Video shot at 120fps outputs to 30fps??
3457 5 2019-3-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LarryBags825
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2221 ft
United States

Hi everyone!  Im having trouble getting 120fps video files when flying.  Settings are changed and the readout on the screen says 1080/120fps, but when I open the files in premiere all of them are at 30fps.  Im able to get 60fps at the higher resolution, but the 120fps files are getting converted.  I have tried a couple of cards and received the same result.  One card writes up to 30MB/s and the other writes at up to 70MB/s.  I've checked on other forums about cards to use and they seem to be ok based on what I've read unles Im missing something.

I looked in the manual and it says that the maximum data rate is only 100mbits/second.  Am I missing something?  Is there something Im not turning on in the DJIGO app (using current version, btw)?  

Any help is appreciated!

Extra Info
Using an 128GB iPhone 8 or iPad mini 4
Editing in Premiere
2019-3-5
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Open the movie in QuickTime Player and then check the movie properties to see what the frame rate actually is. If 120fps, then on import to Premiere you are doing something wrong, causing conversion to the lower frame rate. Hope this helps.
2019-3-5
Use props
LarryBags825
lvl.1
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 3-5 13:39
Open the movie in QuickTime Player and then check the movie properties to see what the frame rate actually is. If 120fps, then on import to Premiere you are doing something wrong, causing conversion to the lower frame rate. Hope this helps.

It says 30fps when I do that. I checked both the file i copied to my computer and the one on the memory card and they all came up as 30fps.   

However upon further inspection it seems that the mavic is saving all 120fps video but slowing it down to a 30fps video clip already at 1/4 the speed and 4 times as long of a clip.  I got caught up when I was organizing the footage I shot yesterday and it was saying that they were 30 and not 120.  They're just output as already slowed-down files.

Thanks for responding and sorry for not looking in to this further on my end.
2019-3-5
Use props
SPIKE_151
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69767 ft
United Kingdom

Its probably your default import settings in premiere. If you default is set at 30 fps and you are importing 120 , its changing the imported video to match your default settings. My cyberlink power director and davinici resolve 15 both warn me when there is a conflict in my standard settings vs imported video settings, generally asking me if I want to change it. I would have a look at your default settings. On another note 100 m/bits write speed on your memory card is a must for mavic 2 pro and phantom 4 pro.
2019-3-5
Use props
LarryBags825
lvl.1
United States

SPIKE_151 Posted at 3-5 23:51
Its probably your default import settings in premiere. If you default is set at 30 fps and you are importing 120 , its changing the imported video to match your default settings. My cyberlink power director and davinici resolve 15 both warn me when there is a conflict in my standard settings vs imported video settings, generally asking me if I want to change it. I would have a look at your default settings. On another note 100 m/bits write speed on your memory card is a must for mavic 2 pro and phantom 4 pro.

It's not my import settings in premiere.  I've been working in premiere for close to 7 years.  I don't change file properties when I import as to not affect the original.  The mavic is doing it.  The original files still on the memory card are 30fps as well.  The M2P isn't recording the files as 120fps.  Its converting them to 30fps files and making them 4 times as long.  They're essentially already slowed down files.   

I'd really prefer them to be saved as 120fps files so that I can find them instead of having to look through other files that are also 30fps and causing more time to be wasted in searching for files.

Are you getting actual 120fps files or are the converted and slowed already to 30FPS?
2019-3-6
Use props
Booradley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11349537 ft
United States

LarryBags825 Posted at 2019-3-6 05:20
It's not my import settings in premiere.  I've been working in premiere for close to 7 years.  I don't change file properties when I import as to not affect the original.  The mavic is doing it.  The original files still on the memory card are 30fps as well.  The M2P isn't recording the files as 120fps.  Its converting them to 30fps files and making them 4 times as long.  They're essentially already slowed down files.   

I'd really prefer them to be saved as 120fps files so that I can find them instead of having to look through other files that are also 30fps and causing more time to be wasted in searching for files.

Just going to take a stab at this.... Did you find an answer?  Is there a way to retain the 120fps?  After learning LOG and RAW for images are not true RAW or LOG, meaning they simulate it but ultimately even in RAW or LOG they are baking in lens correction and other things you would expect with JPG for example.    I hope that makes sense.  With that I suspect we will be unable to get to the 120fps because I am thinking the software on the drone renders it instantly in order to process all of that data.  The equivalent of compressing it.  I find that the 120fps looks terrible on the Mavic Pro 2 vs shooting with my Nikon D780 at 120fps.  Holy cow it is smooth and I am not even shooting in LOG.  For me to do that with my D780 I must record with an SSD and an external screen with hardware and software that can view the LOG files in real time while recording.  So when I heard the Mavic Pro 2 can shoot LOG, I thought wow, how the hell can they pack all that into such a small drone.  Today, I think the tech is essentially there (we'll find out with MP3) but a few years back I would think a custom rig would be the only way or possibly the inspire???  Anyway, I am reserving to accepting I will not be able to achieve the frame rate, however here's what I am going to do.  Speed it up 4x (except for the times I need slowmo), my sequence settings in premiere pro are always 24fps for cinematic quality, so in essence I will be working with the same frames anyway.  It just sucks that it's already baked in at 30fps.  Jeez I hope this makes sense haha.  Here's a cool pic to look at if this was a waste of time for you.  I apologize for the compression grain, I need to figure out ideal export settings for this forum.
2021-7-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules