Inspire 1 still a good choice?
3734 10 2019-1-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
timdelma
lvl.2
Belgium

I have the opportunity to buy a second hand Inspire 1 with the standard Zenmuse X3 + 3 batteries for less then 800 euro (little over 900 dollar). Drone is totally revised and works still good.
As a photographer I would like to use the Inspire to ake pictures and also to make video's.
Is the Inspire 1 in 2019 still a valid option for a photographer?
2019-1-15
Use props
Kevin Halle
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1297612 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think it's a great choice personally. I have the X5 with mine and takes great pictures and video.
2019-1-16
Use props
JBSonic
Second Officer
Flight distance : 779019 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I think the problem with the Inspire 1 is that if you dont go for the RAW version, you are basically wasting your money on a expensive large drone for no advantage what so ever.
The normal Inspire 1, even with the X5 camera, only shoots at a maximum of about 65mb/s bitrate. That is the same as the Phantom 3 I believe, or Mavic Pro.
The Phantom 4 Pro already shoots at 100mb/s bitrate.
If you use the RAW version then of course you have a big difference in quality that justifies the investment, but for the normal version not really.

IF you go with larger drones like the Inspire, you have to consider that it is in every way inferior to the Phantom or Mavic series. It is much larger, difficult to transport, more complicated (more can fail), obviously more expensive, harder to use etc.

You wouldnt want all those negatives without getting a great image from it in the end. So either go RAW Inspire 1 (or 2) or stick with Phantom 4 / Mavic series
2019-1-16
Use props
timdelma
lvl.2
Belgium

JBSonic Posted at 1-16 04:38
I think the problem with the Inspire 1 is that if you dont go for the RAW version, you are basically wasting your money on a expensive large drone for no advantage what so ever.
The normal Inspire 1, even with the X5 camera, only shoots at a maximum of about 65mb/s bitrate. That is the same as the Phantom 3 I believe, or Mavic Pro.
The Phantom 4 Pro already shoots at 100mb/s bitrate.

What do you mean with 'RAW' Inspire 1?
2019-1-16
Use props
HyperSpectral
lvl.4
Flight distance : 839160 ft
United States

timdelma Posted at 1-16 05:12
What do you mean with 'RAW' Inspire 1?

If you don't know what RAW is then you aren't the level of photographer that needs more than the Inspire 1..
2019-1-16
Use props
timdelma
lvl.2
Belgium

HyperSpectral Posted at 1-16 05:39
If you don't know what RAW is then you aren't the level of photographer that needs more than the Inspire 1..

I know what RAW files are, duh! I never work with JPEG (pictures), but always with RAW files

But you talk about 'RAW inspire 1 or 2'...
2019-1-16
Use props
HyperSpectral
lvl.4
Flight distance : 839160 ft
United States

timdelma Posted at 1-16 05:43
I know what RAW files are, duh! I never work with JPEG (pictures), but always with RAW files

But you talk about 'RAW inspire 1 or 2'...

Ah I misunderstood, the RAW version simply has the capability of capturing the RAW format. I think you only need the X5R for that and any version of the Inspire 1 will accept it but the previous argument is such that it isn't worth it considering smaller cheaper systems already handle RAW
2019-1-16
Use props
Caspers driver
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4540515 ft
United States

If the drone is in good shape and the batteries check out, then I personally wouldn’t have a problem getting it. The inspire 1 is still a wonderful camera platform.

As been mentioned, the x3 won’t allow RAW shooting, but LOTS of great photos and videos have been taken with it, with more to come.

You can always update to x5 (or x5r) later if you want   The x5 allows RAW in still photos but you’ll need x5r for videos.

And, the inspire is just fun to fly!!

Good luck.
2019-1-16
Use props
timdelma
lvl.2
Belgium

Caspers driver Posted at 1-16 11:54
If the drone is in good shape and the batteries check out, then I personally wouldn’t have a problem getting it. The inspire 1 is still a wonderful camera platform.

As been mentioned, the x3 won’t allow RAW shooting, but LOTS of great photos and videos have been taken with it, with more to come.

Ok, thx! I learned a lot!
I did not know the X3 could not create/capture RAW-files. This is, for me as a photographer, a dealbreaker, because upgrading to X5R + lens is not cheap (and way over my budget).

No doubt the Inspire 1 (or 2) is fun to fly... It will something for the future. Or maybe the new Phantom 5? ;-)
2019-1-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day timdelma. Thank you for choosing DJI and for sharing your experience with us today. If you have any inquiries or concerns. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum for as to help you.
2019-1-17
Use props
mixchief
Second Officer
Flight distance : 182057 ft
  • >>>
United States

timdelma Posted at 1-17 00:24
Ok, thx! I learned a lot!
I did not know the X3 could not create/capture RAW-files. This is, for me as a photographer, a dealbreaker, because upgrading to X5R + lens is not cheap (and way over my budget).

Unless the P5 is (as rumored) an interchangeable lens camera it cannot hope to come close to the capabilities PHOTOGRAPHICALLY of the X5 not o mention sensor size etc. The smaller glass will also affect overall quality, it won't matter if it's a 25 mp or 5 mp camera if the lens cannot deliver the resolution and I seriously doubt a tiny lens can. Now of course if you are looking at higher quality video, you need at least the X5R, to compete even with the P4, mechanical shutter also makes a difference, but I still think the X5R neats P4P video.
2019-1-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules