Registration
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jim Watkins
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9132172 ft
United States

Greetings all,

I own two Phantom 4's and for years I have flown recreationally.  until now, both phantoms have been used only recreationally (part 101) and share the same registration number.  Today, I passed the part 107 exam.  My question is, do I need to re-register the two Phantoms since they will be used commercially on occasion under part 107?  There will also be times I am flying just for fun as I have done in the past.  In those cases I will be operating under part 101.  I assume I am going to need to reregister each drone independantly under part 107 now, but would that necessitate me de-registering them from thier current registration under part 101?  Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

--Jim
(burbank, CA)
2019-3-18
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Jim. Congratulations in passing the part 107 exam and thank you for reaching out. I hope you'll get the best information and recommendation here from our valued DJI Members and Customers on the need to re-register the two DJI Phantom Drones. Thank you.

2019-3-18
Use props
Caspers driver
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4540515 ft
United States

Hi Jim,
Big congratulations on your new ticket!

Here is my take and what I have been told after I got my part 107.

There is part 107 rule and recreational rules. FAA says you can fly under either now. BUT, you need to choose which. You will need to get a separate number for each drone under 107 for one thing. Same number for all under recreational.
It seems conflicting but really isn’t. You can fly for fun under part 107 all you want, but you are still bound by all the 107 rules when doing so. FAA is perfectly clear about choosing one though.

Hopefully this makes some sense!??

You’ve earned it. So just register your phantom’s and follow your new rules and enjoy,,!
2019-3-18
Use props
Jim Watkins
Second Officer
United States

Caspers driver Posted at 3-18 15:29
Hi Jim,
Big congratulations on your new ticket!

Thanks for the response.

So do I need to keep the old registration number (part 101) label on both Phantoms as well as two new part 107 registration numbers each displayed on both drones respectively?  I need to know if i need to change the registration(s) and how to do so.
--Jim
2019-3-18
Use props
Caspers driver
Second Officer
United States

Jim Watkins Posted at 3-18 18:10
Thanks for the response.

So do I need to keep the old registration number (part 101) label on both Phantoms as well as two new part 107 registration numbers each displayed on both drones respectively?  I need to know if i need to change the registration(s) and how to do so.

If you want to fly under 101 you do nothing. BUT if you want to fly under your new 107 privileges/rules, you need to go on site and follow to the 107 area. Each of your drones will be registered separately and will get their own number. You put that number on the correct drone and just get on with flying under the new rules you’ve earned.

Your old 101 numbers you can leave I suppose, but you need the new 107 numbers if you fly under them rules. (Clear as mud?)

Pretty simple really. Your choice. But you do have to pick.

Hopefully that cleared up some??
Try this link. It has link you need to register your drones under part 107 and other information.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/commercial_operators/
2019-3-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Jim Watkins Posted at 3-18 18:10
Thanks for the response.

So do I need to keep the old registration number (part 101) label on both Phantoms as well as two new part 107 registration numbers each displayed on both drones respectively?  I need to know if i need to change the registration(s) and how to do so.

If you register your drone/s under Part 107, you may as well toss away the old numbers.
You can fly a part 107 registered drone for recreational flights.
2019-3-18
Use props
Jim Watkins
Second Officer
United States

Thanks for the responses.  Very helpful.

--Jim
(Burbank, CA)
2019-3-19
Use props
Caspers driver
Second Officer
United States

Jim Watkins Posted at 3-19 04:12
Thanks for the responses.  Very helpful.

--Jim

You’re welcome!
2019-3-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Many congrats - fly safe and start charging (money that is)
2019-3-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules