Flying in Alaska (June/July/August) & Shifting North Pole
781 11 2019-2-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Doc Ozzy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2174482 ft
Germany

Probably a lame question, but hoping to get some advice for an upcoming trip sometime in the summer. (Dates pending)
With the movement of the magnetic north pole, do I need to be concerned flying my MP in Alaska? I'm looking for input about how the shifting pole may affect flight -- if at all?

I'm probably overthinking it, so I also welcome recommendations on what to bring during the trip. (Keep those Mavic-specific.)

Thank you!
2019-2-12
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi there, thanks for the inquiry. Regarding that, It is mentioned that the drone could not be used in P mode in polar regions, you can only fly the drone with VPS system. So the height will be limited. Please refer to the manual below. Should you have further question, please let us know. Thank you.

2019-2-12
Use props
Doc Ozzy
lvl.3
Germany

DJI Natalia Posted at 2-12 13:31
Hi there, thanks for the inquiry. Regarding that, It is mentioned that the drone could not be used in P mode in polar regions, you can only fly the drone with VPS system. So the height will be limited. Please refer to the manual below. Should you have further question, please let us know. Thank you.

[view_image]

Thank you.

This then begs the question --> What defines "polar areas"? Is there a specific latitude? 60°? 70°? 80°? I don't anticipate being above 65° latitude.

2019-2-12
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Doc Ozzy Posted at 2-12 14:05
Thank you.

This then begs the question --> What defines "polar areas"? Is there a specific latitude? 60°? 70°? 80°? I don't anticipate being above 65° latitude.

Hi, thanks for the quick response. However,  there is no specific latitude that was mentioned on the manual. No worries, I will clarify this to our R&D department for further clarification. Thanks for your understanding.
2019-2-12
Use props
Doc Ozzy
lvl.3
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2-12 16:01
Hi, thanks for the quick response. I'm afraid but there is no specific latitude that was mentioned on the manual. No worries, I will clarify this to our R&D department for further clarification. Thanks for your understanding.

Thank you, Natalia.

I’ll watch for your reply when you here back from R&D.
2019-2-12
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Doc Ozzy Posted at 2-12 16:58
Thank you, Natalia.

I’ll watch for your reply when you here back from R&D.

You're most welcome. I'll get back to you once I have the update. Thanks for your patience.
2019-2-13
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

I believe the Polar areas pertain to The Arctic region which extends from the North Pole to the Arctic Circle (66.5°N latitude). The Antarctic region extends from the South Pole to the Antarctic Circle (66.5°S latitude)
In other words don't fly where the temp is really, really cold such as North and South pole areas.

Of course DJI might have another explanation for the Polar areas.
When you go stay warm and fly safe.

2019-2-13
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

In other words don't fly where the temp is really, really cold such as North and South pole areas.

I am pretty sure let's say Chicago was colder than polar regions this year.
2019-2-13
Use props
Doc Ozzy
lvl.3
United States

B1houdini Posted at 2-13 08:40
I believe the Polar areas pertain to The Arctic region which extends from the North Pole to the Arctic Circle (66.5°N latitude). The Antarctic region extends from the South Pole to the Antarctic Circle (66.5°S latitude)

Oh, I don't intend on going there tomorrow... I plan on being there in the summer when highs are in the mid-60's. I think that's within the temperature threshold.

I'm more concerned with the effectiveness of GPS or navigation.

But thanks for the comment!
2019-2-13
Use props
Doc Ozzy
lvl.3
United States

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2-13 08:42

I can't imagine! I lived in Chicago for a few years. Just needed one winter with lake effect to get me to move!

Stay warm!
2019-2-13
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2-13 08:42

It has nothing to do with temperature.  I, and many others, have flown from +100 to -15F, many times below zero.

It isn't just compass either.  If I remember correctly (it's been a long time), GPS becomes much less accurate north or south of certain latitudes, not allowing good 3 dimensional fixes.
2019-2-16
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2-16 17:22
It has nothing to do with temperature.  I, and many others, have flown from +100 to -15F, many times below zero.

It isn't just compass either.  If I remember correctly (it's been a long time), GPS becomes much less accurate north or south of certain latitudes, not allowing good 3 dimensional fixes.

I guess ATTI should still be an option?
2019-2-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules