Strange Gimbal Behaviour in Cross Wind
576 4 2019-4-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bruce Lythe
lvl.2
Flight distance : 25151 ft
United Kingdom

Sorry newbie question. I was flying twice today in winds and the gimbal seemed to lock at a strange angle. I was flying fast in wind - not in sports mode. Stopping and restarting corrected it. Any ideas??

Is there a safety mode where the gimbal just locks at a false horizon position?

It looked as though the horizon had stuck at perhaps 30 degrees from true. I guess the drone was down on the side from which the wind was blowing....and the gimbol stopped trying to compensate.... Or had it reached a hard physical limit?

It travels freely now so think this was software or a hard physical stop because of extreme leaning into wind. It corrected itself when I halted drone in mid air.

It seems to be reproducible in high wind.  It is definitely a high wind problem and I did get high wind warnings. It seems fine outside of high cross winds.....

Any help much appreciated. Is this a PROBLEM or is the MA parking the gimbal temporarily because of the cross wind (a FEATURE) ???

https://app.airdata.com/share/ClZsmJ

https://youtu.be/S3Crtc_LnKs
2019-4-16
Use props
Grumpy D
First Officer
Flight distance : 18245 ft
United States

What was the wind speed and gust speed at altitude (not ground speeds)?
2019-4-16
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, we're sorry to know about this situation. I would recommend re-calibrating the gimbal, compass, and IMU of your aircraft to see if there will be changes. May we if you've managed to test the aircraft at low altitude and without a strong wind? We would recommend flying the drone in a recommended environment to prevent the incident. For the additional information, the Mavic Air can withstand wind speeds up to 10 m/s. Please keep us posted on the latest progress. Thank you for continued support.
2019-4-16
Use props
Bruce Lythe
lvl.2
Flight distance : 25151 ft
United Kingdom

I am not sure of the wind speed at altitude but it probably exceeded 22.4 mph (10m/s)! I guess we were into 20.5 on the ground and I am sure it was more at 30m up.  

Is this expected or abnormal behaviour?
2019-4-17
Use props
cjr888
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3686988 ft
  • >>>
Czechia

looks like the aircraft roll was too high for gimbal to compensate properly (due to high wind). also you can check whether the gimbal setting is on FPV or Follow mode. If it's in Follow mode, it does everything to keep the horizon leveled. If it's in FPV mode (first person view), it copies every aircraft movement in the similar way as you saw. Purpose of this is usage with FPV goggles where the user has full drone movement experience. You can find those settings in Gimbal sub-menu of DJI GO4 app on your phone.
2019-4-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules