  Alabama slang.  By the way, sorry to hear about your roids.  Just keep rubbing that preparation H on those lips and teeth every night and you'll maybe get better.  That beer and vodka tool shed ya got ain't helping neither.
2019-1-16
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
United States

Labroides has forgotten more than you will ever learn, my good man.  Your known jealousy of him precedes you.  Keep the stiff upper lip,  pile on the prep H, and go beddy bye before you pass out.
2019-1-16
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

There's nothing like Comrades in Arms to maintain self belief ... go for it A .....

Lets see how low you can really go ...

2019-1-17
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
United States

Go away little fly.  No time to waste on you today. I was on my morning run and stepped on a pile of stolentfife.
2019-1-17
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Ahhh ... the fun is all in having you bite ... again ... again .... and again ....

Back to serious banter ...
2019-1-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

And I thought it was me. Hahaha

D95F58B6-563D-4921-AE7D-68EFB65CB7BE.jpeg

RedHotPoker
2019-1-18
Use props
stuka75
Second Officer
Flight distance : 85682 ft
United States

"Not that anyone cares"   , but I've traveled 1200 miles twice from home without needing to calibrate compass. With both a p3 S and a Spark. sorry to change the subject LOL.
2019-1-22
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

stuka75 Posted at 1-22 16:35
"Not that anyone cares"   , but I've traveled 1200 miles twice from home without needing to calibrate compass. With both a p3 S and a Spark. sorry to change the subject LOL.

That must have been with an extra capacity fligh pack!.. hahaha

Did you maintain VLOS using Lume Cubes. Chuckles

8B8BF83E-019B-4C2C-86B0-D99EAB254409.jpeg
RedHotPoker
2019-1-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules