Zenmuse X7 on Matrice V1
2923 9 2019-4-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rossholmberg
lvl.2
Flight distance : 337408 ft
Australia

The Matrice 200 series v2 now has compatibility for the X7 camera. Will we see this compatibility on v1 aircraft as well? Up until now, the reason for not including it seemed to be "there's no SSD, so the write speed is too slow". I realise the write speed won't allow for high bitrate video recording, but for photo capture at a reasonable speed (eg: for mapping), the write speed should be plenty.

We want to use the X7 for mapping to make use of the improved image quality over the X5S, but most of all for the mechanical shutter to avoid rolling shutter effects.

Thanks
2019-4-2
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi rossholmberg, X7 is not compatible with M200 V1 and we do not have this plan currently, sorry for the inconvenience caused.
2019-4-2
Use props
rossholmberg
lvl.2
Australia

Can I put this forward as a feature request please? It's obvious that it's possible with a software update, so I don't understand why you would hold it back.

Surely you want to sell me an X7, right?
2019-4-3
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

rossholmberg Posted at 4-3 19:35
Can I put this forward as a feature request please? It's obvious that it's possible with a software update, so I don't understand why you would hold it back.

Surely you want to sell me an X7, right?

Rossholmberg, I don't know where did you get this idea, but for mapping you'll not benefit from having X7. As a matter of fact X5S will deliver sharper, more detailed image. Film ... yes, X7 will outperform X5S, but for still photography it's an overkill, IMHO.
2019-4-3
Use props
Keule
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3733015 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 4-3 22:47
Rossholmberg, I don't know where did you get this idea, but for mapping you'll not benefit from having X7. As a matter of fact X5S will deliver sharper, more detailed image. Film ... yes, X7 will outperform X5S, but for still photography it's an overkill, IMHO.

The X7 has a mechanical (global) shutter. (X5S has only a rolling shutter)
This feature is a must for mapping to avoid a rolling shutter effect.
You can run a mapping mission with a 'hover and capture at point' but these mission create hundreds of waypoints and are time consuming slow.

Currently i am in the same situation, trying to get an alternative camera for my X4S (which also has a mechanical shutter). The X7 would be perfect.
2019-4-3
Use props
broadlandboy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1654222 ft
United States

Keule Posted at 4-3 23:05
The X7 has a mechanical (global) shutter. (X5S has only a rolling shutter)
You can run a mapping mission with a 'hover and capture at point' but these mission create hundreds of waypoints and are time consuming slow.

What GSD are you wishing to get? The X7 does seem a bit of over kill unless you are flying all day every day in which case upgrade to M200v2
2019-4-4
Use props
Keule
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

broadlandboy Posted at 4-4 00:28
What GSD are you wishing to get? The X7 does seem a bit of over kill unless you are flying all day every day in which case upgrade to M200v2

One of my main purpose is creating 3D models from celltowers which are not solid objects.
The further use is putting the generated PIX4D 3D data into CAD programs, so a GSD of < 0.5cm / px is neccesary.

The M200 V2 series is too new - as a rule of thumb with DJI products, do not buy brand new UAV. (wait at least 1/2 year)

2019-4-4
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Keule Posted at 4-3 23:05
The X7 has a mechanical (global) shutter. (X5S has only a rolling shutter)

Hmm, learning everyday something new, I guess ... I've made many maps with DD software and all kinds of camera, starting from primitive P3P ... Never had any issue with rolling shutter image deformation, but - perhaps - I didn't pay enough attention ...
2019-4-4
Use props
Keule
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 4-4 10:55
Hmm, learning everyday something new, I guess ... I've made many maps with DD software and all kinds of camera, starting from primitive P3P ... Never had any issue with rolling shutter image deformation, but - perhaps - I didn't pay enough attention ...

Here an article from Pix4d about the rolling shutter (link)
2019-4-4
Use props
rossholmberg
lvl.2
Australia

Keule is exactly right, the mechanical shutter would be the biggest advantage. The bigger sensor and higher quality lenses wouldn't hurt for mapping either though. Software these days does a pretty good job of correcting for rolling shutter at the stitching phase, but it's an issue that should really be fixed at the hardware level (ie: mechanical shutter).

DJI holding back this feature (X7 compatibility) seems like bad business to me. It should be possible with a firmware update, would make existing customers happy, and would sell a few more X7 units. Intentionally limiting the capabilities of an older machine in order to sell more newer units will only cost customer loyalty in the long run.
2019-4-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules