P3 Crash City
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
modestbrandon
lvl.1

United States

Well.. Day one and I flew into a tree. It was a pretty bad@ss crash though (let me know if you want to see the video). I'm hoping the experts out there can give me some assistance in creating a useful thread for helping beginners like myself but more specifically, helping me with my current problem

So I flew into a tree, the phantom hit the ground, I shut the props off and let it chill for a second. I immediately lost the feed to my mobile device so after it sat there a few moments with the props off, I shut it down and fired it back up. When it came back on the camera did it's normal thing and after 4-5 seconds, the lens drops downward and it began to beep in a repetitive beep-beep...long space.... beep-beep.... long space beep-beep..... long space and so on type fashion.

The camera will act like normal and face forward for about that length of warm up time so I know it is working but then it just aims downward and goes limp. The Phantom itself will fly perfectly (although now with some natural camouflage from the chlorophyll pigment) but I just don't seem to get the video feed.

Does anyone know what could be the problem or how I can reset/fix it?

Please let me know if some footage of its current behavior will help diagnose the problem.

I appreciate your help, thanks!

Brandon
2015-6-5
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sorry for the crash dude
If you could record the issue and post a video that would be good for us to see the issue, hard to picture the damade/impact the aircraft got. Also you culd try a camera reset and then gimbal calibration.

You can now buy the official DJI Hardshell Backpack
Remember to buy extra propellers and one or two spare batteries to keep you flying
www.Phantom-Guide.co.uk - The Ultimate Phantom 3 Resource

2015-6-6
Use props
modestbrandon
lvl.1

United States

sploodge Posted at 2015-6-6 17:55
Sorry for the crash dude
If you could record the issue and post a video that would be good for us ...

2015-6-6
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

modestbrandon Posted at 2015-6-6 20:43
https://youtu.be/o94OgUyvXw4

Give camera reset and gimbal calibration a go..
2015-6-6
Use props
modestbrandon
lvl.1

United States

sploodge Posted at 2015-6-6 20:48
Give camera reset and gimbal calibration a go..

At the risk of sounding too novice, how do you do that?
I just shot this video this morning to help show what it's doing. Notice how it's slowly turning after it fires up:
2015-6-6
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

camera reset ( reset settings )

Gimbal calibration ( do on level surface ):

Alos make sure the tolt on the camera is not set to point down..
2015-6-6
Use props
modestbrandon
lvl.1

United States

sploodge Posted at 2015-6-6 21:28
camera reset ( reset settings )

I'm not able to select anything like your screenshots in the app. My mobile device is saying "no signal" but it gives me information about the aircraft. It also has a selection circle popping back and forth between the camera icon and the video icon. There's no setting similar to what you posted.
Are you using an application on the computer?
2015-6-6
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

modestbrandon Posted at 2015-6-6 21:42
I'm not able to select anything like your screenshots in the app. My mobile device is saying "no s ...

The screenshots are from the iPad version..What device you using?
2015-6-6
Use props
modestbrandon
lvl.1

United States

sploodge Posted at 2015-6-6 23:15
The screenshots are from the iPad version..What device you using?

I am using a Samsung Galaxy S4. I actually figured out what the problem was, embarrassingly enough... A cable had become disconnected between the gimbal and the vision positioning system. I have a couple of photos but the button for attaching a photo seems to be greyed out.
2015-6-8
Use props
P4TRI0T
lvl.3
Flight distance : 53645 ft
United States

Glad you were able to fix it.
2015-6-8
Use props
vu.q.le
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-6-8
Use props
DivenDog
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1087028 ft
United States

Use the flight sim at least for like 5 hours and get a cheap quad and practice, practice and practice some more.

-Dog
2015-6-8
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

"I'm hoping the experts out there can give me some assistance in creating a useful thread for helping beginners like myself "
Trees are the number one killer of Phantoms for beginner pilots.
The most useful thing beginners can learn from this is to do all your early flying well away from trees, buildings and other obstacles.
2015-6-9
Use props
modestbrandon
lvl.1

United States

Good advice, unfortunately I jumped right in with the Phantom 3 Pro. I'm sticking to open areas (after nearly hitting two other trees) and getting the hang of it. A lifetime and Atari, Nintendo, Xbox, and PlayStation alongside 6 or 7 RC helicopters, I think I'm picking up fast. I attempting to learn without using the screen at first... after all you got to learn to hover before you can fly.
2015-6-9
Use props
leostrat_54
lvl.3

United States

modestbrandon Posted at 2015-6-10 00:52
Good advice, unfortunately I jumped right in with the Phantom 3 Pro. I'm sticking to open areas (aft ...

One more thing once you get more accustomed to your aircraft.  In many cases, going "UP' as a natural response when you are approaching an object will get you out of danger.  It has saved my bird more than once when flying in ATTI and the wind picked up.
2015-6-9
Use props
sheinisch
lvl.1

Germany

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2015-6-9 17:22
"I'm hoping the experts out there can give me some assistance in creating a useful thread for helpin ...

I agree... and I bought a P3P as my first quadcopter, too. But I don't think that one really needs to have a cheap quadcopter for the beginning. If you treat it like a flying camera and not a racing car, there's no problem.

Mine got caught in bushes 2 times, but I decided to stay below 2 or 3 m of height for the first flights... and while training the battery. I got quickly accustomed to the agility and speed of the Phantom as well as the - really special - behaviour in nose-in flying.

Have done app. 20 flights by now, in different surroundings, and the 2 bushes have been my only unwanted contacts.

Regards,
Sven
2015-6-9
Use props
schoug
lvl.2
Flight distance : 72582 ft
Sweden

Sorry about the crash, However the error is showing pretty clear in your video. Your eyes are on the screen and not on the bird. Im aslo a beginner with a Phantom 3A as my first one. There is no need to get a cheaper quad before flying a phantom as long as you operate it with care and dont fly beyond your limitation. My eyes are constantly on the bird when its moving. Only when its still and free of opticals I move my head to the screen.
2015-6-10
Use props
msjh
lvl.3

United Kingdom

modestbrandon Posted at 2015-6-6 20:43
https://youtu.be/o94OgUyvXw4

As said elsewhere, you absolutely must keep your eye on the drone.

The camera can't show you what it can't see and it "only" has a 94º angle of vision.  The tree was not in that 94º.  Luckily for you it was just a tree you hit.

I am sorry to sound preachy, but please watch the drone 90%+ of the time when you are flying it.
2015-6-10
Use props
modestbrandon
lvl.1

United States

schoug@gmail.co Posted at 2015-6-11 02:18
Sorry about the crash, However the error is showing pretty clear in your video. Your eyes are on the ...

You're absolutely right. I realized that as it happened. I was watching the screen and attempted to roll it to my right since I knew the tree was on my left but because I wasn't spatially aware, I rolled the toggle to my right which sent the bird to my left (since it was facing me). Had I been focused on the phantom and not my screen, I might have caught it.
2015-6-11
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

vu.q.le@outlook Posted at 2015-6-9 11:45
Until one masters manual flying, I wouldn't fly an expensive toy such as the Phantom without practic ...

thats not needed at all because the P3 doesnt even have a manual mode, a manual mode would be fatal for the gimbal because ppl would start to make loops etc.. The Phantom series is super easy to fly, much easier than small micro quads because the Phantom is slower and it holds its altitude with the 50% stick position.

In this video above the pilot should go on an open field for the first flight and not near a tree. The basic feeling for the sticks must be learned, how sensitive the quad reacts to stick inputs etc.. In the video the pilot gets confused that left is not left when the phantom points its nose at him. The easiest way to prevent this would have been looking at the FPV screen because than left stays always left regardless of the nose position. But its paradox that the area is so wide and free and he hitted the only tree there is
2015-6-12
Use props
clkilljoy1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15207 ft
United States

modestbrandon Posted at 2015-6-9 02:56
I am using a Samsung Galaxy S4. I actually figured out what the problem was, embarrassingly enough ...

I was going to tell you to check the cable connections,  BUT you figured it out for yourself.  Glad that was all that was wrong.
2015-6-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules