Mavic Air Possible Camera Issue
1329 12 2019-1-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JvL
lvl.1
Austria

Dear Drone Community,

As I have written in another thread, I have received my Mavic Air yesterday, and was suspecting a problem with my camera/sensor.
In my indoor footage, I seem to have a warm reddish complexion around the middle of the footage.

Now, I tested the camera outside and would like to hear your opinion about the camera. Does everything seem to be how it should? For those with Mavic Air and Camera knowledge out there, I would be very thankful if you could take a few minutes to take a look at the footage, because if I want to exchange the drone, I would have to decide this very soon. (Particularly at 00:38+ it seems brighter in the middle)

Kind Regards

J.
2019-1-23
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

Currently only 720P option for me so hard to see easily, but yes I can see your camera seems to have a “hotspot” that’s reddish in color in certain areas.  Doesn’t appear brighter to me however and the reddish tint seems to be limited to encoder not sensor if it was sensor it wouldn’t be limited to only difficult to compress area,  cuz looks like it’s showing up around thinner tree branches as you moved around more than anywhere else.    Try repeating this but using manual settings and play with custom color temp and see if it does this still I wonder if you are confusing the automatic color temp.

Don’t expect DJI to address this issue with software.. mavic air is basically EOL.  They may offer you a replacement though, but I’m not sure that would fix the issue..  I haven’t personally experienced this but then again I never looked.. I’m sure it exists on mine.

2019-1-23
Use props
JvL
lvl.1
Austria

If you watch through YouTube, 1080 should be available!
2019-1-23
Use props
Alex1976
Second Officer
Flight distance : 556867 ft
Italy

mavic air is basically EOL??
What does this mean? I cannot believe that a drone that hit the market one year ago is at end of life.
I bought a mavic air about one months ago. Really have i to expect that no other firmware will be developed or issues won't be resolved?

This would be very frustrating. I hope that this is not true.....
I cannot believe DJI drop support for a product in a so little amount of time.
2019-1-23
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would say, he’s right.  Probably won’t see much more development for the Mavic Air.  It’s had very few FW updates compared to previous drones.  They got most of it right, right off the bat.  It doesn’t mean they’ll drop support though...
2019-1-23
Use props
him7403
lvl.4
Flight distance : 374557 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I think it's normal..
2019-1-23
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi there, thank you for reaching out. I already sent you some PM with regards to the feedback of the developer. However, I'll be adding this video as well for further checking and what is the possible workaround. Thank you for your support
2019-1-23
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Did you get this footage from the SD card, or from the app?
2019-1-24
Use props
JvL
lvl.1
Austria

It was saved on the internal storage!
2019-1-24
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

I'm guessing it's the color shading problem, seen with cameras with very short flange distances. DJI software tries to correct for the issue, and eventually got the original Mavic Pro to the point where it wasn't very  noticeable -- hopefully the same will happen with the Air. You can read about it in this thread, where there's a PDF doc that goes into more technical detail: Red spot in middle of DJI Mavic footage?
2019-1-24
Use props
TheVegeta1974
First Officer
Flight distance : 1186296 ft
United States

Looks fine to me 1080p
2019-1-24
Use props
JvL
lvl.1
Austria

I tried to film the same part of my room today in D-Cine, the problem was drastically reduced. Also, D Cine seems to improve the graininess in the shadows drastically aswell.
2019-1-25
Use props
AlphaFlightNW
Second Officer
Flight distance : 784265 ft
  • >>>
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 1-23 10:36
I would say, he’s right.  Probably won’t see much more development for the Mavic Air.  It’s had very few FW updates compared to previous drones.  They got most of it right, right off the bat.  It doesn’t mean they’ll drop support though...

What I personally see going on is that DJI has a lot of products and services they offer, and thus can allocate only so many resources to each product/service. This is true with almost every big company, which is not a fault but rather just something that I put into consideration. For example, there might be a cycle where the spark gets an update, then the Mavic air, then the Mavic 2, the phantom lineup, inspires and so on, although this cycle is probably more based on issues that are being reported, so if an enterprise level drone has a massive issue, they would put more precedent on fixing that first, and then getting back to the mavic air and others, or perhaps they are doing extensive testing to see if there are any faults before release of new firmware. I am not personally aware of how firmware goes down the line but I expect that DJI will either be: A. working on another product. B. Is working on firmware but we might not see it until late Q1 or Q2. or C. Is working on fixing other products and is still working to get new firmware but its still in progress. And I dont see this as too much of a problem, as if DJI only focused on one product or had to respond to every need at once, certain people would probably be unhappy and I am not thinking that is something DJI wants. So I dont really know when the firmware is getting to the MA but personally I dont really see that many "Drone Bricking" issues, but more and more of Quality of Life issues, such as the Yaw issue and miscellaneous.
2019-1-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules