Rendering speeds of Premiere 17, 18, 19 and DaVinci Resolve 15 test
3940 9 2019-4-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
karlo_m
First Officer
Flight distance : 349885 ft
Croatia

Hello! As the title says, I’ve tested these and Resolve generally takes the victory! If you’re just starting out in video editing, I’d suggest trying out resolve since it’s a completely free software!

Note that the free version “DaVinci Resolve Lite” compared to “Studio” doesn’t have few features. Most importantly it doesn’t support H264 10-bit clips, and H265 clips. If you want to use 10-bit clips, you’ll have to transcode them to ProRes (on a Mac) and DNxHR (on Windows). Everything is listed on their website and the studio version goes for $300. A bit expensive, but once you buy it, you have a lifetime license for all future versions, unlike Premiere which only comes as a monthly subscription. Premiere costs $20/month, but with After Effects and Audition the cost can be $50/month. Whereas in Resolve, you have built-in “software” for effects and audio called Fusion and Fairlight. Fusion was a separate software until DaVinci 15 and has been used for years by hollywood post-production houses. It is much more powerful than After Effects.

And also, I filmed and tested this before the latest release of Premiere unfortunately. Might go back and retest it after I update.

I’ve tested two different timelines with various codecs, bitrates, effects and LUTs.

The first timeline was a mix of GH5, Mavic 2 Pro and Helium 8K clips. While Premiere handles simpler things okay, when I rendered a 3-minute timeline of a music video which was filmed with GH5 @400Mbps, Resolve rendered the timeline almost twice as fast than Premiere 2019, in just 6 minutes, compared to more than 11 minutes in Premiere 2019.

If you’re interested in how exactly I’ve tested this, check out the video below! I promise I’m really rushing through things and I won’t waste your time!

2019-4-6
Use props
TomThomson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2383960 ft
Switzerland

Nice test, well done! I'm happy that I started video editing with Davinci Resolve instead of Premiere
2019-4-6
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi and good day karlo_m, thanks for sharing this informative footage. I hope this can help our co-pilots here. Enjoy and always fly safely!
2019-4-6
Use props
karlo_m
First Officer
Croatia

TomThomson Posted at 4-6 09:25
Nice test, well done! I'm happy that I started video editing with Davinci Resolve instead of Premiere

You should be! Seems like DaVinci will be much better overall. Resolve 16 should come out on Monday too!

Also, feel free to check out my other videos. I have some colorgrading courses in Resolve on my channel
2019-4-6
Use props
karlo_m
First Officer
Croatia

DJI Paladin Posted at 4-6 09:57
Hi and good day karlo_m, thanks for sharing this informative footage. I hope this can help our co-pilots here. Enjoy and always fly safely!

Thanks a lot! I hope so too!
2019-4-6
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

karlo_m Posted at 4-6 12:05
Thanks a lot! I hope so too!

You're welcome. Cheers!
2019-4-6
Use props
TomThomson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2383960 ft
Switzerland

karlo_m Posted at 4-6 12:04
You should be! Seems like DaVinci will be much better overall. Resolve 16 should come out on Monday too!

Also, feel free to check out my other videos. I have some colorgrading courses in Resolve on my channel

Hey Karlos I watched lots of your videos already and they are very helpful! Thanks a lot for that! And good to know Davinci Resolve comes in a new major version - I'm looking forward to see it ...
2019-4-8
Use props
karlo_m
First Officer
Croatia

TomThomson Posted at 4-8 02:45
Hey Karlos I watched lots of your videos already and they are very helpful! Thanks a lot for that! And good to know Davinci Resolve comes in a new major version - I'm looking forward to see it ...

Thanks for the kind comment! I’m glad you're enjoying my videos! Yes, Resolve 16 comes out today and I plan on redoing the test with Resolve 16 and the new Premiere Spring update!

Stay tuned!
2019-4-8
Use props
CelticShadows
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4144 ft
United Kingdom

Hopefully Resolve will take advantage of AMD's Ryzen chips released today, they're supposed to be multi-core beasts when it comes to performance/price. I've also found you get far better performance with Vega based chips than nVidia's but Quadro cards are more stable than consumer for rendering in my experience.
2019-7-7
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing
2019-8-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now