Question about Mavic Air Moving Lines/Flicker (no compress. flicker)
901 7 2019-3-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Quadratwurzel
lvl.1
Austria

Dear DJI Community,

I have used my Mavic Air for a few weeks now and am overall very pleased.
I have noticed one issue, which I cannot quite put my finger on and hope, you may be able to solve this for me.

Generally, when shooting 4K, I can see a certain kind of flicker/movement on the outer lines of objects or high detailed areas. Now I know, this sounds like compression flicker, however, I am quite certain that this is a different subject. My kind of flicker looks more like the kind that appears when you watch a video in a window that is too small for the video size. Also, this problem only seems to appear on 4K. That is why I figured, possibly my laptopscreen is too small for displaying 4k properly, even though I thought MacBook Air Screens should have no problem with that (2017).

Now, however, something odd happened. While rendering video files with DaVinci Resolve, I noticed, after rendering 4K files, this problem is massively reduced or disappears in the final files. I have done some experimenting, and, even if I do not modify the source file at all, and even if I export the file in 4K as well, the output file will not have this flicker anymore.

Summarizing: I import a 4K file (with flicker) and conduct no modifications at all within the DaVinci software. I immediatly render and export the same file into another 4K clip, the output clip not having this issue anymore.

I will add two example clips, one being the original clip, and one being the final clip.
Please note, that the quality of the clip is not very good, because it is made by using a screen recording software and is also zoomed in. Low quality or compression artifacts are not my issue though. I particularly mean the flickering outlines of the CENTERED tree when the camera moves. Also, towards the mid-end of the video you can see strong flickering in the trees' bark that is revealed at 07:00 seconds into the video, directly LEFT (behind) of the centered tree. Please watch in FULL SCREEN and not within dropbox (dropbox player can only display in low quality) to properly see the issue.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s97ua ... 53N2AUYyzKuX6a?dl=0

Thanks for your help!
Kind Regards
Q

2019-3-1
Use props
Quadratwurzel
lvl.1
Austria

Any ideas?
2019-3-3
Use props
AIister
lvl.4
Flight distance : 626647 ft
Canada

if you record in 4k and are watching it or converting to to something smaller, you can get aliasing

look up moire on google or youtube.  
2019-3-5
Use props
Quadratwurzel
lvl.1
Austria

Thank you, however, the flickering does not only disappear when rendering down to a lower resolution.
It also disappears if the resolution stays the same. All I have to do is render it through DaVinci Resolve without making any changes.
The problem is only, when not(!) using DaVinci Resolve, I am getting these flickering lines.

Best
2019-3-7
Use props
Adam_Kuzniar
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1036217 ft
Poland

The file is gone already, can you reupload it ?
2019-3-8
Use props
AIister
lvl.4
Flight distance : 626647 ft
Canada

do you have a 4k monitor to view it?  if not then it is being resized/resampled.  if you render it, the program should automatically help with the flickering, it would be standard.  maybe there is an option to turn it off.  anyway i gave you the answer , doesn't matter how it is removed or not, it is the answer.
2019-3-8
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

i have a TV monitor and a 4K TV.   do you have a straight out of camera and after resolve to look at so i can compare..?
2019-3-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Are you using correct hertz for you side of the world IE 60hrtz US NTSC 50hrtz Europe Pal ? I think you also have anti flicker setting in your app, but I’m not 100% abou5 that .
2019-3-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules