Mavic Air Abnormal Lens Flare?
2177 17 2019-2-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kram7211
lvl.1
United States

I have been experiencing abnormal lens flare whenever the camera is facing the general direction of a bright light. Even if the camera is angled down, the line of flare still appears. I contacted customer support and they directed me to the manual that states flying towards the sunlight brings about the product limitation. I have attached their reply. I don't think its a vision system issue, rather a camera/lens/sensor defect. Has anyone experienced anything similar?

DJI Support Reply to Flare Issue

DJI Support Reply to Flare Issue
2019-2-22
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

That does look strange. Are you using any ND filters.
2019-2-22
Use props
kram7211
lvl.1
United States

Woe Posted at 2-22 19:08
That does look strange. Are you using any ND filters.

No filters. I checked the lens for any debris - totally clean.
2019-2-22
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

kram7211 Posted at 2-22 19:31
No filters. I checked the lens for any debris - totally clean.

Weird, I would try some ND filters. Is this the first time you noticed it?
2019-2-22
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

I also subbed. Here's mine
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCafytSDKNZGQkr4ZvE7MMWQ
2019-2-22
Use props
ShermanFlyer
First Officer
Flight distance : 596896 ft
United States

I have noticed some flare in my stills, but no more than expected. That does look extreme. Any chance it could be caused by the sun reflecting on something ? Just a thought
2019-2-22
Use props
kram7211
lvl.1
United States

ShermanFlyer Posted at 2-22 19:48
I have noticed some flare in my stills, but no more than expected. That does look extreme. Any chance it could be caused by the sun reflecting on something ? Just a thought

This video and a few others were the most extreme that brought it to my attention, but when I went back and looked at older footage that long band of flare was present in almost all of them when the camera was facing the general direction of bright light. I just submitted a repair request.
2019-2-22
Use props
ShermanFlyer
First Officer
Flight distance : 596896 ft
United States

kram7211 Posted at 2-22 20:03
This video and a few others were the most extreme that brought it to my attention, but when I went back and looked at older footage that long band of flare was present in almost all of them when the camera was facing the general direction of bright light. I just submitted a repair request.

Good luck, hope you get it fixed
2019-2-22
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi Kram, could you please help to check the lens provide me with a picture of it? I will double check your case with our engineers.
2019-2-22
Use props
Michael O'Connor
lvl.3
Ireland

I could be completely off the mark, are you flying with a gimble protector on?
2019-2-23
Use props
kram7211
lvl.1
United States

DJI Thor - Heres the picture of the camera as requested. I circled the area where the abnormal flare occurs. Looks like a separation or crack in that area.
Michael - no, the gimbal protector was off.
2019-2-23
Use props
DJ-MA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 127713 ft
Netherlands

my 2 cents, this looks like the effect I get when I clean my glasses when they are a bit greasy ... try some window cleaner with a q-tip and polish them with a soft clean cloth - also, there is an artistic effect to it
2019-2-23
Use props
AlphaFlightNW
Second Officer
Flight distance : 784265 ft
  • >>>
United States

Woe Posted at 2-22 19:34
I also subbed. Here's mine
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCafytSDKNZGQkr4ZvE7MMWQ

Subbed as well. Good to see another PNW Pilot.
2019-2-23
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

AlphaFlightNW Posted at 2-23 16:36
Subbed as well. Good to see another PNW Pilot.

Thanks and I agree
2019-2-23
Use props
AlphaFlightNW
Second Officer
Flight distance : 784265 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thats an odd thing for them to reply with. I can only give you my best guess, but if cleaning the front element, ie the surface you can physically touch, doesnt fix it then this might be a warrenty issue. The fact it is not only caused by the sun but other lights as well seems extremely odd, also the fact its such a unique shape of glare is extremely odd as most flares are mostly circular or "halo" like on my aircraft. I hope this helps
2019-2-24
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Try a sunhood, ND's or a circular polariser
2019-2-24
Use props
*DM*
Second Officer
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

I use a lens hood if there is any sunshine.

No probs so far and it also protects the camera and gimbal from side winds.
2019-2-24
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

kram7211 Posted at 2-23 10:24
DJI Thor - Heres the picture of the camera as requested. I circled the area where the abnormal flare occurs. Looks like a separation or crack in that area.
Michael - no, the gimbal protector was off.
[view_image]

Thanks so much for getting back. It's hard to find the crack on the picture. In your case, it could be that the drone was shooting in the overexposed scene for a long time. The sensor kept recording the light track, as it is using the auto dimmer, therefore, there may be some delay when the scene changes from the overexposed to the normal exposure and the flare occurred.
Please try to use the ND filter or enable overexposed warning on the camera settings. See if this helps.
If the lens has a crack, you may need to send it in. If you had already sent the drone in, you please kindly provide me with your case number, I will keep an eye on it.
Besides, please kindly click the "Reply" button if you reply to me so that I can get the reminder and check it asap. Thanks!
2019-2-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules