Mavic Pro Maiden Video Efforts
772 15 2019-3-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
vanousb
lvl.2
United States

Maiden efforts taken from my "new to me" Mavic Pro in teh country side of KY.
2019-3-17
Use props
DJI Panda
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Nice video
2019-3-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice video, was it shot on 'auto' exposure?
2019-3-17
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13978875 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Very nicely done
2019-3-17
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nicely done
2019-3-18
Use props
vanousb
lvl.2
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 3-17 23:08
Nice video, was it shot on 'auto' exposure?

This one was auto with no after adjust. Have ordered a filter to assist in lighting changes.
2019-3-18
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

vanousb Posted at 3-18 02:51
This one was auto with no after adjust. Have ordered a filter to assist in lighting changes.

I'm not sure how your knowledge of exposure etc. is (general photography), but filters won't help you in lighting changes.
They just lower the overall light that gets through to the sensor.
In your case, you could just lower the exposure compensation (the slider in the app).
That way your drone will make for a faster shutterspeed and you get a nicer exposed look.

The real issue you have here is that the sky is over exposed and the ground is 'ok'. That is because the dynamic range of your Mavic Pro's sensor is limited.
There is not much you can do about that, other than shoot on a flat profile to have as little contrast as possible. (you will need post processing to make your image usable again).

Normal ND filters won't help you out here, unless they are graduate ND filters. But that has other issues for drones (not too practical)

One thing a ND filter will help you with, is be able to shoot at a lower shutterspeed at daylight conditions. Some say it gives a better look and in some cases that is true indeed.
2019-3-18
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Very nice video, great job
2019-3-18
Use props
Atlas_Aus
Second Officer

Thailand

Mate it might be new to you, but clearly you have been flying and editing a long time ! Well done.
2019-3-18
Use props
vanousb
lvl.2
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 3-18 03:10
I'm not sure how your knowledge of exposure etc. is (general photography), but filters won't help you in lighting changes.
In your case, you could just lower the exposure compensation (the slider in the app).
Thanks all.
2019-3-18
Use props
vanousb
lvl.2
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 3-18 03:10

Thanks for the info. The camera and settings are my area of growth more so than the flying.  I did not think of trying to make less split scene to adjust contrast. Will keep that in mind going forward.
2019-3-18
Use props
vanousb
lvl.2
United States

vanousb Posted at 3-18 07:34
Thanks for the info. The camera and settings are my area of growth more so than the flying.  I did not think of trying to make less split scene to adjust contrast. Will keep that in mind going forward.

Any advice on affordable post processing software? I know that is the next step in enhancing footage beyond cam setting.  And would love some advice on settings some of you with more experience use.
2019-3-18
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

vanousb Posted at 3-18 07:34

That is one of the nice things on this forum
Learning all the time.
2019-3-18
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

vanousb Posted at 3-18 07:40
Any advice on affordable post processing software? I know that is the next step in enhancing footage beyond cam setting.  And would love some advice on settings some of you with more experience use.

For photo editing I love Affinity Photo.
It is almost as good as Photoshop (better in some area's), but only cost 1 time $50 or so.

If you want to go free, there is GIMP (although I never tried it, since I had Photoshop and now Affinity).
I'm not sure about the learning curve on them.
I have been using Photoshop for ages, so I know my way around it (not that I am a good editor, but I know where to find things).

For video, there is Davinci Resolve.
Free. Hard to learn, but some love it.
I tried it, watched a couple of tutorials but dropped it because I could not get used to it.
But if you are new to this, you might want to invest time in learning the program.

I personally use Sony Vegas Pro 14. But that is rather expensive.
There should be cheaper good video editors out there, but I never bothered searching.
2019-3-18
Use props
ShermanFlyer
First Officer
Flight distance : 596896 ft
United States

Nicely done, thanks for sharing
2019-3-18
Use props
maddox
Captain
Malaysia