Micro-usb connector
2101 22 2019-4-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rogerdee
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10148 ft
United Kingdom

As a disgruntled Android phone user who couldn't connect (easily) to my Osmo Pocket I had to make do with an adaptor changing Type C to Micrp usb which certainly worked but  the extension of this interface made it slightly worrying as far as sustainability. I am sure one day I'll break the phone connector.

SO, I searched the net and couldn't believe it when staring me in the face at Aliexpress.com was exactly what I needed. An adaptor, the same type as dji's which clips on, just the same BUT Micro-USB.

Was it a hoax?

Well I  thought it was worth a punt, ordered one and waited. I assumed when it turned up it would be a standard female Type-C to Male Micro-USB so wasn't excited when I received my little package today - till I opened it.

Looked the part, clipped it on the Osmo Pocket, popped on my phone and lo and behold it works great.

The link to it is:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ ... .0.0.59ec4c4dNZdtqr

IMG_20190401_113424.jpg
2019-4-1
Use props
DJDream
lvl.3
Israel

Wow, what a great find. Interesting that there is a 3'rd party manufacturer who is producing this king of micro-usb connector for Osmo Pocket and not DJI...In my opinion at least 70% of the cell Androis cell phones are still using a micro-usb connector.
2019-4-1
Use props
BeterBan
lvl.4
Austria

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/O ... .0.0.27424c4dww2XkZ
2019-4-1
Use props
dronieuk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17018 ft
United Kingdom

I guess one reason why DJI didn't make the connection is it's directional.
Not all phones have the microUSB port mounted the same way round, where as lightning and USB C can be inserted either way and work.
With MicroUSB they risked people complaining that the phone screen was the wrong way around.
2019-4-1
Use props
BeterBan
lvl.4
Austria

Look Chinese dealers! You can buy TWO versions (for less than ONE DJI connector)! Fitting each microUSB connector.
You also can use an adapter USB C to microUSB for less than ONE DOLLAR

WHY DJI doesn't add FOUR adapters with OP? Iiiiiii do not need lightning adapter because
I avoid iPhones like devil holy water, but my Android phones and Android tablets have microUSB or USB C.
2019-4-1
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

I thought this must be an April 1st joke.
How wrong can I be?
2019-4-1
Use props
rogerdee
lvl.2
United Kingdom

dronieuk Posted at 4-1 05:56
I guess one reason why DJI didn't make the connection is it's directional.
Not all phones have the microUSB port mounted the same way round, where as lightning and USB C can be inserted either way and work.
With MicroUSB they risked people complaining that the phone screen was the wrong way around.

HI,
You just select whjich version you want at checkout.

Also it caomes in a nice little bx designed to hold four so good storage for the lightning and type-c you don't use

2019-4-1
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day rogerdee. Thank you for sharing this information and your insight regarding the Micro-usb connector for the DJI Osmo Pocket with us today.  Just a friendly reminder that we do not recommend using 3rd party accessories for the DJI Osmo Pocket. 3rd party devices might affect the component and can also affect the performance of the DJI Osmo Pocket when in use. Actually, there is a possibility that these Micro-usb connector will be able work on the said device. However, since it's not yet optimized and tested by DJI we cannot guaranteed the stability of the said accessory if it will work all the time with no issues while using them. Thank you for your support.
2019-4-1
Use props
Silenc
lvl.2
United States

Just fyi there is a reason that they dont include a micro a connector and that is because there are more limitations with it other than direction of the connector. The biggest is data transfer speed.
2019-4-1
Use props
BeterBan
lvl.4
Austria

It works with USB C to microUSB adapter, WHY it should not work with direct microUSB? Even better!
I NEVER had any problems with such an (additional) adapter for € 1!

Price of (original) USB C / lightning adapter is € 10 - € 16 ... microUSB second source is under € 4
2019-4-1
Use props
rogerdee
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Silenc Posted at 4-1 09:11
Just fyi there is a reason that they dont include a micro a connector and that is because there are more limitations with it other than direction of the connector. The biggest is data transfer speed.

Totally agree, but transfer speed is the ONLY reason as far as I can see. But if you do not have demanding situations that require fast data transfer and you just looking for a good working solution to something obviously missing on the Pocket then this works great without any extra chance of damage to phone socket through using extended adaptors. The forced (by DJI) use of 3rd party type-c to micro-usb adaptors does put unwanted strain on the sockets which you don't get with these.

After all the DJI versions are made to work and these appear to be identical mechanically.
2019-4-1
Use props
Leandro#
lvl.1
New Zealand

rogerdee Posted at 4-1 14:11
Totally agree, but transfer speed is the ONLY reason as far as I can see. But if you do not have demanding situations that require fast data transfer and you just looking for a good working solution to something obviously missing on the Pocket then this works great without any extra chance of damage to phone socket through using extended adaptors. The forced (by DJI) use of 3rd party type-c to micro-usb adaptors does put unwanted strain on the sockets which you don't get with these.

After all the DJI versions are made to work and these appear to be identical mechanically.

Hi rogerdee! What do you think about the transfer speed? It is acceptable? I'm about to buy this adapter but I would like to know if it works well.
Is there someone else in the forum who has tested it?

The comments and opinions are appreciated     

By the way: Thanks for sharing your discovery
It is the piece that more than half (if not more) of the users of OP we are looking for.
2019-4-2
Use props
MKosmo
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Leandro# Posted at 4-2 14:00
Hi rogerdee! What do you think about the transfer speed? It is acceptable? I'm about to buy this adapter but I would like to know if it works well.

I use a cable and that seems fine, so by using the connector it should have less signal degradation - hence would imagine it will be ok.

I think I read there was an option / mode to record video TO the phone ? I suspect this would show up a bandwidth problem using the non approved connector.

2019-4-2
Use props
Leandro#
lvl.1
New Zealand

Thanks for the quick reply!

Well, I ordered it, now I will sit down and wait for it to arrive in New Zealand.

Then I tell you how it works
2019-4-2
Use props
rogerdee
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Leandro# Posted at 4-2 14:00

Hi Leandro,

Regarding transfer speed, I haven't seen any problems yet but I only got it yesterday so I'll spend some time trying before I comment on that.

For what it costs I think you will be highly delighted !

2019-4-3
Use props
rogerdee
lvl.2
United Kingdom

rogerdee Posted at 4-3 03:54
Hi Leandro,

Regarding transfer speed, I haven't seen any problems yet but I only got it yesterday so I'll spend some time trying before I comment on that.

Just an update on transfer speed I'm not sure where a slow transfer would show up.

I made a bit of test footage in 4k/50p then downloaded that to the phone (Xioami Redmi 3S) in Mimo. I couldn't watch it on the android phone as it won't play 4k so transferred it from phone to PC via wifi. My slow PC, still running win7 (by choice) stutters when trying to play 4k which  is understandable. I then uploaded from PC to Youtube to test and it plays fine in 4K.

If anyone knows how to demonstrate slow transfer speed I'd be grateful if they can let me know so I can test that.

I found  none of the above process either difficult or slow so I am a happy bunny. It's certainly not slow downloading 4k from OP to phone, then yocan do what you wish with the footage.

2019-4-3
Use props
BeterBan
lvl.4
Austria

2019-4-8
Use props
Leandro#
lvl.1
New Zealand

Hi mates, I hope you are all very well!
I have the connector and it works! But, my phone starts charging! In the same way as when the OP is connected with cable. I suppose this happens to everyone.

I thought and I was hoping that this would not happen with this new Micro USB connector, because it is connected in the same way as the original connectors, but unfortunately this error occurs!

Anyone know any solution to this problem? The OP battery is discharged very quickly when we connect our smartphone in one way or another!
2019-6-29
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Leandro# Posted at 6-29 22:53
Hi mates, I hope you are all very well!
I have the connector and it works! But, my phone starts charging! In the same way as when the OP is connected with cable. I suppose this happens to everyone.

It's not an error. It's the way Andriod works within the phone and not an Osmo Pocket problem. There is an Andriod tool kit online you can use to turn off this Andriod feature but it's not advisable unless you know what you are doing as it is working with Andriod base code.
2019-6-30
Use props
Leandro#
lvl.1
New Zealand

Thanks for answering Ray.
Maybe it's not an error as I mentioned, but definitely, it's a pity that our smartphones are not compatible with OP.
But if it is an Android option as you say, how is that with USB-C port this does not happen? I refuse to buy a new smartphone for this damn fault hehehe

Cheers!
2019-7-13
Use props
djiuser_SGtX4I7iJci7
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Thanks for the AliExpress link - I reckon it’s going to cost me lots of little sums of money now!
Spare Lightning adapter, holder and silicon skin ordered.
Anyone know which seller has rubberized filter kits?
2019-7-13
Use props
djiuser_xem2ZdacE87r
New

United Kingdom

Hi guys
The Aliexpress link above is showing page not found. I have found other USBc to micro USB converters but they are either positive or reverse. Does anyone know which one is best for Osmo Pocket 3 and if neither, can you provide a link for a standard converter.
Many Thanks
2021-4-27
Use props
rogerdee
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Try this link then:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ ... b_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

If that doesn't work just do asearch on aliexpress.com for "micro-usb connector for osmo pocket" and DOZENS appear

Positive or reverse just refers to getting one which fits your phone "the right way round" The  shape of YOUR phones socket because they vary which way round they are.

Hold your phone in position against the OP and look at the orientation of the phones micro-usb socket. Compare with those available and pick either positive or reverse.

2021-4-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules