Audio processing for the Pocket's internal mic, A/B example.
869 11 2019-5-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Hi.

I posted a video a few weeks back demonstrating just how good the Pocket's internal mics can sound with some post processing. I'm just expanding the edit with extra material for a video for my YouTube channel.

Here is a short clip which is the part of my the that gives a before and after example of how I process the audio.

For anyone who's interested, I select the right channel of the audio, centre the channel, EQ and then limit. My opinion of the result is that it proves that the internal mic system records a lot of information that lends itself to a fair amount of post procesing that can produce excellent results. In fact, I'd say that with post processing the Pocket's internal mic audio is the best quality that I've heard from any similar small device.

Once I've completed the full video I'll re-post it back on the forum. If the final video gets any interest on YouTube I'll do a full guide and tutorial about the whole process, which may be of use to Pocket owners here on the forum who have an interest in such things.

The first video below is the example and the second is the bulk of the dialogue examples for the final video.

Cheers,
Dave.

2019-5-13
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Dave. Thank you for posting and sharing these sample and demo video you have created. Nicely done and thank you for supporting DJI.
2019-5-13
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Here's a tool which processes speech for maximum clarity and volume.  Note that although all you have to do is to drag and drop the source audio file onto the program's little interface, the audio has to be in .wav or .aiff format first, so you'll need to be familiar with peeling off the audio from your video, converting the format to one of those, then after processing you'll need to re-integrate it with the video.  The chief plus point about the program is that it has no settings.  It just works as-is.  Here's the link, from which I just downloaded and installed the last released version, and it doesn't seem to have done anything drastic to my PC....

http://conversationsnetwork.org/levelator
2019-5-13
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Hi Dave, thanks for the comparison test, I myself prefer the non edited sound, it just like if I am standing 2 meters away from you, feel more real life, Of course the edited sound is loud, clean and clear.
2019-5-14
Use props
Udo13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 257188 ft
Germany

Rr try it with this program.

2019-5-14
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

fansfe82067d Posted at 5-13 23:43
Here's a tool which processes speech for maximum clarity and volume.  Note that although all you have to do is to drag and drop the source audio file onto the program's little interface, the audio has to be in .wav or .aiff format first, so you'll need to be familiar with peeling off the audio from your video, converting the format to one of those, then after processing you'll need to re-integrate it with the video.  The chief plus point about the program is that it has no settings.  It just works as-is.  Here's the link, from which I just downloaded and installed the last released version, and it doesn't seem to have done anything drastic to my PC....

http://conversationsnetwork.org/levelator

Hi.

Thanks for the link, it may be useful for people with no audio post experience or those who don't want the extra hassle and time working manually in post.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-5-14
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Oh-no Posted at 5-14 00:06
Hi Dave, thanks for the comparison test, I myself prefer the non edited sound, it just like if I am standing 2 meters away from you, feel more real life, Of course the edited sound is loud, clean and clear.

Hi.

Yes, you can't argue with personal preference

I personally prefer the processed version for a number of reasons, not least of all because the original has certain technical issues that are gotten rid of with the processed version.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-5-14
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

David_Harry Posted at 5-14 01:02
Hi.

Yes, you can't argue with personal preference

Understood.

If I found my future recording level is too low or found any technical issue, I will do some processing work too :-)

What I mean is, if I want the recording sound with distant feel, I will keep the original track. If I want a louder and stable level such as a "voice presentation for the video" (I do not know the correct English word for it) , I will use a wired clip on mic. If something goes wrong at above mentioned conditions, then I have no choice but process it with software to make it better.
2019-5-14
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Udo13 Posted at 5-14 00:45
Rr try it with this program.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HC3FHNT08M

Hi Udo.

I already use Edius, do you not remember me mentioning this to you in the past as I was surprised that there was another Edius user on the forum.

The problem with such loudness function in Edius or anything else, is that it is all but useless for creating content for the web. The reason for the use of such things is to adhere to certain loudness standards, EBU types etc. These are for outputs such as TV etc. Where you're levels will fail if they don't adhere to preset guides and standards set by the broadcaster. I have a lot of experience of such things.

The problem with YouTube etc. Is that there are no standards, so employing standards set by TV broadcasters may even put you at a disadvantage when creating content for YouTube.

YouTube is the Wild West of content loudness and with a complete lack of standards. The big is issue is that you get people who simply slam their audio into compressors and limiters and get the sound as loud as possible, usually in the process they squeeze all the dynamics and headroom out of their audio. Unfortunately, end users tend to think that louder is better, hence the creators who just go stupid loud. The idea is to compete with this type of stuff but without destroying or compromising your own productions too much.

Plus, that particular function you are pointing isn't what I'm doing in the example. In the example I'm manually panning, EQ-ing and applying dynamics processing. This isn't what that Edius function does.

BTW and just in case it helps, although I'm not an editor I have a very extensive understanding of Edius. I used to co-own a small indie film production company and I worked very closely with the European head of marketing for GV at the time as he and GV supported two of our feature films. I've also helped demonstrate and train on Edius and have had some of my practicals used back in Kobe.

Cheers,
Dave.

2019-5-14
Use props
Udo13
Second Officer
Germany

David_Harry Posted at 5-14 01:24
Hi Udo.

I already use Edius, do you not remember me mentioning this to you in the past as I was surprised that there was another Edius user on the forum.

Yes Dave, I know that you are very well versed with Edius, much better than I.
I just happened to remember the simple audio editing in edius.I am very interested in your tutorial.

I am very interested on the full guide and tutorial about the whole process. Thanks for your intensiv work.
2019-5-14
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Udo13 Posted at 5-14 03:23
Yes Dave, I know that you are very well versed with Edius, much better than I.
I just happened to remember the simple audio editing in edius.I am very interested in your tutorial.

Hi Udo.

Nearly all of the dialogue and audio mixing that I do for my YouTube videos is all done in Edius, as was these videos. Although Edius isn't that great on the audio side, with a few extra VST plugins Edius is fine for the simple stuff that I do for the YouTube stuff. Any videos where I'm doing a proper empirical mic quality test never has any EQ or dynamics as this would then change the natural tone of the mic and wouldn't be true, I only re-level those types of videos.

For any complex mixing I use a dedicated DAW.

I'll try and do a quick Edius walk through of what I've done for these videos here.

Cheers,
dave.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-5-14
Use props
Udo13
Second Officer
Germany

Mandy thanks Dave
2019-5-14