Car Charger & Converter
1459 34 2019-3-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Squaredot
lvl.1
Flight distance : 14701 ft

Australia

Has anyone had any experience using the car charger with a converter to wall power?

For example: https://www.ebay.com.au/i/202399023203?chn=ps
2019-3-7
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Russia

Why  would you want to use a car charger ?
2019-3-7
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. May we know if you're trying to charge the battery of your drone using this accessory? We're hoping that you could get the best feedback from our valued customers who manage to use this said car charger and converter. Thank you for continued support.
2019-3-7
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

That device cannot supply enough current, so it will not work. Like Solentlife, I am puzzled as to why you would even want to do this?
2019-3-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I can see why you requested this information. & It’s your business... no one should ask why.

But Unless traveling by motor vehicle and required some random charging, while out on the road... it’s not important.

Are you making a road trip, while wishing to be bringing your drone along?

RedHotPoker
2019-3-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

solentlife Posted at 3-7 04:23
Why  would you want to use a car charger ?

That’s non of your business, or any of ours, to ask. How rude... brother wow!!

Running interference in the game of drones..

What ever he plans, let him have his time... in freedom.

RedHotPoker
2019-3-7
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 3-7 17:37
That’s non of your business, or any of ours, to ask. How rude... brother wow!!

Back off. It is not a rude question, it is a perfectly valid question to ask. You are letting your feud with solentlife get in the way of providing an answer to the OP's question. Using a wall adapter to power a car charger makes no sense from any practical point of view, hence the reason why two of us asked. In any event, the correct answer to his question is that the adapter he posted a link to would not work as it only supplies 2 amps, and the car charger requires in excess of 5 amps.
2019-3-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Geebax Posted at 3-7 18:10
Back off. It is not a rude question, it is a perfectly valid question to ask. You are letting your feud with solentlife get in the way of providing an answer to the OP's question. Using a wall adapter to power a car charger makes no sense from any practical point of view, hence the reason why two of us asked. In any event, the correct answer to his question is that the adapter he posted a link to would not work as it only supplies 2 amps, and the car charger requires in excess of 5 amps.

I just think it was not polite to ask.
Now that’s My opinion, not yours, ok.?

Why so defensive? It was only a thought.

Seriously? ‘Twas nothing to get your granny panties, in an uncomfortable bunch, about... hahaha

By the way, I couldn’t Care less one “sway” or other, about the Latvian rebel.

Why do you care? That seems odd to me. Even if he’s your bosom buddy.

So No reason to shy away, for me. Standing my ground...firm!!

RedHotPoker
2019-3-7
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I sense some tension in the air   

Poor guy, his 1st time on the forum too and dives head 1st in to it

Question, serious one too cause i aint too clever with most things electrical, is it not a case of, it would work but take a LOT longer to charge over twice as long? Or, just not work end of?

I think that perhaps the guys in house charger has prob gone done turtle on him and he's trying to find a low cost route due to a) being a cheap skate like me or b) just lacking the funds to splash out on something as (to him) trivial as a DJI charger when there is food to put on the table etc. Looks like hes either got the car charger already or refer to a or b above lol Or he has both, car and in house charger but he away from home and forgot to bring it with, hey, who knows until he answers  post reply #2 ;)

As an FYI, i wouldn't even think about this for my battery, i would prefer to buy second user when trying to keep costs down.
2019-3-7
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Bashy Posted at 3-7 19:39
I sense some tension in the air   

Poor guy, his 1st time on the forum too and dives head 1st in to it

If it is a replacement for a mains power charging device, and money is an issue, then the best advice is to look for someone selling a genuine charger on-line. And that's all I am going to say about it.
2019-3-7
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That is what i would do, but its not always the best option and could end up costing you more though, especially off of facebook, i am so wary of FB market place, normally there is something wrong with the items if not at 1st obvious, last couple of dearer things i bought have been lemons, 1 was a 80 quid Samsung home cinema, it overheats, says fan is no good, i even replaced the fan and still the same so i put a small 40mm fan behind it and thats resolved now, the other was the Samsung Smartthings kit, 2 senors report battery low even when the batteries are brand new (i replaced them) and the more expensive plug was not in the box. Buying online 2nd user is always a big gamble to be honest.

You didnt answer my question though re what would happen if a 2amp is used, would it still work but at a slower charge rate or not work at all?
2019-3-7
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Bashy Posted at 3-7 20:23
That is what i would do, but its not always the best option and could end up costing you more though, especially off of facebook, i am so wary of FB market place, normally there is something wrong with the items if not at 1st obvious, last couple of dearer things i bought have been lemons, 1 was a 80 quid Samsung home cinema, it overheats, says fan is no good, i even replaced the fan and still the same so i put a small 40mm fan behind it and thats resolved now, the other was the Samsung Smartthings kit, 2 senors report battery low even when the batteries are brand new (i replaced them) and the more expensive plug was not in the box. Buying online 2nd user is always a big gamble to be honest.

You didnt answer my question though re what would happen if a 2amp is used, would it still work but at a slower charge rate or not work at all?

'You didnt answer my question though re what would happen if a 2amp is used, would it still work but at a slower charge rate or not work at all?'

Sorry, most likely it would not work at all. It may even smoke the wall wart.
2019-3-7
Use props
Squaredot
lvl.1

Australia

Thank everyone for the replies

To answer a few questions i purchased a phantom 4 but i didn't come with a charger (as it was second hand and he had already sold the charger)

I didn't really feel like paying the ridiculous $110 AUD for a charger, so i bought a second hand car charger for $50 AUD

The link i had above was only an example just in case you didn't know what i was referring to as a "converter"
But I would like to buy a similar but more reputable one

I want to be able to charge my batteries from a wall socket without having to shell out $110 for an overpriced charger

I just wanted to get a second opinion and i'm not an electrical engineer hahahahaha

Cheers guys
2019-3-7
Use props
Squaredot
lvl.1

Australia

yeah i've only owned my drone for not even a week
Sorry if it was a dumb question hahahahahaha

I mean using a converter like above (like some of you said above a more powerful one)
Would actually be a very cost effective way to have the best of both worlds incase you ever need to charge from a car,
I dunno i makes sense to me, maybe im missing something
2019-3-7
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Squaredot Posted at 3-7 22:00
yeah i've only owned my drone for not even a week
Sorry if it was a dumb question hahahahahaha

As I said above, look on eBay and see if you can get a used mains charger, it is a much better solution. It will charge your battery far faster than any car charger can.
2019-3-7
Use props
Squaredot
lvl.1

Australia

Bashy yeah im a poor uni student hahahahahahah
I only paid $500 AUD for a phantom 4 which was a steal,
So spending $110 on a pretty basic charger just makes no sense
2019-3-7
Use props
Squaredot
lvl.1

Australia

Is it usually this heated in these forums?
2019-3-7
Use props
Squaredot
lvl.1

Australia

Geebax Posted at 3-7 22:04
As I said above, look on eBay and see if you can get a used mains charger, it is a much better solution. It will charge your battery far faster than any car charger can.

yeah for sure!
2019-3-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Squaredot Posted at 3-7 22:05
Is it usually this heated in these forums?

It depends who you tangle with, heated or actually on fire, with smoke pouring out your ears.

Seriously, my apology, sorry being in a hard place, between two rocks, so to speak.
Not the fault or oweness of the forum. So that was uncalled for. My bad.

RedHotPoker

2019-3-7
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Russia

Squaredot Posted at 3-7 21:56
Thank everyone for the replies

To answer a few questions i purchased a phantom 4 but i didn't come with a charger (as it was second hand and he had already sold the charger)

Hi....

I was not trying to be rude, just interested why someone would go such a route. It is actually not a very good way to do the job at all.

Now I read your later post - I have to say that $50 for a 2nd hand car charger is IMHO way overpriced. There are mains powered chargers designed to charge your P4 battery for similar price.

Here's a charger for 3 batterys + controller in one :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-in- ... :g:Fv0AAOSwWw1bA--N

Here's a single charger :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genui ... :g:C3cAAOSw6kNbnNBy

I realise the above are UK based .... but I am sure they can be found other country based eBay etc.

A car charger is a good item to have though ...

If you really are set on using it. Then this may seem a daft way - but it works. I have used this for various power jobs via car adaptors :>

One of those all in one Car Emergency starter packs with flashlight and 12v socket. With its charger connected to it and car adaptor plugged in - you can have reasonable output ... its charger helping it to extend time before voltage drops too low.But its only good to charge one maybe two packs.

2019-3-8
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Russia

Squaredot Posted at 3-7 22:04
Bashy yeah im a poor uni student hahahahahahah
I only paid $500 AUD for a phantom 4 which was a steal,
So spending $110 on a pretty basic charger just makes no sense

Price is good for a P4 .....

I have a number of DJI chargers in the drawer-but sadly not for a P4 ... if I had - I would send you one.

DJI will never tell you this - but  you can charge any of their packs via a reasonable programmable LiPo charger .... such as an Accucel or similar.
An Accucel 6 costs about $30 .... add about $5 for a P4 adaptor lead and about $20 for a 12V / 10A  mains power supply to run it.

What always amazes me is why someone would sell the charger separately - then have the rest on hand to sell ? The charger + P4 together would easily fetch much better price.
2019-3-8
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 3-7 20:46
'You didnt answer my question though re what would happen if a 2amp is used, would it still work but at a slower charge rate or not work at all?'

Sorry, most likely it would not work at all. It may even smoke the wall wart.

Good to know, thanks
2019-3-8
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

solentlife Posted at 3-8 07:08
Price is good for a P4 .....

I have a number of DJI chargers in the drawer-but sadly not for a P4 ... if I had - I would send you one.

What always amazes me is why someone would sell the charger separately - then have the rest on hand to sell ? The charger + P4 together would easily fetch much better price.

I can only think of one reason where this would be a viable option and its not a good one
2019-3-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Do tell? Haha

RedHotPoker
2019-3-8
Use props
Squaredot
lvl.1

Australia

solentlife Posted at 3-8 06:56
Hi....

I was not trying to be rude, just interested why someone would go such a route. It is actually not a very good way to do the job at all.

Considering the car chargers retail for $110 paying $50 to me seems pretty reasonable

The wall chargers go for about $95

I wouldn't trust those blue 3 in 1 chargers they have been plagued with problems

Yeah i might have a look into it

Cheers for the advice
2019-3-9
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Squaredot Posted at 3-9 00:36
Considering the car chargers retail for $110 paying $50 to me seems pretty reasonable

The wall chargers go for about $95

My car charger cost A$20 and came from eBay. Works perfectly.
2019-3-9
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Russia

My car charger for  my P3 was about $10 ..... works perfect.

My'Blue' 3 + 1 charger has never given anything except brilliant service in more than a years service ...in fact near 2 years. It charges each battery at same rate as the DJI charger simultaneously.... so 1, 2 or 3 batterys in less than 1 hour.

Quote' I wouldn't trust those blue 3 in 1 chargers they have been plagued with problems

?? Hard to find any posts suportiing  that. Plenty of them out there in use.
2019-3-9
Use props
Marcy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1229938 ft
Canada

Using 20 Dollar car charger for a year works great also have a wall charger
2019-3-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Some people who wish to charge their flight packs remotely, will carry a second fully charged car battery.

RedHotPoker
2019-3-9
Use props
Squaredot
lvl.1

Australia

solentlife Posted at 3-9 04:06
My car charger for  my P3 was about $10 ..... works perfect.

My'Blue' 3 + 1 charger has never given anything except brilliant service in more than a years service ...in fact near 2 years. It charges each battery at same rate as the DJI charger simultaneously.... so 1, 2 or 3 batterys in less than 1 hour.

Okay yeah well that's good to hear then cause I heard they had some issues with not having ground wires,
people's boxes becoming electrified from sketchy soldering

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u59ZJ5yijI (one of many videos i found explaining the issues )

But if you recon they're actually pretty decent I might end up getting one
Ive got three batteries so it would be very nice to charge them all
2019-3-9
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Squaredot Posted at 3-9 22:49
Okay yeah well that's good to hear then cause I heard they had some issues with not having ground wires,
people's boxes becoming electrified from sketchy soldering

Many chargers are not grounded as they are 'double insulated' so in the result of a failure to any of the mains circuitry it does not result in the case going live and electrocuting the user. That looks like an aluminium case which should be earthed for safety purposes. I'm surprised if these are being sold in the EU.
2019-3-10
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Russia

Aardvark Posted at 3-10 06:12
Many chargers are not grounded as they are 'double insulated' so in the result of a failure to any of the mains circuitry it does not result in the case going live and electrocuting the user. That looks like an aluminium case which should be earthed for safety purposes. I'm surprised if these are being sold in the EU.

Enamelled alloy case.

CE certified ......

I have various amplifiers ...decks .... all sorts of items in alloy cases such as 240v Hornby Train Controllers as example ............. all CE and sold in EU. In fact walk around the house ... washing machines etc.
2019-3-10
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

solentlife Posted at 3-10 12:19
Enamelled alloy case.

CE certified ......

But in that particular case in the video why is the earth pin on the socket not attached to the case, all for the sake of a short piece of wire. Much cheapness.

I too have many pieces of equipment that are metal cased, and unsurprisingly they are all earth bonded for safety, washing machines etc. Apart from anything else it screens any interference they may be producing.
2019-3-10
Use props
DroneGuyEd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1168140 ft
  • >>>
United States

This may not be what you are looking for, but I got one of these last year and it works well.  Handles the case for 110V devices when stuck in a car.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also have one of these I use as a backup to my regular DJI P4 charger, which doubled as a second charger for Crystalsky batteries.

https://www.amazon.com/Smatree-B ... amp;sr=8-1-fkmrnull
2019-3-11
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Russia

Aardvark Posted at 3-10 13:28
But in that particular case in the video why is the earth pin on the socket not attached to the case, all for the sake of a short piece of wire. Much cheapness.

I too have many pieces of equipment that are metal cased, and unsurprisingly they are all earth bonded for safety, washing machines etc. Apart from anything else it screens any interference they may be producing.

Just because it  has a 'kettle plug / socket' does not mean it has to have 3rd pin connected. CE requires that any fault can be contained in the appliance either by internal means or  via earth wire.

There are many appliances that have a two pin power plug even though at  appliance - it may have 3. Do not forget also that ENR is still used in many countries.

But putting that aside .... my item has 3 wire connected.
2019-3-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules