Have I bought a duffer?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Waldy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2736 ft
United Kingdom

Hi there,
            just purchased a Phantom 3 Advanced.  There seems to be a problem with the controller.  The seller swears blind that it worked perfectly the last time he used it.  When I plug the charger in, nothing happens.  I tried various key combinations that were supposed to perfom a hard reset and worked out that it appears to come to life when I hold down the C1 and shutter buttons.   The leds start flashing 1, 1 + 2, 1 + 2 + 3.  I can then turn it on at that point, but the app displays controller weak signal and does not connect to the aircraft.  I have tried charging it for longer and longer periods, 4 hours today, but it makes no difference.  DJI suggests 2.5 to 3 hours, but I noticed people stating 6 hours on various forum posts.
I'm assuming that the controller is faulty unless anyone can shed any light on the problem?
2019-1-23
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

It sounds like the controller was fully discharged, and may have gone into hibernation.  Recharging it may take many hours, but it should eventually complete.  If you have reset the device, it is likely you have disconnected the pairing to your aircraft.  Simply re-link the controller to the aircraft as per the manual.

relink.png
2019-1-24
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

To Endotherm:
2019-1-24
Use props
Waldy
lvl.1
United Kingdom

endotherm Posted at 1-24 02:17
It sounds like the controller was fully discharged, and may have gone into hibernation.  Recharging it may take many hours, but it should eventually complete.  If you have reset the device, it is likely you have disconnected the pairing to your aircraft.  Simply re-link the controller to the aircraft as per the manual.

[view_image]

Thank-you for your answer.  The seller did say that it had not been used for some time.  I will continue trying to fully charge the controller.  I watched the DJI video on pairing and that said to press C1 + C2 + Video buttons and the controller would beep and flash a blue LED.  That key combination has no effect on my controller.
2019-1-24
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
United States

To Enotherm, I don't think he is asking how to relink his RC with the phantom. To Waldy:I sounds like your RC will not power up without some combination of C1-C2 buttons, is this correct? It does sound strange if that is the case. You might want to take it apart (not hard) to see if any wires or such have come loose. Just a suggestion. You will never get it to link with your aircraft if it won't power up. You may have to resort to buying a used one. Good luck.
2019-1-24
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
United States

Waldy Posted at 1-24 08:12
Thank-you for your answer.  The seller did say that it had not been used for some time.  I will continue trying to fully charge the controller.  I watched the DJI video on pairing and that said to press C1 + C2 + Video buttons and the controller would beep and flash a blue LED.  That key combination has no effect on my controller.

So, does your RC stay on? If so, whatever charge it has in it, will it connect to the aircraft? Linking it will not make it stay on. Not trying to get in the middle here. Endotherm is correct as far as linking the RC to your aircraft, but it sounds like you are not understanding what is going on. If it will stay on, you can link it though the app, but again, I think you are describing a different situation to me. If the RC does not stay on, see if you can get a charge in it, and see if you can get it to power on.
2019-1-24
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

mmmmm if LED's are doing something when buttons pressed .. then battery has some life in it ... but maybe not enough to sustain power up.

It may sound daft question ... but WALDY ... when you try to power up ... you are doing the Press Button - then Press and hold for couple of seconds again  to power up ?

It is strange that charger doesn't get any lights up ... have you checked charger is actually giving power by metering ?
2019-1-25
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
United States

solentlife Posted at 1-25 01:50
mmmmm if LED's are doing something when buttons pressed .. then battery has some life in it ... but maybe not enough to sustain power up.

It may sound daft question ... but WALDY ... when you try to power up ... you are doing the Press Button - then Press and hold for couple of seconds again  to power up ?

Nigel...……..I can't help but think there is something wrong inside of this guys RC. I mean the "C" buttons shouldn't even cause the lights to come on should they? None of the buttons should do anything if it is not powered "on". I'm guessing there is some type of damage inside of the RC, or shorted/broken wires. What are your thoughts on this? Do you think it would be worth taking a look inside?
2019-1-25
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Yes - I agree that it sounds very strange ...

My thoughts are to get a service guy in UK to look at the Controller ... I believe there are 3rd party service people in UK that can help instead of sending to Netherlands.
Waldy : Did you not ask seller to demo the gear ? Have you gone back to him and explained its a non--starter ?
2019-1-25
Use props
Waldy
lvl.1
United Kingdom

endotherm Posted at 1-24 02:17

[view_image]

I tried plugging in the charger all night. but that made no difference.  The power button does not respond unless I press C1 + Shutter first.  I can power it up and it stays on with 1 green, two solid white and 1 flashing white.  When I try the pairing procedure described in the manual, clicking Linking RC displays a dialog with the message "Confirm Frequency Settings?"  Clicking the OK button does nothing.
2019-1-25
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

RicardoGray Posted at 1-24 08:16
To Enotherm, I don't think he is asking how to relink his RC with the phantom. To Waldy:I sounds like your RC will not power up without some combination of C1-C2 buttons, is this correct? It does sound strange if that is the case. You might want to take it apart (not hard) to see if any wires or such have come loose. Just a suggestion. You will never get it to link with your aircraft if it won't power up. You may have to resort to buying a used one. Good luck.

The information on re-linking was because he said he was able to power the controller on (through some obscure manipulation of buttons), and had performed a hard reset, which would have forgotten the connection setup.

My thinking is that if both these conditions are met, then he should be able to get some sort of response from the aircraft if it is powered on and linked.  I'd suggest wiggling the sticks and tilting the camera with the wheel control and see if there is any response from the camera.  If so, that would confirm a connection.
2019-1-25
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
United States

endotherm Posted at 1-25 20:11
The information on re-linking was because he said he was able to power the controller on (through some obscure manipulation of buttons), and had performed a hard reset, which would have forgotten the connection setup.

My thinking is that if both these conditions are met, then he should be able to get some sort of response from the aircraft if it is powered on and linked.  I'd suggest wiggling the sticks and tilting the camera with the wheel control and see if there is any response from the camera.  If so, that would confirm a connection.

OK, that makes sense. I wasn't trying to say you were wrong, just don't quite understand what is going on with that remote controller. I still question how he is able to power on the RC with a combination of those "C" buttons??? And if it is actually powered up.
2019-1-26
Use props
Waldy
lvl.1
United Kingdom

RicardoGray Posted at 1-26 09:01
OK, that makes sense. I wasn't trying to say you were wrong, just don't quite understand what is going on with that remote controller. I still question how he is able to power on the RC with a combination of those "C" buttons??? And if it is actually powered up.

I tried taking the controller apart and disconnecting the battery as a few YouTube posts suggested that can fix controllers that will not turn on, but that has not made any difference.

There is no response from the aircraft.  Two red leds at the front and flashing yellow at the back suggests that it is not connected.

The app shows RC battery charge at 0%, but I noticed that my phone charge had actually gone up whilst connected via the USB port.
2019-1-26
Use props
Waldy
lvl.1
United Kingdom

RicardoGray Posted at 1-26 09:01
OK, that makes sense. I wasn't trying to say you were wrong, just don't quite understand what is going on with that remote controller. I still question how he is able to power on the RC with a combination of those "C" buttons??? And if it is actually powered up.

It does appear to be a key combo that DJI are aware of:

https://forum.dji.com/thread-87228-1-1.html
2019-1-26
Use props
Waldy
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Waldy Posted at 1-26 11:15

I'm ready to fly!  I found a post on Phantom Pilots detailing how you need to access the downgrade menu on the app front screen.  I tried this at first on my Samsung phone, but it failed.  Tried on my iPhone and that succeeded.  My remote is now working.
2019-1-26
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
United States

Waldy Posted at 1-26 11:15

Yeah, the key combo plus hitting power on will put the RC into upgrade mode, but I guess I didn't exactly understand that was what you were doing. I agree that your phantom is not connected. The yellow lights DO confirm that. Still don't understand why it will not charge up.
So, you were able to put it (RC) into this download mode (I'm thinking the blue led should have been blinking), and then downgrade to an earlier version firmware from the Go app?
So glad you got it figured out!
Sorry I wasn't able to help much. I wasn't understanding the issue with the RC I guess. Anyway, happy flying.
2019-1-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules