Battery failure, (in flight)
2067 16 2019-5-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Locohog
lvl.1
Flight distance : 14800 ft
United States

Had a battery failure while hovering, at a distance of 322.5 feet and a height of 110.2 feet. Did locate my undamaged Mavic Pro.  Now, the battery will not charge and will not power up the drone.  It does have three solid green lights and the fourth, blinking, which is probably normal usage of the 3:01 flight.  Anyone else ever had an inflight battery failure?
2019-5-20
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Following, this would be scary while flying out on a mission and the battery would just fail and go down unexpectedly.
2019-5-20
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 5-20 18:10
Never had a complete shutdown (as in, poof battery turns off) but I have had batteries that appear normal suddenly drop to 0%, or be unable to supply adequate power for the current flight demand so the battery display will turn red even though there might be 60-70% showing.  In the latter case backing off the throttle allowed things to settle.  In the former case she auto-landed.  All these cases involved older batteries with lots of cycles.

Did your bird land itself of just power off mid-flight?

I've had a couple the same as Dirty Bird. Goes from 60% to 0%, then initiates auto land and lands immediately. Never had a shutdown and crash midflight.
2019-5-20
Use props
Locohog
lvl.1
United States

It was a crash.  The flight log end abruptly with no errors showing.  Have had the bird 15 months, with absolutely zero issues.  It makes me not want to fly anymore.  
2019-5-20
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

Dirty Bird Posted at 5-20 18:10
Never had a complete shutdown (as in, poof battery turns off) but I have had batteries that appear normal suddenly drop to 0%, or be unable to supply adequate power for the current flight demand so the battery display will turn red even though there might be 60-70% showing.  In the latter case backing off the throttle allowed things to settle.  In the former case she auto-landed.  All these cases involved older batteries with lots of cycles.

Did your bird land itself of just power off mid-flight?

I remember viewing some of your epic long distance flights a while back, Dirty Bird, where you flew with others over water and city. I am often tempted to 'have a go' myself, but instead, I run your vids again. Do you know what? While watching your vids from the comfort and safety of my arm chair, I have never once had an issue with my own drone. Ha ha
Keep up your great work, and show us some more drama. An in flight battery failure might be just the edge of the seat thrill us softies would love to watch.
2019-5-21
Use props
Locohog
lvl.1
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 5-20 23:01
It is possible the battery wasn't fully seated, or perhaps it bulged & unseated itself.  How does the battery look after the crash?  Does it appear swollen?

The battery won’t charge or power up the Mavic.  It still shows 75% power,(according to the green lights), but will not power the drone.
2019-5-21
Use props
elberti
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3985561 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

And would you explain more in detail what had happened?
2019-5-21
Use props
Locohog
lvl.1
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 5-21 08:49
Looks like it may be a defective battery.  Glad your Mavic 2 came out of it unscathed.  Hopefully the battery is within the 6 month warranty period.

No way it’s still under warranty. BYW, what is the life of the battery, and when should they be disposed?
2019-5-21
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, we're sorry to know about the problem. I would recommend checking the battery pins and compartment of your drone. Do we have a chance to use another battery to isolate the problem? However, if the drone has damage, I would recommend syncing your flight records and contact our support via the link below. For additional information, the warranty would depend on the outcome of the damage assessment and the warranty of your DJI Products. Please keep us posted on the latest progress. Thank you for your support.

www.dji.com/support
2019-5-21
Use props
ro_flyer
First Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

This is scary!!!!!!!!
2019-5-21
Use props
Warriewoodlad
Second Officer
Flight distance : 625230 ft
Australia

It is scary. I had a battery fall out of a Bugs 2W once, fortunately over a lake. I lost the drone but it didn't fall on somebody. Ever since I have been extremely careful not to fly near or over people.
2019-5-21
Use props
Locohog
lvl.1
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 5-21 10:36
Hi, we're sorry to know about the problem. I would recommend checking the battery pins and compartment of your drone. Do we have a chance to use another battery to isolate the problem? However, if the drone has damage, I would recommend syncing your flight records and contact our support via the link below. For additional information, the warranty would depend on the outcome of the damage assessment and the warranty of your DJI Products. Please keep us posted on the latest progress. Thank you for your support.

www.dji.com/support

The other battery I have works fine in the Mavic. No problems.  Since the battery that failed is no good to me, can I send it to you,(DJI), for assessment?
2019-5-21
Use props
DH_Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3301621 ft
  • >>>
Slovakia

Locohog Posted at 5-21 20:44
The other battery I have works fine in the Mavic. No problems.  Since the battery that failed is no good to me, can I send it to you,(DJI), for assessment?

Definitely send it in for warranty replacement.
2019-5-22
Use props
TZero
lvl.4
Flight distance : 547618 ft
Brazil

My idea was to take flight to an altitude of 300ft without moving horizontally. (this was my luck)
Look what happened.

2019-5-22
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Locohog Posted at 5-21 20:44

Hi, thanks for the prompt reply. We're glad that you've managed to isolate the problem by using different batteries. You may reach our support via the link below for further assistance with this specific battery. However, it's not recommended to ship the battery that has physical damage. Thank you for understanding.

www.dji.com/support
2019-5-23
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

Dirty Bird Posted at 5-21 02:34
Lol, thanks Alan.  Here ya go...Vision+ did the "60-0%" thing 4000' out over water!

(Details are in the video description.)

Thank you for taking the trouble to show me this video, Dirty Bird. As usual, it was entertaining.
2019-5-23
Use props
TZero
lvl.4
Flight distance : 547618 ft
Brazil

Dirty Bird Posted at 5-23 14:14
70% to 0% in 2 seconds.  Did you make it all the way down safely?  (On my phone can't see the numbers clearly)

Luckily he was hovering just above me.
I edited the video for the numbers to look bigger.
2019-5-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules