Drones confiscated by FBI at Superbowl
1245 18 2019-2-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PioneerXi
lvl.3
Flight distance : 381772 ft
United States

Aside from the monetary loss of product,  another example of "not thinking" correctly.

The FBI Have confiscated six drones in the Superbowl "no fly zone"

https://twitter.com/FBIAtlanta/status/1091377691557851136

2019-2-3
Use props
TruGreen
Second Officer
Flight distance : 621909 ft
  • >>>
United States

it makes sense with the large amount of ppl there never know what may be attached to said drone. or even just the drone falling and hurting ppl.
2019-2-3
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

There was a local TV news story, few days back, about FBI, Super Bowl, and drones which did not make a lick of sense.  According to news story, FBI confiscated drones prior to FAA's TFR (Temporary Flight Restriction) being implemented.

Listening to TV news story (thrice over) - it sounded like drones were not violating any rules at the time.  Instead, FBI decided to nab drones, cause well, they have guns and badges.

Normally one would assume TV news got it wrong and drones were in violation.  However with news coming out about FBI abusing its powers in 2016 election and aiding in attempted coup afterwards; along with some past FBI Politicking and Corruption, wouldn't put it past FBI.

Does make me wonder if FBI is playing on recent drone hysteria.  Never let a good crisis, go to waste...  When you can use it to drive public to support a political agenda of banning drones everywhere.  Goal being only authorities and ''approved'' commericial enties will have drones.
2019-2-3
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

The so called temporary NFZ is bizarre!
"The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) will establish a Temporary Flight Restriction (TFR) on game day that will prohibit drones within a 30-nautical-mile radius of the stadium up to 17,999 feet in altitude."
Kind of sends a flag up saying some 'big wig' will be in attendance...

2019-2-3
Use props
EdM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1491814 ft
  • >>>
United States

Surprised they didn't make it a NFZ 3 days before game day.    It' the Supertoiletbowl, always bunches of high up mucky mucks in attendance.  
2019-2-3
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2-3 08:52
There was a local TV news story, few days back, about FBI, Super Bowl, and drones which did not make a lick of sense.  According to news story, FBI confiscated drones prior to FAA's TFR (Temporary Flight Restriction) being implemented.

Sound weird... I can understand during TFR or a few minutes ahead of it.   but multiple hours ahead of it sounds like corruption just to play on recent hysteria, luckily I have insurance, so if they seized my drones I would just claim fly away with State Farm and get a check and buy another...
2019-2-3
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Lamplighter55 Posted at 2-3 09:18
"The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) will establish a Temporary Flight Restriction (TFR) on game day that will prohibit drones within a 30-nautical-mile radius of the stadium up to 17,999 feet in altitude."

Ya their 2 layers of it.. both marked Special security reasons listing the super bowl, covers not only entire city of Atlanta but surrounding areas, more than a 30 mile radius and definatly exposed them that a big orange gorilla that can barely speak is in attendance..
2019-2-3
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2-3 10:30
Sound weird... I can understand during TFR or a few minutes ahead of it.   but multiple hours ahead of it sounds like corruption just to play on recent hysteria, luckily I have insurance, so if they seized my drones I would just claim fly away with State Farm and get a check and buy another...

After chatting about it with a friend who also saw local TV news story.   Came following speculations...

a) Drones confiscated came about ONLY because FBI was there.  In other words, people fly drones in that area all the time; and normally, nobody cares.  With Superbowl going to be played there - caused issue of drones being flown in area (nearby, in parking areas, and around stadium) to surface.

b) Drones confiscated were not actually being flown in area, instead drones came from either previous confiscations or were FBI purchased drones.  The drones shown were ''stage props'' for News Media.  Whole thing was Big-brother propaganda for two purposes.  One being to alert public to impending FAA TFR.   Other being to stir public in to calling for strict anti-drone restrictions, regulations, and laws.

''Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.''  ~ Thomas Jefferson
''Absolute power corrupts absolutely'.' ~ Lord (Baron?) Sir John Acton

2019-2-3
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Lamplighter55 Posted at 2-3 09:18
"The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) will establish a Temporary Flight Restriction (TFR) on game day that will prohibit drones within a 30-nautical-mile radius of the stadium up to 17,999 feet in altitude."

Yeah, the TV News story in concert with FBI pushing FAA's impending TFR in relation to drones, and TFR being 30-nautical-mile radius and 17,999 feet high was definitely meant for more than consumer drones.
2019-2-3
Use props
Skeeter Honey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1032569 ft
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2-3 11:40
After chatting about it with a friend who also saw local TV news story.   Came following speculations...

a) Drones confiscated came about ONLY because FBI was there.  In other words, people fly drones in that area all the time; and normally, nobody cares.  With Superbowl going to be played there - caused issue of drones being flown in area (nearby, in parking areas, and around stadium) to surface.

You left out c):

Push the anti-DJI messaging in the media.

Why else would ONLY DJI drones be used for props in this media event?
2019-2-3
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

One Phantom, one Spark.... looks like DJI really attracts some very interesting sort of people.
2019-2-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Lucas775 Posted at 2-3 08:16
Is that all you have to say "thank you for sharing these photos with us today"
Robo instant answer
DJI drones are getting confiscated and you say "Have a safe and happy flying always".

Hahahahahahahahahahaha.
2019-2-3
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2-3 11:40

a) Drones confiscated came about ONLY because FBI was there.  In other words, people fly drones in that area all the time; and normally, nobody cares.  With Superbowl going to be played there - caused issue of drones being flown in area (nearby, in parking areas, and around stadium) to surface.

I actually tend to agree with this statement... very low chance a DJI drone will be in the air that close to an active event in the first place... Then Consider that FBI is basically turning this into an exhibit,  these drones are probably not even seizures... look they have the spark controller turned off on the table.  That’s probably just a demo units they showing off ATL is a huge area and popular one and like if was seizure related they have multiple tables full..  

I know people that live near the ATL and they confirmed this as well, pretty much freefor all for flying and this NFZ/TFR is huge, covering entire ATL area.. downtown, surrounding areas, burbs, everything... they also confirmed that it’s marked “special use” within TFR.. “Special Use” is mostly used for secret service and military installations/training areas.  Military movements and events will not be marked as Special use either so it’s a bit odd.

This is most definatly proganda and BS.. I’m all for FBI advertising not cool to fly drone over a active venue.. but the FBI is a fairly slow useless tool, one of the slowest parts of the government where their effectiveness relies purely on others.. they aren’t going to be seizing much for sh*t without someone else doing all the work for them.   As much as people think FBI are badass, they aren’t really.. if they forced to do things on their own without help they let cases go cold all the time because of this, I can’t name really any cases that FBI was solely working that didn’t end up taking multiple decades..

Any DJI propaganda... probably.. US isn’t in favor of chinese products cuz of spying issues.   And DJI has been found with their pants down before with vunwrbilities and backdoors.  Also logs are stored in China and Chinese governments require backdoors.  But add to
That DJI makes up 75% of the market... yea easier for them to use DJI drones and people just recognize them as bad.

Then add to that...areoscope.. on surface sounds great, but allows complete control and information access... and as a famous saying goes.   “Everything has a price” not a new thing that US and other allied governments have sold such types of things to the wrong people in some sorta deal... or hell they just misuse them instead... localized corruption isn’t uncommon.    Absolute power = absolute corruption is correct.
2019-2-3
Use props
Joe.Mavic.D.HH
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8230085 ft
  • >>>
Germany

I hate to get caught on camera! Ban all cams, mobiles...

2019-2-3
Use props
Joe.Mavic.D.HH
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8230085 ft
  • >>>
Germany

...and for my US buddies: If DJI manages to offer an attachable holster for their drones, you're gonna be supported by the NRA lobby! That'll help even against the FBI.

Just kidding, no offense!
2019-2-3
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Joe.Mavic.D.HH Posted at 2-3 14:42
...and for my US buddies: If DJI manages to offer an attachable holster for their drones, you're gonna be supported by the NRA lobby! That'll help even against the FBI.

The NRA hasn’t been on the people’s side for a long time and have been a point of sales and government Lobby pool for a good while.    Some People are just coming to realize this..  

That being said if they made a holder for my Mavic Air that would be pretty cool way to carry it snapped onto my bag or strap it to something.
2019-2-3
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Flight distance : 10337090 ft
Canada

were the drones to be  returned to it's owners ?
2019-2-4
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Expensive lesson to learn
2019-2-4
Use props
Bjs_express
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1481496 ft
United States

The known rule to not fly over sporting events... wow, most likely the biggest named sporting event in the USA and you thought it would cool to get some aerial shots with your drone. Idiots, lol.
2019-2-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules