Cytronix Waterproof Housing
3029 25 2019-5-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
thortschman
lvl.2
Germany

Hey all. There is a water proof housing available for Osmo Pocket. Please don't buy it.... I just bought it and the Osmo can not focus under water. It's just waste of money. Even in normal condition the vision is extremly bad due to uneven wallthickness of the Dome.

DJI, why are you selling such bad products in the official store in Germany? I'm very disappointed!

BR Thortschman

Cytronix Housing.PNG
2019-5-12
Use props
thortschman
lvl.2
Germany

2019-5-12
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

Maybe we are seeing the reason for the hold up with the "DJI" waterproof housing ....
2019-5-12
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Turkey

Sorry to hear the housing didn't work and thanks a lot for the information...
2019-5-12
Use props
DaMa
First Officer
Flight distance : 889662 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Take a look here, #80: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=175126&extra=page%3D1%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D549&page=1
2019-5-12
Use props
DaMa
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Curt1591 Posted at 5-12 02:24
Maybe we are seeing the reason for the hold up with the "DJI" waterproof housing ....

No, the field of vision is flat on dji case, this can't be the reason.
2019-5-12
Use props
cEQtBhqjyKJB
lvl.3
Canada

This might be one of many reasons why we may not (or ever?) see an official DJI waterproof case for a while and also why they are likely (but not confirmed yet) releasing a waterproof action camera.
2019-5-12
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for showing the defect in this product
2019-5-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Not a dji product ?
2019-5-12
Use props
DaMa
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

No, the DJI engineers would not do such a stupid thing. A round dome in front of the lens generates under water - with air in between - a blurred image. Refractive index ... a curved surface leads to the offset of the focal point on the chip.
2019-5-12
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

Is the shot below underwater? Are you in AF-C?
2019-5-14
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

DaMa Posted at 5-12 13:34
No, the DJI engineers would not do such a stupid thing. A round dome in front of the lens generates under water - with air in between - a blurred image. Refractive index ... a curved surface leads to the offset of the focal point on the chip.

Seriously friend, a domed housing creates a blurred image? lol
You mean domes like the ones posted below???

I would kindly like to ask people that obviously have NO CLUE of what they are talking about to stop commenting things using flashy words to sound like an expert... thank you.
I've been shooting all kind of UW cameras since 2002, using domed and flat housings and both work perfectly WHEN designed properly.The GoPro Hero 2 was the only little camera I had to use with a modified flat crystal cover because it wasn't able to focus UW BUT the camera lens cover on the case of the GoPro was domed itself creating this problem. With all modern FLAT lens covers there should be no issues whatsoever.

ps. You NEED AIR between the camera and the dome to focus (still laughing). in addition, 63 degrees FoV is the max. you can go UW without getting a vignette effect. So you need a dome when using wide angle lenses. Here is the OFFICIAL explanation that debungs your 'expert' theory:

One of the most important and often misunderstood features of an underwater camera housing is the lens port. Flat ports were all that were available forunderwater photography from its beginning in 1893 until 1931, when hemisphericaldome ports were first used to correct for the refractive properties of water.

7190P5pMGhL._SL1500_.jpg
nikon.jpg
2019-5-14
Use props
DaMa
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

El Diabolico Posted at 5-14 03:20
Is the shot below underwater? Are you in AF-C?

What do you mean with "below underwater"?
2019-5-14
Use props
DaMa
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

El Diabolico Posted at 5-14 03:22
Seriously friend, a domed housing creates a blurred image? lol
You mean domes like the ones posted below???

If you get a sharp picture with the Cytronix case shown above and the Osmo Pocket, you're my hero! And yes, you have also correctly recognized "... WHEN designed properly ..." How do you get the Osmo Pocket in such a housing, as you have shown? You're shooting sparrows with cannons... Everything correct what you have written, only the forum ... I'm looking forward to the DJI case, also because it has a "straight view" ...
2019-5-14
Use props
thortschman
lvl.2
Cyprus

However I don't know the physics for the lens. What I recognized in videomode and photomode the osmo couldn't focus underwater.
That the housing is trash is already visible in air. Image totally distorted but sharp in air.
I let DJI know about it and they told me that they stopped selling it in the store in Germany.
Now I'm in vacation with the Osmo for normal shots and my old Gopro for underwater.
Luckily I tested the Case upfont. I was thinking about leaving the Gopro at home.
2019-5-14
Use props
BeterBan
lvl.4
Austria

Underwater housing fetishists whine and cry, if you really need an underwater housing,
there are many good actioncams with housing or without - for LOW price!

Same with audio adapter - for HALF adapterprice you get a STEREO voice recorder.

Sometimes I think this forum is made up of people
who know everything better than DJI or even don't think
about a suitable solution.
Scolding, ranting, that's the favorite thing to do ...

2019-5-14
Use props
WayneMHK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 694728 ft
  • >>>
United States

BeterBan Posted at 5-14 09:17
Underwater housing fetishists whine and cry, if you really need an underwater housing,
there are many good actioncams with housing or without - for LOW price!

"there are many good actioncams with housing or without - for LOW price!"

If you have a link to an underwater one with a 3-axis gimbal, please post.

And thanks for your scolding and ranting.  
2019-5-14
Use props
Hurley1718
First Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for sharing your experience and taking one for the team.
2019-5-14
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

DaMa Posted at 5-14 05:56
If you get a sharp picture with the Cytronix case shown above and the Osmo Pocket, you're my hero! And yes, you have also correctly recognized "... WHEN designed properly ..." How do you get the Osmo Pocket in such a housing, as you have shown? You're shooting sparrows with cannons... Everything correct what you have written, only the forum ... I'm looking forward to the DJI case, also because it has a "straight view" ...

Don't distort what I said, I am replying to your silly comment on domes creating blurry images not the fact that the Cytronix case is rubbish... at no point you mentioned specifically the Cytronix case. Don't play with our perception. Check the UW case for the Insta 360, it is very similar to the Cytronix so a domed case works.

I am quoting you:

'No, the DJI engineers would not do such a stupid thing. A round dome in front of the lens generates under water - with air in between - a blurred image. (WRONG as described in my previous comment). Refractive index ... a curved surface leads to the offset of the focal point on the chip' (Lol Obviously you made this up because it sounds cool but WRONG again).'

DJI has opted for a flat cover because probably the FoV on the OP doesn't create any vignetting effect. We might see from 3d party manufacturers go for a domed solution, it is irrelevant.

I would suggest you leave it here not to further expose your 'expert' approach.

Insta360.png
2019-5-15
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

WayneMHK Posted at 5-14 11:29
"there are many good actioncams with housing or without - for LOW price!"

If you have a link to an underwater one with a 3-axis gimbal, please post.

Don't mind this guy, he is running his little business within the forum try to sell cheap Chinese knock-offs and criticizing any product that costs more than 3$... the question is: why did he bought an Osmo Pocket and not one of those camera he is referring to...?
2019-5-15
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

DaMa Posted at 5-14 05:41
What do you mean with "below underwater"?

Is the shot he posted below his comment underwater,? like in a bath tub or something.

Some cameras have trouble with the minimum focusing distance UW and I am also wondering if the AF-C mode is having trouble finding enough contrast in order to work due to the obvious lack of light.
2019-5-15
Use props
thortschman
lvl.2
Cyprus

El Diabolico Posted at 5-15 01:24
Is the shot he posted below his comment underwater,? like in a bath tub or something.

Some cameras have trouble with the minimum focusing distance UW and I am also wondering if the AF-C mode is having trouble finding enough contrast in order to work due to the obvious lack of light.

Yes it is underwater in the bathtube. Osmo was set to afc and it was quite good lightcondition. Of course not sunlight, but i wouldn't describe it as low light.
I will leave the point open if I did everything right and tried everything to achive focus underwater. As the housing completly distorted the shots in air. As this is already a fact, I don't care if i can get somehow focus under water.
2019-5-15
Use props
thortschman
lvl.2
Cyprus

Is there an Admin who can delete the product picture of my very first post? Who can I contact?
2019-5-15
Use props
DaMa
First Officer
  • >>>
Germany

El Diabolico Posted at 5-15 01:01
Don't distort what I said, I am replying to your silly comment on domes creating blurry images not the fact that the Cytronix case is rubbish... at no point you mentioned specifically the Cytronix case. Don't play with our perception. Check the UW case for the Insta 360, it is very similar to the Cytronix so a domed case works.

"DJI has opted for a flat cover because probably the FoV on the OP doesn't create any vignetting effect."

Then we have it now, for whatever reason. I'm in the Osmo Pocket Forum, but you're in a different league. Have you seen my picture? And sorry, I thought you mean my picture with "...below underwater".
Don't be angry, I just believe that a round glass will not work and certainly not in the size of a thimble..
2019-5-15
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

thortschman Posted at 5-15 02:02
Yes it is underwater in the bathtube. Osmo was set to afc and it was quite good lightcondition. Of course not sunlight, but i wouldn't describe it as low light.
I will leave the point open if I did everything right and tried everything to achive focus underwater. As the housing completly distorted the shots in air. As this is already a fact, I don't care if i can get somehow focus under water.

I understand, sorry to hear that the only alternative to the official case isn't working...
Let's hope that DJI release the UW case soon
2019-5-15
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

DaMa Posted at 5-15 07:00
"DJI has opted for a flat cover because probably the FoV on the OP doesn't create any vignetting effect."

Then we have it now, for whatever reason. I'm in the Osmo Pocket Forum, but you're in a different league. Have you seen my picture? And sorry, I thought you mean my picture with "...below underwater".

A domed glass works with any type of camera. The OP has a quite narrow FoV therefore DJI UW case might get away with it with a flat case cover.

When designing a flat port with a wide angle lens you have 2 options, either to make it quite larger than the lens and bring it very close to it (ex. GoPro), either to make it domed and bigger. One advantage of domed ports is that you can shoot pictures 1/2 underwater & 1/2 in the surface, something that is very difficult to achieve with a flat cover.

In any case, the biggest disadvantage of the OP no matter what case we get at the end is that using / changing  a ND filter is going to be practically impossible UW. Perhaps the new Osmo Action is the better choice afterwards... on the other hand EIS doesn't work very well in low light so we will see.

2019-5-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules