Best carrying option for this situation?
1384 12 2015-6-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lightpanther
lvl.3

United States

So I intend to film with the Phantom in a situation that will involve doing a shot here, landing, 2 min walk, doing a shot there, landing, 3-4 minute walk, doing a shot...rinse and repeat about 20 times.

I'm not being naughty in that it's not dangerous or a no fly zone or anything. However, neither do I particularly wish to draw more attention to myself than I have to. I do have a DJI backpack, but that would involve screwing and unscrewing the props 20 times, which would be a serious inconvenience. But neither do I want to walk around with the Phantom in my open hand, or waste precious battery time flying from one locale to the next.

Any suggestions? I do not have any of the cases at the moment, so I was wondering if anyone had hit upon a more low tech (but workable) solution.

2015-6-7
Use props
Rob88
lvl.3

Canada

There are a number of options, both hard-shell and soft.  Mike Singer has a fairly comprehensive list on his website . . . PhantomHelp
2015-6-7
Use props
lightpanther
lvl.3

United States

Rob88 Posted at 2015-6-8 10:48
There are a number of options, both hard-shell and soft.  Mike Singer has a fairly comprehensive lis ...

Yes, I saw those and don't get me wrong, there are some great cases there, but

a) they are kind of expensive, and

b) most of them still give me the aspect of being about to deploy a tactical nuke.
2015-6-7
Use props
Rob88
lvl.3

Canada

If cost is an issue, try this . . . http://forum.dji.com/thread-16579-1-1.html

2015-6-7
Use props
lightpanther
lvl.3

United States

Interesting. Except it'd need to keep the props on. That's what I'm already doing (without the outer case) when I go a short trip by car,
2015-6-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Hi  lightpanther,
This is what I have on order...
http://store.lowepro.com/droneguard-kit
I might be something you could consider...

Happy flying Your Phantom. ;-)

RedHotPoker

2015-6-7
Use props
TomTerrific
lvl.1

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-6-8 14:18
Hi  lightpanther,

RHP, I've been looking at that quad carrier too.  I'll be interested to read your review of it once you put it through its paces.

2015-6-8
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-6-8 14:18
Hi  lightpanther,

Now you're talking! I kind of like that idea also. It's not outrageously expensive, it looks like it has options and looks like it can carry everything including a couple of extra batteries. I too like the fact the props can stay on.
2015-6-8
Use props
lightpanther
lvl.3

United States

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-6-8 21:18
Now you're talking! I kind of like that idea also. It's not outrageously expensive, it looks like  ...

It's not bad, convenience wise, but not exactly stealth either...
2015-6-8
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

lightpanther Posted at 2015-6-9 02:08
It's not bad, convenience wise, but not exactly stealth either...

Yes, not stealthy, but, when you're out there by the waterfall, the river, the cliff, whatever, and you open a big plastic box and take out something with propellers on it, the stealth part is history!

I guess I like the fact it can carry the Phantom with props attached - looks like you need to exercise a minimum of caution lugging that thing around - carry extra batteries, etc. I was using my original box for a while, but I added one of those "camera protector" gadgets on the bottom. Now, unless I cut some of the styrofoam out of the box, it won't go down into the "slots." Oh well. I figure that thin cardboard isn't going to last very long anyway.
2015-6-8
Use props
lightpanther
lvl.3

United States

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-6-9 06:17
Yes, not stealthy, but, when you're out there by the waterfall, the river, the cliff, whatever, an ...

It seems that no one has designed the "ideal" backpack yet.

Some of them are trying to fit in too much, which is bulking them WAY up. I can see the pressure driving that, but a slimmed down version would also be useful. I don't have five batteries to carry, and I don't anticipate having five any time in the near future.

Some of these backpacks are coming out looking like you have a suitcase strapped to your spine. Being able to keep the props on is not an insignificant convenience...especially if you are stopping and starting often. True, if you are hiking to the top of a hill and then doing one long flight, it doesn't matter so much.

Also, with the hard cases, I'd prefer not to look as if I'm setting up in a public place for some kind of biological warfare attack.
2015-6-8
Use props
jon.mcclay
lvl.1

United States

This is the case I bought:

Micro Raptor Phantom 3 Backpack

There are a few videos on youtube about it. Looks like a great option and is the perfect size for a carry-on for US flights. My only disappointment is that one youtube reviewer let me know there isn't enough room for a 15" laptop, but that's ok.

If you don't mind waiting, this is the backpack for you:
GoProfessionalCases P3 Backpack
This guy holds everything and a 15" laptop...but they don't have a release date...
2015-6-9
Use props
lightpanther
lvl.3

United States

jon.mcclay@gmai Posted at 2015-6-9 23:59
This is the case I bought:

Micro Raptor Phantom 3 Backpack

I like it. Alas, their black option is sold out and they only have that hideous tan color.
2015-6-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules