Compass Calibration Error
4820 21 2019-2-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans68f8d40a
lvl.1

Brazil

Hi,

I just bought the mavic air 2 weeks ago, and i'm having a frustating experience with the drone, i used it 4 times in 4 different locations and every time i start the drone its says to calibrate the compass. I spend more then 20 minutes trying to calibrate the compass and fails every time or its says calibration complete but still on the screen to rotate in the vertical position and dont calibrate, i cancel the process and do it again but doesnt work. Today i spend almost 1 baterry trying to calibrate the drone and then i gave up to fly. When i get the calibration done after a long time and fly, sometimes its says again that i need to calibrate the compass. Please i need some help to solve this problem cause i can't keep a drone like this that i lost the footage moment everytime.

Thanks

2019-2-10
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day. I am sorry to know that you are having issues in calibrating the compass of your DJI Mavic Air. Before this issue happened? Was there a hard landing or a crash on the drone? Let us try to calibrate the compass of your drone once again please and let us see if the issue will still persist. For details on how to calibrate the compass of your drone , you can follow and view the images below. Please give us an update on the said issue for us to help you further.

2019-2-11
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

Make sure you are away from any ferrous metals (rebar in concrete, chain link fencing etc.), remove all metals from your person.
It should only need one calibration to setup, and then just check the sensor readings every time you power up your AC.
2019-2-11
Use props
Guillo10
lvl.3
Flight distance : 413 ft
Argentina

Hello

I also usually have compass problems, it is to turn off, change place and turn it on again, every time I ask for less calibration, depending on whether the compass is magnetized, search in yotube, there are demagnetizers for that matter.

regards
2019-2-11
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Videos on compass calibration that might be of help.

Compass calibration is fairly straight forward and easy.   Assuming you are doing compass calibration properly, then your Mavic Air has a problem.  Possibly Mavic Air itself has gotten magnetized.
2019-2-11
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 2-11 09:28
Hello and good day. I am sorry to know that you are having issues in calibrating the compass of your DJI Mavic Air. Before this issue happened? Was there a hard landing or a crash on the drone? Let us try to calibrate the compass of your drone once again please and let us see if the issue will still persist. For details on how to calibrate the compass of your drone , you can follow and view the images below. Please give us an update on the said issue for us to help you further.

[view_image]

these instruction are literally different from in app instructions...the direction you posted are correct, the inapp instructions are leading to failed calibrations and frustrations.. can you forward this issue to the correct team so they can update in app instructions to reflect these you posted?      
please, for love of god.....
2019-2-11
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2-11 13:31
these instruction are literally different from in app instructions...the direction you posted are correct, the inapp instructions are leading to failed calibrations and frustrations.. can you forward this issue to the correct team so they can update in app instructions to reflect these you posted?      

Hello and good day HereForTheBeer. Thank you for sharing this information with us. I will forward this thread to our DJI R&D Team. Thank you for your support.
2019-2-11
Use props
cutis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1695351 ft
United States

Cal is ritual for me in metropolis full of ferrous magnetic construction.
Fails because i am too slow doing it.
I know doing it really fast gives success.
I tried relocating but ferrous everywhere.
There are demagnetizer wands used for degaussing crt's but sensor may be too over demagnetized being so sensitive designed.
2019-2-11
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

cutis Posted at 2-11 17:11
Cal is ritual for me in metropolis full of ferrous magnetic construction.
Fails because i am too slow doing it.
I know doing it really fast gives success.

Find an open area for compass calibration.  Park, sports field, golf course, etc.  You should be able to do a compass calibration as long as nothing (ferrous metal or power line) is closer than 10-meters.  One thing to keep in mind is possibility of buried ferrous metal or power lines which can effect compass calibration.

Along with making sure there are not any ferrous metals or devices that can create magnetic field on you.

You can download Free (or very cheap) Apps for either iOS or Android OS that will alert you to sources of magnetic interference.   You will find you have to be pretty close to most sources of magnetic interference to effect compasses, because Earth's magnetic field is immense in comparison.

After proper calibration - under GO-4 App, it will show you if your compass (or compasses) are picking up magnetic interference.  Bar(s) should be short and green.

As for speed of calibration, I have not seen any issue with how fast or how slow you do the drone calibration dance.
2019-2-11
Use props
Boffin
Second Officer
Australia

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2-11 13:22
Videos on compass calibration that might be of help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFWd1gIqUiQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayPqOl7gvWo

Hi Hedegetrimmer. I downloaded and watched the videos (thanks) they are handy to show to my beginner friends/pupils.

One comment about the first video, apart from performing the compass cal outside (which he mentions) I have found that his method #3 is the easiest to perform and no dancing shoes required
2019-2-11
Use props
cutis
Second Officer
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2-11 22:16
Find an open area for compass calibration.  Park, sports field, golf course, etc.  You should be able to do a compass calibration as long as nothing (ferrous metal or power line) is closer than 10-meters.  One thing to keep in mind is possibility of buried ferrous metal or power lines which can effect compass calibration.

Along with making sure there are not any ferrous metals or devices that can create magnetic field on you.

This morning's flight same cal nag on tarmac usual, failed 3 consecutives and just defaulted to main screen saying "can't fly"!
Walked craft ten feet to new tarmac, failed 3 consecutives, but this time none "can't fly " and the craft's  butt led actually recovered from cal 3rd consequtive fail.
Landing here subsequent cal nag initiated.
So it appears "lockdown" preempt was relaxed on twice 3consecutive fail episodes back to back?
Strange logistic.
2019-2-12
Use props
cutis
Second Officer
United States

cutis Posted at 2-12 11:03
This morning's flight same cal nag on tarmac usual, failed 3 consecutives and just defaulted to main screen saying "can't fly"!
Walked craft ten feet to new tarmac, failed 3 consecutives, but this time none "can't fly " and the craft's  butt led actually recovered from cal 3rd consequtive fail.

It may be proximity of human causing "can not fly" screen indication?
Meaning nothing to do with cal fail?
2019-2-12
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

cutis Posted at 2-12 11:03

So it appears "lockdown" preempt was relaxed on twice 3consecutive fail episodes back to back?
Strange logistic.

No logistic (logic) involving multiple failures, then success.  Simply a matter of compass being slightly above threhshold of to much magnetic interference for drone to fly, and on last attempt to fly, compass was below threshold.  Having worked with sources of magnetic interference and Mavic Pro compasses (there are two) - I have seen compasses magnetic field interference levels fluctuate.  Fluctionlations usually the result of moving closer to drone (or further away from drone), while holding SmartDevice & Remote Controller or having ferrous metal on you.

With solid magnetic interference caused by positioning my Mavic Pro over piece of steel strap and getting flight warnings, I found that raising drone above steel strap by about 8-inches was more than enough to lower magnetic interference to where Mavic Pro was clear to take off.  With smaller piece of steel strap, it took something like 4-inches to lower magnetic intereference.

Leading back to.  You need to take your drone some place that is well away from sources of magnetic interference and do compass calibrations there.  Then try flying your drone from normal places (tarmac areas) with drone lifting off from a raised platform.  Raised platform like a plastic cooler, cardboard box, wooden crate, etc.  

If you can't calibrate your drone's compass when there is no sources of magnetic intereference nearby (within 10-meters); then your drone has a problem.  Whether drone needs to be demagnatized or compass's electronics are bad.

2019-2-12
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

cutis Posted at 2-12 11:05
It may be proximity of human causing "can not fly" screen indication?
Meaning nothing to do with cal fail?

Have you got any ferrous metal on you?  Like steel framed glasses, big metal belt buckle, large steel wrist watch, steel wallet chain, etc?
Have you got any ferrous metal in you?  Like medical steel pins or steel plate.
2019-2-12
Use props
TechVoyager
lvl.4
Flight distance : 170030 ft
India

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2-11 13:31

So are you saying that the instruction shown in the dji go4app, for compass calibration is wrong? And the instruction mentioned in the manual is correct?
Please clarify. Thanks.
2019-2-12
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

TechVoyager Posted at 2-12 22:17
So are you saying that the instruction shown in the dji go4app, for compass calibration is wrong? And the instruction mentioned in the manual is correct?
Please clarify. Thanks.

yes, you are correct
2019-2-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

TechVoyager Posted at 2-12 22:17
Please clarify. Thanks.

There are a couple ways to calibrate your compass none of them are wrong and won’t lead to bad calibration, if you calibrate compass wrong it will tell you in the app.

In order to calibrate correctly you must rotate aircraft on 2 axis 360 degrees in a clockwise direction, it makes no difference if you face aircraft towards you or away from you, whether you face nose to the sky or the ground, it makes no difference if you actually walk around in a 360 circle holding aircraft in front of you or if you twirl in front of you in a 360 degree clockwise.

I had a neighbor of mine call to me saying no matter what he done he couldn’t calibrate his compass and asked to show him, so within a few minutes we had calibrated his compass with no fuss, those having trouble calibrating is mostly down to incorrect calibration, this guy was rotating aircraft one way clockwise and other way anti clockwise and he was convinced this was the way he read it in the manual.

You need not worry about calibrating wrong your aircraft will not accept wrong calibration.
2019-2-13
Use props
cutis
Second Officer
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2-12 18:14
Have you got any ferrous metal on you?  Like steel framed glasses, big metal belt buckle, large steel wrist watch, steel wallet chain, etc?
Have you got any ferrous metal in you?  Like medical steel pins or steel plate.

This 4 story keeamoku walmart sam's club parking structure is huge, each level tarmac is 32inches thick seen through the crevasse the level underneath and lighting fixtures illuminating tarmac crevasse. So yes definite wifi shopping carts caging, definite line ac voltage embedded in tarmac, plus sundeck has highpower led lamp posts all over the tarmac. I yet found any neutral spot. Every launch requires cal and looks as though fails are increasing repetition cals three at most. But lockdown appears unprecedented from before.
The only uncaged oahu location i found from dgi fence map was "na pueo" neighborhood park, one hundreth the size of walmart tarmac and no nag ever even from kindergarten steel junglejim and rebar concrete walk path. So walmart tarmac must have some vibes jiving alive interferences that craft frustrates confusion on whats acceptable passable or fails.
The good thing about walmart tarmac is arisal quiescence, utterly doldrum, whereas up mountain the contour whips win
2019-2-13
Use props
cutis
Second Officer
United States

I believe the shore low land geography actually is better for flying congested with infrastruct. I recall fluids dynamics some science termed boundary layer theory whereby the viscosity (really electron binding) of atmospheric gases stick to infrastruct surface and is zero velocity here. Well, on a macro boundary layer theory, those congests of skyscrapers actually are carpeting the lowland shore areas, reducing velocities to zero, "brakes winds"
2019-2-13
Use props
cutis
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2-13 02:30
There are a couple ways to calibrate your compass none of them are wrong and won’t lead to bad calibration, if you calibrate compass wrong it will tell you in the app.

In order to calibrate correctly you must rotate aircraft on 2 axis 360 degrees in a clockwise direction, it makes no difference if you face aircraft towards you or away from you, whether you face nose to the sky or the ground, it makes no difference if you actually walk around in a 360 circle holding aircraft in front of you or if you twirl in front of you in a 360 degree clockwise.

this morn flying cal nag 1st attempt fail, move new location, bingo 2nd attempt succeed.
to validate claim that new location same tarmac free interference, powerdown everything, cellphone, rc, craft. keeping exact new location of craft boot sequentially and sequence each complete boot before next, there was no cal nag!
what does it mean?
garden of Eden!
must memorize the location mark.
it is off orthogonal for the sundeck lamp posts and off orthogonal of the ac power tarmac embedded powering distribution for electrical loads.
ahah! so there are blindspots with none interference for compass, just that you must find them and memorize them, and come back again to avert triggering cal nag
2019-2-14
Use props
cutis
Second Officer
United States

cutis Posted at 2-14 12:25
this morn flying cal nag 1st attempt fail, move new location, bingo 2nd attempt succeed.
to validate claim that new location same tarmac free interference, powerdown everything, cellphone, rc, craft. keeping exact new location of craft boot sequentially and sequence each complete boot before next, there was no cal nag!
what does it mean?

flight return to the same location landing averts triggering nag
2019-2-14
Use props
cutis
Second Officer
United States

Here is some cal background info

https://www.mavichelp.com/tips/dji-mavic-compass-calibration-guide.33
2019-2-15
Use props