Jedi mode to controller mode error.
473 2 2019-4-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BatStryker
lvl.2
Flight distance : 338812 ft
United States

So, I'm using hand control mode on a bridge in the Venice CA canals with my daughter to get some fun close up shots f us on the bridge. Everything is going great and we're getting some nice shots, (attached) while the drone is over the water and responding to my hand gestures,Then, all of a sudden, the drone stops responding to my hand gestures and just hovers there over the canal. I try everything with my body to get the drone's attention back. Nothing works. Anticipating something like this might just happen, I had the foresight to have the controller in my pocket in the off state.
I turned on the controller, and after a few seconds, it connected with my drone. As soon as it connected and with the sticks centered, it immediately starts to descend towards the water. Of course, I quickly throttled up and the drone responded, but I noted it still wanted to go down with the sticks centered, so, I had to operate it like a racing drone, where the default flight value is to descend. Anyway, I was able to pilot the drone in this fashion to a safe landing area. So, no harm was done, however, I think the expected behavior would have been for the drone to continue to hover in place when the remote control made its connection. Instead, I theorize that it was trying to recalibrate it's position somehow. I did not have the DJI go app connected to the controller, s, I have no telemetry to analyze. Has anyone else ever experienced this sort of behavior?
Thanks

On the canal

On the canal
2019-4-27
Use props
Grumpy D
First Officer
Flight distance : 18245 ft
United States

Take a look at page 25 in the manual and see if that helps.
2019-4-28
Use props
BatStryker
lvl.2
Flight distance : 338812 ft
United States

Grumpy D Posted at 4-28 05:43
Take a look at page 25 in the manual and see if that helps.

I think you must mean page 22? I was in Smart Capture mode and had used gesture control to take off. So, there was no controller input except my hand, until I "broke in" with the controller in order to regain control of the aircraft. The manual doesn't seem to say anything about doing that! Of course, you CAN use Smart Capture with the controller on from the start, and take off with the controller and THEN switch to Smart Capture. I might just do that from now on, especially when the aircraft is over water as it was during this event.  I do like using smart capture without the controller since it is convenient, fun, and impressive for friends to see me take off with just my hand. And as you can see from the image, The Venice Canal is one of my favorite background subjects, Here is a fun shot on YouTube.  https://youtu.be/UlZPAuAVybk  FYI that was a Tap Fly project.
2019-4-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules