Controller disconnect and crash
1477 11 2019-2-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
spandit
Second Officer
Flight distance : 65463 ft

United Kingdom

Took drone out today to see what the snow looked like. It's not actually that cold and the batteries were fully charged (spare in my pocket). Controller was fully charged too. Got a few nice shots and then decided to film a short video flying under an overhanging branch as thought it would give a nice effect. Due to concerns about hitting twigs, I went very slowly and was walking directly behind the drone so I could see where it was headed. Then this happened:

Controller completely stopped responding and RTH flew it upwards into the tree. Seconds later it would have been clear and I wouldn't have had a problem. One propeller completely smashed and will have to extract the lugs. Really beginning to lose confidence in this device. I know propellers aren't that expensive but a new set is going to cost £16 or so - that's a lot of money if it keeps happening.

2019-2-1
Use props
spandit
Second Officer

United Kingdom

One of the remaining 3 propellers was missing the very tip of the blade, so I've snapped it to stop me using it. The other two are largely undamaged
2019-2-1
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

I guess this is some unfortunate exception. Spark yes, MavAir yes, there are connectivity issues sometimes but never had issues with Occusync ones.
2019-2-1
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ouch. Glad it's wasn't more damage and your bird lives to fly another day.

2019-2-1
Use props
spandit
Second Officer

United Kingdom

I think it will have survived as didn't fall very far and onto snow. Just wish I knew why it kept disconnecting.
2019-2-1
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day spandit. I am sorry to know what happened to your previous flights with your DJI Mavic Pro. This is not the experience we want you to have with DJI. Since this issue happened please contact DJI Support at https://www.dji.com/support for further analysis on what happened. Thank you.

2019-2-1
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

Sorry for your crash but in these conditions you should change RTH settings to hover or land.
The worst thing is to let the drone go up to RTH.
2019-2-1
Use props
spandit
Second Officer

United Kingdom

It's something I'll bear in mind from now on
2019-2-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It’s more to do with what is your plan when flying, if your going to be flying under cover your drone will always be at risk, regarding signal lost, it shouldn’t happen so close. Would controller have been blocked from aircraft ?
2019-2-1
Use props
spandit
Second Officer

United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2-1 14:05
It’s more to do with what is your plan when flying, if your going to be flying under cover your drone will always be at risk, regarding signal lost, it shouldn’t happen so close. Would controller have been blocked from aircraft ?

I wouldn't have thought so. When the crash happened I was within 6 feet of the drone, possible closer. Perhaps telling it to hover in this instance would have been the best course of action.

It disconnected the other day too - thought then it was just the app (in some cases it was, because the RC was still showing good signal). If it will fly again, I might try taking it up with only the RC and no tablet at all
2019-2-1
Use props
maddox
Captain
Malaysia

Sorry to watch that mate
2019-2-2
Use props
spandit
Second Officer

United Kingdom

maddox Posted at 2-2 07:32
Sorry to watch that mate

I don't think it has destroyed the drone. The propeller lugs broke off and I haven't extracted them yet but it didn't fall that far and the ground/snow was pretty soft. Haven't tried again, to be honest
2019-2-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules