Challenges flying at the base of tall cliffs
445 0 2019-3-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
evanwish
lvl.1

United States

Hello, thank you for taking the time to help me. I've done a lot of searching, but maybe someone could point me in the right direction.  

Background:
I fly a lot at the base of tall (200') cliffs inside of steep canyons. I am taking photos of the cliffs for rock climbing guidebooks so I can draw in the lines where the routes go. I'm also taking photos of rock climbers on the wall. Usually, the only place to take off is at the very base of the cliff so half the sky is blocked from satelites. Often times the view into the canyon is blocked by trees as well, so there's a small sliver of sky straight up to catch satelites. I've flown about 20 missions at cliffs like this, and it's the same at every single one of them.

The Challenge:
I'll sit and wait for it to catch as many sateilites as possible, and it usually only gets 3-6 satilites and will be in ATTI Mode, which also means there's home point. I end up just taking off, but it limits my altitude to 12' above take off... So I fly out to the middle of the canyon where it finally can catch satelites. Of course once it catches GPS it automatically records the home point as the space hovering in the middle of the canyon. Sometimes while I'm flying out to the middle of the canyon, unable to go 12' above my launch elevation, it will start sinking and loosing elevation. It will respond to all directional imput, except up... even when it is 10' below the launch elevation, causing me to fly it farther into the canyon for the ground to drop away below it as it sinks. Then it catches satelites and I get full control and I can fly anywhere with ease. The real challenge is when there are trees blocking my direct path out to the middle of the canyon. If I could catch satelites and fly above 12', I would just fly up 30' then out to the canyon, but I end up having to dodge and weave trees to get out to the canyon, limited by my 12' elevation max. (Once I catch GPS mode, I can come in and land over the trees before it looses satelites).

The Questions:
1. Is there a way to change that 12' max altitude for when it is not in GPS mode? My overall max altitude is set to higher.
2. Why does it sometimes, but not always, sink when its in ATTI mode? The unpredictability is stressful.

3. What happens if it needs to do a return to home (loss of connection is possible out there) and the home point is recorded in the middle of a canyon, 200' away from the cliff, and 200' above the ground?

Thank you for your time!

2019-3-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules