Mavic Air, again yaw glitch
3832 19 2019-1-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TwentyThrill
lvl.4
Flight distance : 257133 ft
Australia

Hello everyone, today unfortunately I experienced again a yaw glitch, as you can see in the video there was not RC input and the drone yawed facing to the left (exactly as happenend last month, take a look here: https://forum.dji.com/thread-176623-1-1.html).

After the first happening I refreshed the OS of the drone and RC using DJI Assistant 2, then I calibrated IMU sensors, RC sticks and of course compass. After maybe 3 or 4 flights without a problem, today again I had this weird glitch.

I really don't know what's the problem, if you had a similar experience please let me know, also if you want to take a look at my flight record i'll leave it right here.

Thank you in advance for your time, have a safe flight.

Video:

Flight record:
https://mega.nz/#!Il0zHI4T!6DsOR ... mI4TnUvDasV3_iWrJnE

2019-1-26
Use props
Syllite
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1089400 ft
Germany

Hi TwentyThrill,

very interesting. I had this issue for some time now. It kept appearing from time to time but I thought it was a Problem with my GPS signal. However, my Mavic Air recently started showing IMU calibration errors and I wasn't able to fix this issue anymore. When I brought it to the DJI store and told them from the issue including the one you are stating, they told me they never heard about it before. My drone has been sent back to DJI for inspection. Hopefully, the issue will be fixed soon. I will keep you informed if I get any feedback about the source of the issue.

Best regards,
2019-1-27
Use props
Jamielee96
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Does it continuously yaw or just glitch and then return to normal?
2019-1-27
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hiya,

Yes, typical example of the 'famous' MA yaw glitch.

Drone always yaw to the right, gimbal yaws more to the left.

One day DJI will solve this problem....nah, don`t think so because i do not thinks its a sorfware issue.

cheers
JJB
analysis1.png
2019-1-27
Use props
Ksato
lvl.1
Flight distance : 27674 ft
United States

I get those all the time now...
2019-1-27
Use props
Skeeter Honey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1032569 ft
United States

Ah yes, the standard ghost in the machine.

Sorry, man. Expect the typical, "reinstall FM, Go4/calibrate IMU/Compass, etc." response.
2019-1-27
Use props
TwentyThrill
lvl.4
Australia

Jamielee96 Posted at 1-27 10:16
Does it continuously yaw or just glitch and then return to normal?

Just a short glitch to the left, this doesn't affect RC input so I can easily bring it back to normal position, however this is very annoying when I'm recording because mess up the smoothness of my clip.   
2019-1-27
Use props
AlphaFlightNW
Second Officer
Flight distance : 784265 ft
  • >>>
United States

TwentyThrill Posted at 1-27 14:09
Just a short glitch to the left, this doesn't affect RC input so I can easily bring it back to normal position, however this is very annoying when I'm recording because mess up the smoothness of my clip.

Sounding off, I got the exact same issue. What I would recommend is doing a remote calibration with only the remote on and watching the values. What I have noticed is that it will show that yaw anomaly in the calibration window. If thats the case then.... I havent gotten that far yet but I will hopefully test some solutions when the weather gets better. I'll update if I find anything, but for now its going to keep being there till DJI fixes it, somebody finds a fix or if you send it in. Sorry about not being able to provide a solution but I will get back as soon as something develops on my end.
2019-1-27
Use props
TwentyThrill
lvl.4
Australia

AlphaFlightNW Posted at 1-27 18:37
Sounding off, I got the exact same issue. What I would recommend is doing a remote calibration with only the remote on and watching the values. What I have noticed is that it will show that yaw anomaly in the calibration window. If thats the case then.... I havent gotten that far yet but I will hopefully test some solutions when the weather gets better. I'll update if I find anything, but for now its going to keep being there till DJI fixes it, somebody finds a fix or if you send it in. Sorry about not being able to provide a solution but I will get back as soon as something develops on my end.

Thank you for sharing your experience, in my situation I'm 100% sure that was not an RC issue because as you can see on the flight log and on the video there wasn't any RC input during the yaw glitch.
I hope that you're having a different situation and that you could fix in the way you said, keep us updated.
Ceers.
2019-1-27
Use props
Sankore Skies
lvl.1
Flight distance : 159964 ft
United States

i agree i thought i got caught in a thermal lol
2019-1-27
Use props
cutis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1695351 ft
United States

could it be the apps? i do not use windows and although under 20 hours, have not had any warnings other than compass nag from ferrous presence nearby and the caged faa restricts, and strong approaching aircraft interference, and antennae orient favor.
and possibly jerks can disrupt delicate alignments (hard knocks)
and possibly propulsion imbalance compensation (although strange it manifests inconsistently as to the cause)

is it fact neutral propulsion imbalance (quad) is a definite discrepancy but yet compensated upon discovery?

can a motor glitch momentarily? how so?

can joystick (potentiometer?  optically derived potentiometer?) glitch too? how? foreign debri intrusion? moisture?
2019-1-27
Use props
AlphaFlightNW
Second Officer
Flight distance : 784265 ft
  • >>>
United States

cutis Posted at 1-27 19:57
could it be the apps? i do not use windows and although under 20 hours, have not had any warnings other than compass nag from ferrous presence nearby and the caged faa restricts, and strong approaching aircraft interference, and antennae orient favor.
and possibly jerks can disrupt delicate alignments (hard knocks)
and possibly propulsion imbalance compensation (although strange it manifests inconsistently as to the cause)

I personally think that my issue might be potentiometer based, though I might be wrong.
2019-1-27
Use props
cutis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1695351 ft
United States

potentiometer development is saturated, perfection Potentiometer Joystick, Hall Effect Joystick, Inductive Joystick & Optical Joyst.pdf (651.65 KB, Down times: 1)
Screenshot_20190113-165136.png
Screenshot 2019-01-23 at 5.00.01 PM.png
2019-1-28
Use props
Jamielee96
lvl.1

United Kingdom

after sending my drone into DJI they diagnosed the issue as a power board fault. They apparently began the repair process, but after a few days I received a new drone... not sure whether that is due to further problems being discovered or the time it takes to repair the issue. Anyhow, I guess that means we are none the wiser! If I received my drone with a new power board I could of tested it, but I guess we will never know...
2019-2-5
Use props
TwentyThrill
lvl.4
Australia

Jamielee96 Posted at 2-5 08:58
after sending my drone into DJI they diagnosed the issue as a power board fault. They apparently began the repair process, but after a few days I received a new drone... not sure whether that is due to further problems being discovered or the time it takes to repair the issue. Anyhow, I guess that means we are none the wiser! If I received my drone with a new power board I could of tested it, but I guess we will never know...

Thank you for sharing your experience! I would like to send my drone to DJI for a fix/replacement, but I am so scared to wait for months and obtain back the same unit unfixed because of a "no fault found" diagnosis. Or also (even worse) receive a random refurbished unit. Are you sure the unit you received was brand new? Was hard your process with DJI?
2019-2-5
Use props
Jamielee96
lvl.1

United Kingdom

TwentyThrill Posted at 2-5 14:43
Thank you for sharing your experience! I would like to send my drone to DJI for a fix/replacement, but I am so scared to wait for months and obtain back the same unit unfixed because of a "no fault found" diagnosis. Or also (even worse) receive a random refurbished unit. Are you sure the unit you received was brand new? Was hard your process with DJI?

Yep brand new. Checked the serial number myself and then also double checked with a DJI technician.
Entire process from pick up until delivery took about 2 weeks. Most of this time the drone was with the courier. DJI only held the drone for about 4/5 days I believe.
Process was very easy.
Yeah I was also nervous about receiving a refurbished unit, but due to it being a warranty repair I would have sent it back if I had received one.
If I were you I'd definitely send it in.
2019-2-6
Use props
John Michael Galvez Sagrado
lvl.1

Philippines

Same issue.  But i also got this other issue.

I had an issue with my drone yaw to the left. It yaws when ascending. Also tried to make it stationary with no issues. But when i flick the left joystick UP even just a little bit. It starts to yaw to the left. Tried restore default. Refresh firmware, imu, rc calibration and rc link. Worked once. Then issue came back. Tried same fix. Did not work this 2nd time around. When flying, somehow fixes itself for a brief moment then goes back yawing when ascendin ..Help!

FW ver: .620
Dji go 4 app: 4.3.20

Hope its not a hardware issue. I got a 2nd hand drone.
2019-8-10
Use props
John Michael Galvez Sagrado
lvl.1

Philippines

I got that issue plus this below

I had an issue with my drone yaw to the left. It yaws when ascending. Also tried to make it stationary with no issues. But when i flick the left joystick UP even just a little bit. It starts to yaw to the left. Tried restore default. Refresh firmware, imu, rc calibration and rc link. Worked once. Then issue came back. Tried same fix. Did not work this 2nd time around. When flying, somehow fixes itself for a brief moment then goes back yawing when ascendin ..Help!

FW ver: .620
Dji go 4 app: 4.3.20

Hopefully not a hardware issue
2019-8-10
Use props
Tomcatuk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28743 ft
United Kingdom

Skeeter Honey Posted at 1-27 13:41
Ah yes, the standard ghost in the machine.

Sorry, man. Expect the typical, "reinstall FM, Go4/calibrate IMU/Compass, etc." response.

You've scared them off no comments from any of them as yet.....
2019-8-10
Use props
fans9dfdfc94
lvl.2
Flight distance : 12769 ft
France

Hello,
J'ai le même problème qui est apparu depuis que j'ai mis à jour le firmware du controller. Je pense donc que le problème vient de là...
2019-8-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules