WiFi Only iPad and RTH to controller
2169 14 2019-2-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dur8anPoison 6
lvl.2

South Africa

Hi all. Has anyone had experience with using a WiFi Only tablet and then using the RTH back to controller (not RTH back to launch area).

Am I correct I’m presuming that it won’t work unless the iPad is hotspot connected to my phone (in pocket) and then the drone will use the PHONE not iPads location to return back to me. Or does a Hotspot connection only share a data transfer and not share GPS info?
Do I need to rather buy a WiFi and 4G iPad to do RTH to controller.

Are there any other concerns or restrictions with flying with a WiFi only iPad that anyone has experienced?

Any advise appreciated.
Thanks

2019-2-5
Use props
SPIKE_151
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69767 ft
United Kingdom

I believe the RTH uses the GPS data which is received regardless of wifi or phone enabled. I believe the GPS readers are built into the controller, but I stand to be corrected on this
2019-2-5
Use props
MarcelN
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2307733 ft
Netherlands

Yup, Wi-Fi only iPad should be enough, you just saved $99,- in your pocket to spend.
2019-2-5
Use props
bastosnetoj
lvl.2
Flight distance : 217431 ft
Brazil

MarcelN Posted at 2-5 04:40
Yup, Wi-Fi only iPad should be enough, you just saved $99,- in your pocket to spend.

Although wi-fi only iPad should work, there is a caveat. If you need to update the home point for example if you are walking or in a moving platform like a boat the wi-fi iPad will not allow you to update your home point.
2019-2-5
Use props
Dur8an Poison
lvl.2

South Africa

bastosnetoj Posted at 2-5 04:49
Although wi-fi only iPad should work, there is a caveat. If you need to update the home point for example if you are walking or in a moving platform like a boat the wi-fi iPad will not allow you to update your home point.

That's my query, how to set the RTH to the controller (after a hike / boat /horse ride etc). Will the Hot spotting use the GPS from the phone that's hot spotted to the iPad?

With DJI so intertwined with Apple i am surprised i cant find anything like a "*needs GPS/Cellular device for this feature" or such.
The Wifi only iPads dont have any GPS built in.

I even tweeted the attached pics to DJI support but have still not had any reply.
ALSO what other features can i not use/enjoy with Wifi only ipad? How do maps load up?

thinking i better return the wifi only ipad and pay extra for the GPS/Cellular?

2019-2-5
Use props
Cougar1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 924393 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Dur8an Poison Posted at 2-5 05:16
That's my query, how to set the RTH to the controller (after a hike / boat /horse ride etc). Will the Hot spotting use the GPS from the phone that's hot spotted to the iPad?

With DJI so intertwined with Apple i am surprised i cant find anything like a "*needs GPS/Cellular device for this feature" or such.

You need the iPad with GPS (cell version) if you like to set the position to the RC location.
2019-2-5
Use props
Dur8an Poison
lvl.2

South Africa

Thanks. So the hotspot won’t “share” the GPS?
2019-2-5
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. Are you referring to the home point settings wherein the aircraft will locate your remote controller? If yes, then you're not required to have a mobile device that has internet access for as long as it can detect GPS signal because the aircraft will continue to track your mobile device using the GPS of your phone. We would like to inform you that the Mavic 2 pro doesn't have a wi-fi capability for you to connect your phone directly to the aircraft without using a remote controller. Hope this statement would satisfy your query. Please let us know if you have other concerns. Thank you for continued support.
2019-2-5
Use props
rparge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 173852 ft
United States

I've used a Garmin GLO for this, works great.
No WIFI or cell plan needed.
If you have not pre-cached the map, they will be blank, but your location will be updated.
2019-2-5
Use props
Dur8an Poison
lvl.2

South Africa

DJI Tony Posted at 2-5 14:04
Hi, thanks for the inquiry. Are you referring to the home point settings wherein the aircraft will locate your remote controller? If yes, then you're not required to have a mobile device that has internet access for as long as it can detect GPS signal because the aircraft will continue to track your mobile device using the GPS of your phone. We would like to inform you that the Mavic 2 pro doesn't have a wi-fi capability for you to connect your phone directly to the aircraft without using a remote controller. Hope this statement would satisfy your query. Please let us know if you have other concerns. Thank you for continued support.

Thanks Tony. Yes I'm referring to the RTH to the controller. If I hotspot connect my iphone to my WiFi only ipad.... will it take the GPS detail off the phone as well as allow the data transfer?

I believe the Mavic 2 controller doesn't have built in GPS so would need the device GPS. I've since learnt the Wifi Only iPad doesn't have GPS.... hence my query of wold a Hotspot Iphone connection to the iPad allow for the GPS to be used/shared on the iPad with DJI Go 4?

What other features would not be available if flying with a WiFi Only iPad?

thank you so much for coming back to me. I've been battling to get info from someone in the know. Ive even tweeted DJI Support with no luck
https://twitter.com/Dur8anPoison/status/1091964960618496001
2019-2-6
Use props
Dur8an Poison
lvl.2

South Africa

rparge Posted at 2-5 16:40
I've used a Garmin GLO for this, works great.
No WIFI or cell plan needed.
If you have not pre-cached the map, they will be blank, but your location will be updated.

Thanks for the info. Hoping to get away without extra equipment i need to charge/pack etc so might have to swop that iPad. Thinking it definitely will be easiest (not cheapest)
2019-2-6
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Dur8an Poison Posted at 2-6 02:30
Thanks Tony. Yes I'm referring to the RTH to the controller. If I hotspot connect my iphone to my WiFi only ipad.... will it take the GPS detail off the phone as well as allow the data transfer?

I believe the Mavic 2 controller doesn't have built in GPS so would need the device GPS. I've since learnt the Wifi Only iPad doesn't have GPS.... hence my query of wold a Hotspot Iphone connection to the iPad allow for the GPS to be used/shared on the iPad with DJI Go 4?

Hi, thanks for the prompt reply. The DJI GO 4 app will rely on the GPS of your mobile device when using this type of RTH, however, I'm afraid that we don't have any information if your iPad will share GPS data when it's connected to the other iPhone. This RTH option will not allow you to be used when using a mobile device that has not capable of detecting the GPS signal. Please let us know if you have further concern. Thank you for continued support.
2019-2-6
Use props
Dur8an Poison
lvl.2

South Africa

DJI Tony Posted at 2-6 08:26
Hi, thanks for the prompt reply. The DJI GO 4 app will rely on the GPS of your mobile device when using this type of RTH, however, I'm afraid that we don't have any information if your iPad will share GPS data when it's connected to the other iPhone. This RTH option will not allow you to be used when using a mobile device that has not capable of detecting the GPS signal. Please let us know if you have further concern. Thank you for continued support.

Thanks Tony. Do you know what other features apart from the controller RTH will not be accessible or functional with a wifi only device?
2019-2-6
Use props
edeone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164685 ft
Germany

Dur8an Poison Posted at 2-6 22:29
Thanks Tony. Do you know what other features apart from the controller RTH will not be accessible or functional with a wifi only device?

and you may need a second SIM card, or you must always take the sim out of your phone.
here in germany it costs extra, possibly not in south africa.
2019-2-6
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Dur8an Poison Posted at 2-6 22:29
Thanks Tony. Do you know what other features apart from the controller RTH will not be accessible or functional with a wifi only device?

Hi, thanks for the prompt reply. Aside from the RTH settings, apparently, we might not have an accurate location when using the offline maps. Moreover,  you could still maximize the usage of your drone including those cool features on the DJI GO 4 app. Please let us know if you have other concern. Thank you for continued support.
2019-2-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules