Cannot takeoff in a no-fly zone
4075 11 2019-4-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans28c57d79
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

The Vero Beach Regional Airport (VRB) will let me fly but DJI won't. I have a paid shoot coming up and I'm grounded. "Yeah, I'm an FAA certified sUAS pilot, but I can't fly my drone. Sorry about that."

This is beyond unacceptable.

My next drone hopefully will not be a DJI. Now I have to find an alternative app and learn to use it in just a few days. Wish me luck!

Ian Rosaaen
Vero Beach, Florida, USA

2019-4-10
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1118740 ft
  • >>>
United States

@Ian Rosaaen - I feel your pain. There are several threads where Part 107 certificated pilots and other professionals are expressing their displeasure with DJI's NFZs and GeoFencing.
2019-4-10
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

An alternative app won't change anything regarding the geo maps.  The geo data is already loaded into your AC.

I don't see any DJI restrictions at VRB other than the normal routine self-authorization zones which have been around for years.

https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map

https://www.dji.com/flysafe/self-unlock

Is there a hidden restricted area on the runway which isn't showing up on the geomap ...?  Or are you confused about how to self authorize?  

Good luck

2019-4-10
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, we're sorry to know about this situation. If this particular location would be highlighted on the red zone then you may need to coordinate this situation into our designated department for requesting an unlocking zone. You could check the level of restriction in this particular location using this link: https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map and for the requesting of unlocking locations in for Authorization Zones, you could check this link: https://www.dji.com/flysafe/self-unlock. For requesting on unlocking the red zone, you could send an email into flysafe@dji.com for further help. Please let us know if you have other concerns. Thank you for continued support.
2019-4-10
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 4-10 08:49
An alternative app won't change anything regarding the geo maps.  The geo data is already loaded into your AC.

I don't see any DJI restrictions at VRB other than the normal routine self-authorization zones which have been around for years.

That's kind of not the point.

DJI should not be requiring pilots (especially certificated ones) to self-authorize or get any sort of unlock in order to fly anywhere.  That's between the pilot and the regulating agencies of his/her country, municipality, and any relevant sites or facilities.

That's what LAANC is for in the U.S.

To have to ask permission from DJI, in advance in some cases, in unacceptable for a professional pilot.
2019-4-10
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

patiam Posted at 4-10 14:03

DJI should not be requiring pilots (especially certificated ones) to self-authorize or get any sort of unlock in order to fly anywhere.  That's between the pilot and the regulating agencies of his/her country, municipality, and any relevant sites or facilities.

This argument has been around for years now, so if you buy a DJI aircraft and you are unaware that the Geofencing is a feature, then you have not done sufficient research into the purchase. And DJI has every right to implement the feature, history will show they were encouraged to implement it by the FAA. Oh, and DJI are not the only manufactuer doing it, so are Yuneec and 3DR. Sorry, 3DR are out of business.
2019-4-10
Use props
Tree Wolf
lvl.4
Flight distance : 451119 ft
United States

if you are flying in the yellow or gold areas, you will be prompted to self unlock at take off, I had a similar situation in Holbrook,AZ.
After I did the  mapping mission with pix4d capture which required no self unlock, I had to take some pics of the buildings using dji go,
it required me to slef unlock at takeoff.
If you are flying near Broocke, the blue zone, that needs a self unlock from dji done on the website, easy.
if you are flying to close to the prison, you are blocked.

Best bet is if you are close to the area you have to fly your mission, is go there a day or 2 before the job and do a pre launch testing the airspace.
2019-4-10
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

patiam Posted at 4-10 14:03

DJI should not be requiring pilots (especially certificated ones) to self-authorize or get any sort of unlock in order to fly anywhere.  That's between the pilot and the regulating agencies of his/her country, municipality, and any relevant sites or facilities.

Really?  I think DJI is wise to recognize certain security precautions should be in order regarding manned aircraft safety, military installation safety, government institution safety, etc.  Surely you must recognize that there are some in this world who wish to do deliberate harm to innocent people.  

DJI has been doing this "NFZ" stuff for over five years now so I really don't think they're going to reverse course at this point.  No, they are not perfect, but they're getting better and better as the years pass.  
2019-4-10
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

@ Mark The Droner, @Tree Wolf, @Geebax-

I get it. You've accepted that it is DJI's role to police the locations where the hardware and software you purchased from them (and now own) will operate. I haven't.

• The fact that they've been continually increasing their level of control for several years doesn't make it OK
  • As they have done so, the difficulties for those that need (not just wish) to operate in those continually growing areas of restricted activity have become untenable
  • The false positive cases and SNAFUs regarding failed unlocks and other glitches have increased as well
  • The argument that "people will do bad things if DJI doesn't protect us all" doesn't hold water
  • Laws and regulations exist- the individual chooses to obey or violate them. We don't allow automobile, boat, or (manned) aircraft manufacturers to enforce restrictions on those products as to where and how they are used. The onus is on the operator to use them safely and lawfully.
  • The "buyer beware" / "you should have researched it" argument doesn't preclude voicing one's opinion on whether the policy is appropriate or not. I've been in this game since the early days, and have watched DJI and a couple other semi-major (mostly toy) manufacturers go farther and farther down this path, presumably to curry favor with US and other regulatory agencies. I didn't like it when I saw it starting, and I liked it less when the FAA came up with a certification process and DJI failed to adjust their NFZ algorithm to allow part 107 pilots more autonomy. Same thing with LAANC. These are government regulations, policies, and mechanisms designed to allow safe and lawful use of the NAS by those that have shown their capability and desire to do so. DJI simply has no place getting in the way there.
  • There are other rotary wing sUAS options, but due to a number of factors, DJI is the Microsoft of that sUAS space. Many of us buy DJI because on a lot of levels their platform is the best. The fact is, their NFZ/geofencing policy increasingly sucks. So we're complaining. That's what dissatisfied customers do, in the hopes that something might change. Granted that's a long shot given the level of attention this forum gets from anyone with real power, but even given that there is some value in documenting the issue for all who care to pay attention.

Just wondering- of those that accept/embrace DJI's NFZ efforts (not limited to those I addressed in this response), how many are flying for fun, vs. to get a job done?
2019-4-10
Use props
Tree Wolf
lvl.4
Flight distance : 451119 ft
United States

You should learn to comprehend what others post before stating your negative posts as truth, and take your meds before posting.

I Never said anything about acceptance, just made a suggestion.  
Personally I fly for work and occasional fun.  
wadf
2019-4-11
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Tree Wolf Posted at 4-11 19:29
You should learn to comprehend what others post before stating your negative posts as truth, and take your meds before posting.

I Never said anything about acceptance, just made a suggestion.  

@ Tree Wolf-

No need to be so hostile. Apologies if I misinterpreted your post or misrepresented your opinion- you offered workarounds and advice for dealing with the diificulties caused by DJI's nanny-approach to NFZ's and I took that to mean you were OK with it.

You've made it clear that's not the case. My error, no offense was intended.

As for "stating my negative posts as truth" I'm not sure what else I said that you might be reffering to.
2019-4-11
Use props
djiuser_ntmDPF2X2WOM
lvl.1
United States

Why cant I fly with full permissions?  The airport, kittyhawl, everything is set bu you wont let me fly... why?
2020-12-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules