A few observations
759 6 2019-1-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_renqJF6lT8Mr
lvl.1
Canada

So I purchased the OP just before xmas and ended up returning it yesterday (yes paid a restocking fee) but I have a few observations I wanted to share:
  • It is amazing what this little device does well. Stabilized 4k footage is fantastic in an item this small. I was blown away by the footage when shot within its limitations
  • I should have done more research before purchasing to find out exactly what I needed to use my phone for to access certain functionalitites. This was one of the reasons for returning it. In order to get the most out of it using ND filters for smooth footage it really requires the phone connection to adjust and be able to see the changing parameters. I understand that once set you can disengage the phone but in changing light it just means reconnecting it again. As mentioned I should have done a bit more research before buying maybe
  • The OP did not come with some key items I thought it would like D-Cinelike. Usually someone using ND filters will be the type of creator that will use flat profiles as they want to get the most out of the footage they shoot
  • With the above points and certain focusing issues it just did not feel like the whole process was as handy or dependable as advertised (again I should have maybe read more before buying)
  • I really wanted to like the OP as I do think it has the potential to be fantastic and with future firmwares who knows maybe it will be and I will kick myself for returning it
  • I ended up paying a slight restocking fee and trading it for the Hero 7 which will be consistant. I do not shoot in low light so that limitation does not concern me so much. I definitely feel that the OP footage is better when it does as it should though but at this point I will take consistancy and ease as my priority
  • I may end up buying the 2nd generation of the OP or the original one again if the firmware manages to introduce some key elements as marketed and less reliance on the use of the phone

This is just my honest assesment of the Osmo Pocket product. It is a shame it did not work out for me but I am sure for a lot of folks it will and thats great.

2019-1-17
Use props
MagicRide
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6766027 ft
United States

In all honesty I should have returned mine because in comparison to my Samsung note 8 it is not any better. The stability maybe a little better but still you have a lot of problems with focus pumping which my Note 8 does not have.  There's a lot of vertical movement unless you can Ninja walk, and there's also a lot of motion blurr, and shakiness when shooting in 4k 30fps. So 4k or 1080 in 60fps is a must if you want stable footage.  If you want pro mode you still have to use your phone which makes for a cumbersome setup. In all I'm a little disappointed and I wish I would done my homework a little better. If you're happy with it great, this is just my two cents.
2019-1-17
Use props
j.r.r.
lvl.4
Canada

Make sure you read about Hero 7 Black issues. My last about 20 minutes of recording in 4K at 60fps and then without any warnings it shutdown.
2019-1-17
Use props
djiuser_renqJF6lT8Mr
lvl.1
Canada

Thanks I will check it out. I rarely record for longer than 5 min at a time. I heard something about that being an issue potentially related to the SD card being used but will read further.
2019-1-17
Use props
Upscaleman
lvl.3
United States

I recommend that nobody buy the Osmo Pocket NOR the GoPro 7 Black.....simply wait for the absolutely PERFECT camera to be released before you spend a cent.....
2019-1-17
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
American Samoa

I honestly can relate all these points as I posted on a previous post with similar reason why I have thought of returning mine.  The form factor of carrying  stabilized 4k 60 in my pocket in such a small device is what is holding me back from returning it.  It has potential for some b roll footage, and I no longer will need to carry my heavy gimbal set up for some simple shots.  I experimented with the wireless module and it's a game changer.  It's a bummer that in order to access most features you have to use your phone, but then I come to realize that if that's the case why not just take video with my iPhone X instead. Sure my phone can do most of the features that the osmo pocket offers except gimbal stabilization, but for stabilized video I will still need to carry my phone gimbal and still deal with the OIS issues of the iPhone.  The osmo pocket is not a perfect camera, and I cannot  ignore its shortcomings.  Then I began experimenting with the timelapse mode and oh man, it's amazing the things you can capture with such small device.  I even ordered some filters today just to test it out.  I still have 2 weeks to play with it before I make up my mind and hopefully it does not disappoint.  I don't want to sound overly enthusiastic about the osmo pocket because as much as I love it, I hate it.

I also own the Gopro Hero 7 Black and is a great camera but the stabilization suffers in low light.  That is another reason I want to give the osmo pocket a second chance and also because of the straight horizon you can get from a 3 axis gimbal.  Hopefully DJI can fix some of the most crucial shortcomings of this camera in the upcoming firmwares and maybe you can reconsider.   
2019-1-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day. Thank you for sharing your experiences with the DJI Osmo Pocket and thank you for your support.
2019-1-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules