Mavic Air Favoriting 2.4GHz over 5.8GHz
685 6 2019-4-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
circuitbird
lvl.2
United States

I live in 2.4GHz crowded area yet Mavic Air likes to opt for 2.4GHz on close range on auto setting even if channels are being quite busy and in use when in comparison Spark likes to opt for 5.8GHz. Any ideas why Mavic Air favorites 2.4GHz over 5.8GHz?
2019-4-24
Use props
cjr888
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3686988 ft
  • >>>
Czechia

same with my Air. for me, the only way to make it use 5.8 GHz is to select manually but I'm getting very bad range on 5.8 with lots of 'Strong Aircraft Interference' warnings even in the middle of nowhere anyway so I keep it mostly on 2.4 with much better results.
2019-4-25
Use props
circuitbird
lvl.2
United States

Cjr888, thank you for your reply.
2019-4-29
Use props
circuitbird
lvl.2
United States

cjr888 Posted at 4-25 00:20
same with my Air. for me, the only way to make it use 5.8 GHz is to select manually but I'm getting very bad range on 5.8 with lots of 'Strong Aircraft Interference' warnings even in the middle of nowhere anyway so I keep it mostly on 2.4 with much better results.

Cjr888, thank you for your reply.
2019-4-29
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

i dont think the Mavic air actually tries to pick the best Wifi network, i think it just randomly picks a channel in 2.4Ghz band on Auto. whats worse is i noticed a trend recently where on Auto the mavic air likely to pick the most congested channel for some reason, seems stupid..    i never seen my mavic air pick 5.8Ghz in auto...    you have to manually pick a 5.8Ghz channel.    on top of this, i feel like latest update (.560?) has reduced my reliable range a bit...but it also springtime and more greenery on trees and stuff so hard to conclusively say but it feels like my mavic air range is noticeably shorter and less reliably vs a few months ago...

as for what gives better range... really depends, technically 5.8Ghz has higher gain vs 2.4Ghz. and also less congested band not used for too many things, yet ...  for me 5.8Ghz in both rural and urban give me more reach vs 2.4Ghz, but i also seen inverse, where for some people 2.4Ghz works better in rural.. and toss up for 2.4 and 5.8 in urban..     really comes down to your own testing, both of these bands are in microwave level, so both will act very similar to environment and so mostly down to interference..
2019-4-29
Use props
circuitbird
lvl.2
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 4-29 10:11
i dont think the Mavic air actually tries to pick the best Wifi network, i think it just randomly picks a channel in 2.4Ghz band on Auto. whats worse is i noticed a trend recently where on Auto the mavic air likely to pick the most congested channel for some reason, seems stupid..    i never seen my mavic air pick 5.8Ghz in auto...    you have to manually pick a 5.8Ghz channel.    on top of this, i feel like latest update (.560?) has reduced my reliable range a bit...but it also springtime and more greenery on trees and stuff so hard to conclusively say but it feels like my mavic air range is noticeably shorter and less reliably vs a few months ago...

as for what gives better range... really depends, technically 5.8Ghz has higher gain vs 2.4Ghz. and also less congested band not used for too many things, yet ...  for me 5.8Ghz in both rural and urban give me more reach vs 2.4Ghz, but i also seen inverse, where for some people 2.4Ghz works better in rural.. and toss up for 2.4 and 5.8 in urban..     really comes down to your own testing, both of these bands are in microwave level, so both will act very similar to environment and so mostly down to interference..

HereForTheBeer, thanks for your reply.
2019-4-29
Use props
twilight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2113606 ft
Romania

I see much better results in 2.4ghz in all areas.

In Europe, my Mavic Air choses 5.8 by default in Auto mode. But the range is very limited versus 2.4 ghz from my point of view.

In other words, the "range" depends from day to day, even using the same channel. I once flied my mavic air and another dji phantom 4 witch uses occusync and my mavic air had much better results, with the phantom keep telling that signal is low and having the image black.
2019-4-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules