New Ronin-S Firmware Released (2019/03/14)
57900 208 2019-3-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
haell
lvl.4
Sweden

DJI Mindy Posted at 3-15 00:19
Hi hael, Multi will do multiple things USB cannot such as shoot video with Steadyshot on, photo shutter control, zoom, and using an external monitor. The only thing Multi cannot do is manual focus.

I understand, and I also understand your developers have had a journey trying to develop full functionality support for the Sony Alpha models. Either way I'm very content with the current functionality offered by the USB-C cable - so a big thanks to the development team for being persistent  

I'm not experiencing any issues with the FW for what I use it the Ronin-S for so I'm very happy about that too!

Cheers!
2019-3-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Kanaye Shogun Posted at 3-14 07:36
Since everyone from DJI is ignoring my post...i am going to ask the same question here ..

Does anybody have a problem with Ronin S smoothes, especially on the panning?

Hi Kanaye, sorry for the late response, your thread could be missed during the Chinese New Year, we sincerely apologize for that.
Improperly balancing the pan axis will result in a side to side wiggle when the gimbal is trying to stabilize the camera as you walk. To check whether your pan axis is balanced properly, please take something like the included charger and place it under one of the tripod legs and hold the handle. With your other hand, go into the App and run the balance test. All 3 axes should be Excellent if properly balanced. Please check more details here: https://forum.dji.com/thread-182599-1-1.html You can also tilt the device 45°, then check if the Power value of the pan motor is in the range of +/-5. If not, the device will need to be balanced again.
2019-3-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

BlackBaron Posted at 3-14 18:52
Same issue after the update. A7III with a Sigma Art 50mm. Using the multi-cable I ordered from DJI. I'm still only able to digital zoom. The record button works fine.

Hi BlackBaron, haell is correct, Manual Focus only works when connecting via MCC-C cable, please use the correct cable and make sure the settings are proper. GTScreenshot_20190315_164938.png
2019-3-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

adamroper Posted at 3-14 16:21
I have the same issue. The Ronin S is my first gimbal so I have nothing to compare it to but I'm beginning to think it's not my technique anymore. I've tried two different cameras, different tunings, IS on and off on the lenses, made sure everything is really well balanced in every direction, etc, and my footage usually looks like this, even if it is sitting on a tripod and I'm just using the joystick.

Hi adamroper, we sincerely apologize for the troubles with Ronin-S.
Improperly balancing the pan axis will result in a side to side wiggle. To check whether your pan axis is balanced properly, please take something like the included charger and place it under one of the tripod legs and hold the handle. With your other hand, go into the App and run the balance test. All 3 axes should be Excellent if properly balanced. Please check more details here: https://forum.dji.com/thread-182599-1-1.html
You can also tilt the device 45°, then check if the Power value of the pan motor is in the range of +/-5. If not, the device will need to be balanced again.
2019-3-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Patrick Seguin Posted at 3-14 16:15
I did a test with the DJI Ronin S firmware v1.8.0.70 Canon EOS R Firmware 1.1.0 Canon 50mm RF 1.2  and the focus wheel doesn't work properly. It takes forever to move the focus from one point to another. I also tried with a 24-70 V.II 2.8 and i have the same problem. when i move the wheel i can hear a little noise from both lens. on the 24-70 i can see that it move the focus distance on the little window but very slowly. I did power the Ronin-S first and the EOS R after. The record button works. I put the servo at OFF. It doesn't work when the the nob ont the lens is in manual with makes us loose the focus peeking guides, and thats a reel downer. the focus on the lens need to be on. Maybe i'm doing something wrong because it does say that the firmware is suppose to support the Canon RF 50mm. So please help out DJI, to any of guys in the forum.  here is a link for a video so you can see the back of my camera!  NEED HELP!!!      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBRE_9RXhWk&feature=youtu.be

Hi Patrick, we have added three speed settings of focus for Canon cameras (requires Ronin app v1.1.8 or later). Please adjust the speed in the Ronin APP--Create--Camera--Settings to see if it works. Thank you.
2019-3-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

mavicroninz6 Posted at 3-14 13:02
Same problem here. It seems usb-c and hdmi out worked at same time with Z7 with Ronin-S and external monitor.  But not for Z6 with these. The main difference is still the firmware for Ronin-S. I don't Nikon limited only one of the ports works at a time for Z6 but not Z7.

Hi mavicroninz6, thanks for your feedback, any chance to take a short video so that we can forward to our engineers for verification? We also need the firmware version of your Z6 and the model of your external monitor. Thank you.
2019-3-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Dresh Posted at 3-14 12:29
I just installed the new firmware. Installation was no problem. Then, I tried to connect my Sony A7sII. Problem.

I attached the cable, turned one the camera and the camera display says: CONNECTING USB. And it never changed and never connected.

Hi Dresh, may I verify if you are using MCC-Multi cable? If yes, after connecting the cable, please be sure to power on the Ronin-S before the camera, thank you.
2019-3-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

bcharleson Posted at 3-14 10:43
Awesome thanks! Still having troubles finding the right controls though. I have the same set up as you on MF, MCC-C cable, updated firmware. I have it on PC Remote and Control with Smartphone off and still doesn't seem to work. Any other settings?

Hi bcharleson, please ensure the firmware of your camera is the latest version and make sure all the settings are correct. If the issue persists, may I verify what is the indicator of the Focus Wheel? Was it connected successfully? GTScreenshot_20190315_164938.png
2019-3-15
Use props
Davidmartin
lvl.2
Flight distance : 578182 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Does not work with Sony A7III - A7IIIR - A7IIIS. The approach does not work well. I have tried all the settings and I am following all the instructions. With this new update it is now possible to move the focus manually, but it is quite unstable because it has a very high latency and they do not have any fluency, the focus is doing small jumps. I have tested with 5 lenses of various brands, all the same. I have also tried all the speeds of the application and I have everything updated.

The previous user who has a Canon EOS R here has the same problem, so the problem is DJI RONIN - S and not the cameras.

The subject of the manual focus remains unresolved.
2019-3-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

haell Posted at 3-15 00:29
I understand, and I also understand your developers have had a journey trying to develop full functionality support for the Sony Alpha models. Either way I'm very content with the current functionality offered by the USB-C cable - so a big thanks to the development team for being persistent  

I'm not experiencing any issues with the FW for what I use it the Ronin-S for so I'm very happy about that too!

We sincerely appreciate your feedback and understanding, hope you have a great time with ronin-S.
2019-3-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

dantastic Posted at 3-14 04:24
Works well with the Z6 until I tried adding an external monitor, the camera won't output a Hdmi signal whilst connected to the gimbal

Hi dantastic, thanks for your feedback, any chance to take a short video so that we can forward to our engineers for further verification? We also need the firmware version of your Z6 and the model of your external monitor. Thank you.
2019-3-15
Use props
Davidmartin
lvl.2
  • >>>
Spain

Davidmartin Posted at 3-15 02:34
Does not work with Sony A7III - A7IIIR - A7IIIS. The approach does not work well. I have tried all the settings and I am following all the instructions. With this new update it is now possible to move the focus manually, but it is quite unstable because it has a very high latency and they do not have any fluency, the focus is doing small jumps. I have tested with 5 lenses of various brands, all the same. I have also tried all the speeds of the application and I have everything updated.

The previous user who has a Canon EOS R here has the same problem, so the problem is DJI RONIN - S and not the cameras.

Currently, this problem has all the cameras that previously did not work the focus wheel. The focus goes badly, it jumps instead of being fluid. Honestly, I think that being that way, nothing has been fixed because nobody is interested in having a fluent approach, in the videos it is quite obvious that this approach is jumping.
2019-3-15
Use props
MarcoP
lvl.1
Portugal

and suport for fujifilm(
2019-3-15
Use props
haell
lvl.4
Sweden

Davidmartin Posted at 3-15 03:17
Currently, this problem has all the cameras that previously did not work the focus wheel. The focus goes badly, it jumps instead of being fluid. Honestly, I think that being that way, nothing has been fixed because nobody is interested in having a fluent approach, in the videos it is quite obvious that this approach is jumping.

I dont have a solution to your issue sadly, but I do not have the same experience with the A7R3. It sound almost like you have cable going bad issues, or that the actual USB-C port on either the camera or the Ronin-S is glitchy/ soldering point is broken
2019-3-15
Use props
Davidmartin
lvl.2
  • >>>
Spain

haell Posted at 3-15 03:46
I dont have a solution to your issue sadly, but I do not have the same experience with the A7R3. It sound almost like you have cable going bad issues, or that the actual USB-C port on either the camera or the Ronin-S is glitchy/ soldering point is broken

It happends with all cameras, not only with Sony. Please, make a video trying the focus wheel with your camera and upload here. You will see that the problem exist.
2019-3-15
Use props
domdomdom
lvl.1
Germany

Hi there!

tested the update on my A7M3. Works with my Sony 50mm 1.8 but NOT with Samyang AF 35mm 2.8 Pancake! Shame.... ...very sad!

Bye
2019-3-15
Use props
Davidmartin
lvl.2
  • >>>
Spain

The new version does work, but I think people are not checking their files on the computer. The focus wheel does work with several cameras but is working pretty badly. It has a lot of latency and also gives many jumps during the approaches. The problem appears in all cameras that were not compatible before but now they are compatible, I work in a photography store and official distributor of DJI and I can assure you that I have done all the tests. Here I put a video so you can see better what I am referring to.

https://vimeo.com/324202309

2019-3-15
Use props
griffdude13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 53507 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sony the A7s series still can't use the autofocus wheel without the additional attachment? That's a little disappointing
2019-3-15
Use props
Davidmartin
lvl.2
  • >>>
Spain

griffdude13 Posted at 3-15 06:19
Sony the A7s series still can't use the autofocus wheel without the additional attachment? That's a little disappointing

All cameras have the problem of latency and jumps with the latest firmware!
2019-3-15
Use props
V9XUyZCg
lvl.1
United States

I have waited enough time. The ... ant working with my Sony a7s2. I’m returning it. And go with Moza Air2. Good luck to you all. I feel better already.
2019-3-15
Use props
Patrick Seguin
lvl.1

Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 3-15 01:20
Hi Patrick, we have added three speed settings of focus for Canon cameras (requires Ronin app v1.1.8 or later). Please adjust the speed in the Ronin APP--Create--Camera--Settings to see if it works. Thank you.

I already Tried the speed with the app and its not working properly it jumps focus, a little bit faster but far away from working properly. because if i compare to other models of camera where the focus wheel works good, mine works terribly  i can't use it like that.  Is this normal? Is it normal that we need to put the lens on auto Focus? If yes i dont get it, we loose the ability of the focus peeking that way.
2019-3-15
Use props
Davidmartin
lvl.2
  • >>>
Spain

Patrick Seguin Posted at 3-15 06:32
I already Tried the speed with the app and its not working properly it jumps focus, a little bit faster but far away from working properly. because if i compare to other models of camera where the focus wheel works good, mine works terribly  i can't use it like that.  Is this normal? Is it normal that we need to put the lens on auto Focus? If yes i dont get it, we loose the ability of the focus peeking that way.

I said it. All cameras now (not GH5) are not working good with focus wheel. Just look my video.

2019-3-15
Use props
dopey-tree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6716467 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Any updates, when is the Blackmagic bmpcc4k camera going to work with the roninS? It has usbC cable. It should be plug and play.
2019-3-15
Use props
Patrick Seguin
lvl.1

Canada

I wanted to try if  i would have the same problem with a monitor on my EOS R at the same time of the focus wheel even if it doest work properly but I am unable to plug it it in because of the angle of the MCC-C cable. I dont see any MCC-C cable that doesn't have an angle so i can hook up a monitor at the same time. That raises some questions like do your engineers did some real test with the latest camera like the EOS R and all the new ones you have introduce.  It looks like for many camera the Focus Doesn't work and some people are unable to use their monitors on other camera at the same time with the MCC cables. My guess is you havent tested that with the EOS R because i can't see how you would be able to plug it in. And if i push my logic further i'm now questioning if you did some test with a physical body and the focus wheel problem for Canon and Other brands.  This firmware was looking promising but so far i only see people that have the same problem and not only with the EOS-R it doesn't look like it was tested before you offer it to your customers.  Would be nice to have a engineers drop in to give us some reel answer...
2019-3-15
Use props
Patrick Seguin
lvl.1

Canada

I just did some research on the Moza Air 2,  and they are very  fast on updating there firmware on a regular basis. look at how many updates they had in only a couple of months. Why can't DJI do the same? https://www.gudsen.com/upfile/admin/file/download/Release%20Notes-Air%202-V1-EN.pdf
2019-3-15
Use props
Davidmartin
lvl.2
  • >>>
Spain

DJI has released this version knowing it is wrong. They have released this version simply to be able to say that they are compatible with the cameras. Why do you think they have released the "essensial" version and have not followed the standard? because they know that the focus wheel does not work well. They tried everything before taking it out and evidently knew that the approach, despite being now compatible, does not work well at all. In fact it is fatal, the jumps it gives are the worst.

I am quite disappointed with the work that DJI is doing with this Ronin - S. Like many other users, I feel that I deceive people when selling this product because I work in a store and I have to tell customers that the camera they use it is not entirely compatible, that the wheel of the focus is USELESS.

In short, LAMENTABLE update.
2019-3-15
Use props
DJI-Paul
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41159547 ft
  • >>>
China

Ask Sony to turn it on via their software. Check Sony's on tethering software which doesn't enable any type of manual focus control on the current A7SII.
2019-3-15
Use props
DJI-Paul
lvl.4
  • >>>
China

Patrick Seguin Posted at 3-15 07:17
I wanted to try if  i would have the same problem with a monitor on my EOS R at the same time of the focus wheel even if it doest work properly but I am unable to plug it it in because of the angle of the MCC-C cable. I dont see any MCC-C cable that doesn't have an angle so i can hook up a monitor at the same time. That raises some questions like do your engineers did some real test with the latest camera like the EOS R and all the new ones you have introduce.  It looks like for many camera the Focus Doesn't work and some people are unable to use their monitors on other camera at the same time with the MCC cables. My guess is you havent tested that with the EOS R because i can't see how you would be able to plug it in. And if i push my logic further i'm now questioning if you did some test with a physical body and the focus wheel problem for Canon and Other brands.  This firmware was looking promising but so far i only see people that have the same problem and not only with the EOS-R it doesn't look like it was tested before you offer it to your customers.  Would be nice to have a engineers drop in to give us some reel answer... [view_image]

The USB-C cable can be flipped around.
2019-3-15
Use props
DJI-Paul
lvl.4
  • >>>
China

dopey-tree Posted at 3-15 06:52
Any updates, when is the Blackmagic bmpcc4k camera going to work with the roninS? It has usbC cable. It should be plug and play.

They don't have any type of control protocol ready.
2019-3-15
Use props
DJI-Paul
lvl.4
  • >>>
China

Davidmartin Posted at 3-15 06:46
I said it. All cameras now (not GH5) are not working good with focus wheel. Just look my video.

https://vimeo.com/324202309

The focus wheel adjust has variable speeds. It changes from slow, 2x, to full speed (end-to-end) focus depending on how fast you turn the wheel. These speeds are multiplied based on the speed you set in the app as well.

Because this is focus-by-wire, it's not position based meaning if you go too fast, the multiplier will change. If you control at a constant speed, it should be pretty close from point to point.
2019-3-15
Use props
DJI-Paul
lvl.4
  • >>>
China

V9XUyZCg Posted at 3-15 06:31
I have waited enough time. The ... ant working with my Sony a7s2. I’m returning it. And go with Moza Air2. Good luck to you all. I feel better already.

Unless Sony updates their firmware for that camera, it's not happening.

Tether the camera to Sony's own app which doesn't support any manual focus functions for the A7SII.
2019-3-15
Use props
DJI-Paul
lvl.4
  • >>>
China

Sony never enabled the feature in their own firmware and I don't see them updating firmware now for that camera.
2019-3-15
Use props
Patrick Seguin
lvl.1

Canada

DJI-Paul Posted at 3-15 09:17
The USB-C cable can be flipped around.

Thanks Paul, I did not think of that, never had a camera with the type C before! So yes it does flip around and good news the Monitor works even when the MCC-C cable is plug in. But Focus wheel is not usable because of the jump focus.
2019-3-15
Use props
Between2tides
lvl.2
United States

Let me ask a second time.

Is the sensitivity on the focus wheel going to be adjustable for manual lenses? Or better yet, has this already been done??? And if so, where do you make the adjustment?

Appreciate a response thanks.
2019-3-15
Use props
fans50545bed
New
United States

I'm using the Z6 and I also am losing video to external monitor once I power on the Ronin-S. So right now my options are to have focus pulling but no external monitor to view or record, or to use monitor to view and record but no focus pulling.

Also, in the app when I try to set the focus speed to the slowest setting, it craps out and the focus wheel stops working and I have to restart. It works at the second slowest setting though, anything faster is too fast on the Nikon 20mm 1.8.
2019-3-15
Use props
dopey-tree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6716467 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-Paul Posted at 3-15 09:19
They don't have any type of control protocol ready.

There is a bluetooth api available though that would work lovely with the ronin app for timelapse & motion control etc.
2019-3-15
Use props
Patrick Seguin
lvl.2
Canada

fans50545bed Posted at 3-15 10:41
I'm using the Z6 and I also am losing video to external monitor once I power on the Ronin-S. So right now my options are to have focus pulling but no external monitor to view or record, or to use monitor to view and record but no focus pulling.

Also, in the app when I try to set the focus speed to the slowest setting, it craps out and the focus wheel stops working and I have to restart. It works at the second slowest setting though, anything faster is too fast on the Nikon 20mm 1.8.

Does your focus wheel work smoothly with the Z6 ? no jump focus?
2019-3-15
Use props
Marco06
lvl.3
France

take back your ronin and give us our money ...
Shame on you to market a product without interest.
Why so many customer complaints without any concrete feedback from you?
why avoid existing real problems like drift?
Why did you market a product not ready?
listen to the disastrous opinions of your customers !!!!!!!
2019-3-15
Use props
Patrick Seguin
lvl.2
Canada

Marco06 Posted at 3-15 12:16
take back your ronin and give us our money ...
Shame on you to market a product without interest.
Why so many customer complaints without any concrete feedback from you?

Hey Marco, I found this for fixing the drift problem, i also find another video and they fix the problem themselves!   if you try it let me know if it works.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpUJIg_H10w
2019-3-15
Use props
fans50545bed
New
United States

Patrick Seguin Posted at 3-15 10:54
Does your focus wheel work smoothly with the Z6 ? no jump focus?

It doesn't seem to jump as much as I saw in another post, but it does take little turning to change the focus a lot. I'm not sure if it's because of the 20mm. I'll test it out with the 85mm soon, that will be much more obvious.
2019-3-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules