RTK Phantom 4 Questions
1508 3 2019-3-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dotkickpra1
lvl.1

Vietnam

Is the D-RTK 2 High Precisoin GNSS mobile station required if I have a internet based VRS?
If I am required to use teh D-RTK 2 station, where do I place it in relation to my project, pilot and drone?

If I end up using PPK, does the drone come with processing software?

2019-3-19
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1118740 ft
  • >>>
United States

No.
If not using a VRS you would generally put the D-RTK 2 on a benchmark or other point with known coordinates, in the area you are flying (near pilot in most cases). If you don't have a known location, you can log data for at least 15 minutes into a RINEX file and then send it to a web service such as OPUS for rapid-static processing, which will give you very precise coordinates for the base location.
The P4P RTK comes with no PPK post-processing software of any kind, and dismally inadequate documentation. Search RTK on this forum for lots of helpful info and shared notes from users.
2019-3-20
Use props
jgillan
lvl.2

United States

patiam Posted at 3-20 08:14
No.
If not using a VRS you would generally put the D-RTK 2 on a benchmark or other point with known coordinates, in the area you are flying (near pilot in most cases). If you don't have a known location, you can log data for at least 15 minutes into a RINEX file and then send it to a web service such as OPUS for rapid-static processing, which will give you very precise coordinates for the base location.
The P4P RTK comes with no PPK post-processing software of any kind, and dismally inadequate documentation. Search RTK on this forum for lots of helpful info and shared notes from users.

Hi patiam. Thank you for providing a lot of information on this forum. It is helping many people including myself. Regarding your comment that you can 'log at least 15 min into a RINEX file'. Are you able to do this independent of taking images with the drone? Are you able to generate and download a RINEX file directly from the D-RTK 2? The D-RTK 2 apparently has a 'handheld mapping device' mode. But in the user guide, DJI says this will be 'supported later'. Ha.
2019-3-21
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1118740 ft
  • >>>
United States

jgillan Posted at 3-21 09:13
Hi patiam. Thank you for providing a lot of information on this forum. It is helping many people including myself. Regarding your comment that you can 'log at least 15 min into a RINEX file'. Are you able to do this independent of taking images with the drone? Are you able to generate and download a RINEX file directly from the D-RTK 2? The D-RTK 2 apparently has a 'handheld mapping device' mode. But in the user guide, DJI says this will be 'supported later'. Ha.

@jgillan-

Happy to help. I came here with questions of my own and believe that we're all better off if we share what we know (as well as our best guesses).

While I've done what I described (logging L1/L2 RTK data for at least 15 minutes on an unknown point & then uploading to OPUS for rapid-static or static post-processing) with non-DJI survey-grade GPS units, I have not tried it with the D-RTK 2. So I'm not sure if it is possible, but in theory it should be. I'm also not sure of the mechanics of how to accomplish it. I know that the system is capable of logging RINEX data, and should be able to do so without you actually flying. Just not sure what buttons to push to make it happen.
Unfortunately I don't have access to our P4P RTK currently so I can't test any of this.
Your point is well taken- given the level of support we're getting for the parts of the kit that are supposedly supported "now", you gotta wonder what kind of support is coming "later" for the rest of it...
2019-3-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules