Jagged, jittery thin lines
888 9 2019-5-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans80e5b663
lvl.1
Flight distance : 732789 ft
Sweden

No matter if I use Full FOV or HQ mode, Log or Normal, or however I fiddle around with settings, many shots are plagued by the appearance of jitter in areas with thin lines... Similar to the jagged edges in slow motion footage in other cameras... I always follow the 180 degree rule and keep my aperture around 4-5 with the help of  ND-filters... Is there some principle technique I am missing...? I don't think I've seen it in other people's Mavic 2 videos... Is there a fix in some future update or how would I go about fixing this in post (I use Davinci Resolve Studio)..  Best regards, Michael in Sweden
2019-5-11
Use props
Gildo!
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1736686 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I use a gaussian blur to get rid of those lines...
2019-5-11
Use props
fans80e5b663
lvl.1
Sweden

Gildo! Posted at 5-11 02:40
I use a gaussian blur to get rid of those lines...

Thanks for the tip, I'll try that and isolate the effect to the problem area with a power window...
2019-5-11
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Michael. I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for the information you have shared with us. With regards to this matter is it  possible for you to provide some video sample that includes the issue for better visualization. Thank you.
2019-5-11
Use props
fans80e5b663
lvl.1
Sweden

DJI Stephen Posted at 5-11 11:35
Hello and good day Michael. I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for the information you have shared with us. With regards to this matter is it  possible for you to provide some video sample that includes the issue for better visualization. Thank you.

I will try to find time to do this in coming days... But this must be a known issue, it seems to happen with thin straight lines in the far distance, like power lines and tree stems, that seem to move slightly in a jittery/flickering way as the camera moves... Almost like aliasing artifacts where the edges look jagged when they are far away... I'll post some examples soon, thanks for your reply...
2019-5-11
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

fans80e5b663 Posted at 5-11 23:32
I will try to find time to do this in coming days... But this must be a known issue, it seems to happen with thin straight lines in the far distance, like power lines and tree stems, that seem to move slightly in a jittery/flickering way as the camera moves... Almost like aliasing artifacts where the edges look jagged when they are far away... I'll post some examples soon, thanks for your reply...

Thank you for the information given Michael. Please keep us posted on the said issue for us to be able to help you further. Have a safe and happy flying always.
2019-5-13
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

What frame rate are you using? MVP1 owners report that problem when shooting at 60FPS, not sure that's still an issue in the MVP2 line.
2019-5-13
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
United Kingdom

Without the pics to evaluate, speculation on the cause is pointless.
We want to help, but aren't mind readers.
2019-5-13
Use props
fans80e5b663
lvl.1
Sweden

Hi again, I have been completely swamped at work, but here is a short example of the issue in question... Link to YouTube below... Forgive the crappy footage, it's just ungraded dlog and a power window highlighting an area with the kind of jitter I am talking about... https://youtu.be/nkEIsoGyR0w
2019-5-14
Use props
Gateway
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1873806 ft
  • >>>
United States

A few things to check

Are you using a fast enough SD card? The video bitrate from the specs is equal to 100Mbps.

Are you shooting at h2.64 or h2.65?

Have you tested other ND filters to keep your frame rate at double the shutter speed or not used a ND filter and when conditions are right get double the frame rate without a ND filter?

2019-5-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules