Must needed function for Osmo Pocket! Please DJI
3374 25 2019-6-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tide
First Officer
United States

I have made almost 30 short videos with Osmo Pocket for 7 month since it is released.
I enjoy using it and find many tricks to improve the Pocket's workflow.

However using it for every day and every week, I find some critical short comings of this device that chain down much more possiblities.

1. ISO range limit option.
    Please DJI update the ISO range limit option to Osmo Pocket's Pro mode.

Osmo Action already has this option and it would not require extra processing power from the APU to add it.
    In night scene or dark indoor scene, I like to limit auto ISO range to 100~800 as 1600~3200 introduce unrecoverable noise.
    ISO 100~1600 might work in some cases but ISO 3200 is not prefererable unless I have to capture an evidence or something.
    This simple function can greatly improve the video production quality and workflows.
    Please DJI. Please!

2. Full gimbal lock mode.
    This function is already exist in control wheel accessary's button as a hold down UI.

Please make this functin accessable from Mimo app or Pocket's menu.
    I am using Pocket a lot by attaching it to the end of monopod to capture the scene from the high above.
    While moving forward like this, I love to enable the full gimbal lock mode but I cannot access control wheel in this state.
    If it has to be a button hold down to execute to prevent long period of usage, add hold down button on Mimo app.
    Please DJI.

These functions are not new to develop but to add a menu to access it.
I love to see these functions in next firmware update.

Thank you and keep up the good work!

2019-6-14
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Tide. Hello and good day.  Thank you for reaching out and for the information you have shared with us today. Let me please forward this information/thread to the designated DJI department. After the evaluation of the engineers, significant suggestions or requests will be implemented via the firmware update, app update, etc. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news in our DJI official website at www.dji.com or by checking the Release Notes specific for your product. Thank you for your valued support.
2019-6-14
Use props
Pyroschnüffler
Second Officer
Germany

I Love the Iso range on the Osmo Action. For Nonprofi perfekt
2019-6-14
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

DJI Stephen Posted at 6-14 07:41
Hello and good day Tide. Hello and good day.  Thank you for reaching out and for the information you have shared with us today. Let me please forward this information/thread to the designated DJI department. After the evaluation of the engineers, significant suggestions or requests will be implemented via the firmware update, app update, etc. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news in our DJI official website at www.dji.com or by checking the Release Notes specific for your product. Thank you for your valued support.
Thanks Stephen for swift reply.
Hope the engineers find it worth while.
2019-6-14
Use props
Neo Supreme
Second Officer
Flight distance : 76329 ft
United States

Good to know.  I only did a few test recordings so far.
2019-6-14
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Tide Posted at 6-14 08:11
Thanks Stephen for swift reply.
Hope the engineers find it worth while.

You are very much welcome Tide. Have a safe and happy filming always.
2019-6-14
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

I hate to agree with you as it will mean more swipes left, right, up, down, whatever
but it's a from me.
2019-6-14
Use props
PenguinWhale
lvl.1
New Zealand

Being able to choose longer (more than 8 secs) exposure times would be nice. It'd help with night time photography
2019-6-14
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Good heavens, someone else who knows how to apply full lock!  I'm pretty sure I requested adding this to the app some time back - hopefully they are already working on it.  And I also suggested displaying the current ISO value when it auto, which would be useful in addition to your suggestion to have limits available.
2019-6-15
Use props
pieterbatenburg
New
Netherlands

The function I would like to see on the DJI Mimo app is to be able to lock the tilt/pan button to tilt or pan only. I find it very hard to pan horizontally or to tilt vertically only.
2019-6-15
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

pieterbatenburg Posted at 6-15 23:06
The function I would like to see on the DJI Mimo app is to be able to lock the tilt/pan button to tilt or pan only. I find it very hard to pan horizontally or to tilt vertically only.

In the app you can choose whether to have a single control for up/down and left/right, or two separate controls spaced apart.  So what you want is already there.
2019-6-16
Use props
Cool h
lvl.4

Taiwan

Thumbs up for the ISO limitation! Also like to see a speed setting for controling the gimbol movement using MMO app.
2019-6-16
Use props
Soundie
lvl.2
Denmark

Edited: Totally lame question from me hehe, sorry.
(no delete post function in this forum?)
2019-6-17
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
Flight distance : 1209413 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

The ISO range limit option:
For video, osmo pocket auto exposure algorithmis to enlarge shutter speed first.
It increases iso until shutter speed reaches the fps limit. So the max iso is pointless for video quality in osmo pocket case.

For photo, Manual exposure is a better choice.

Full gimbal lock mode, we will collect more feedback and consider it.
2019-6-18
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

DJI-ytao Posted at 6-18 18:15
The ISO range limit option:
For video, osmo pocket auto exposure algorithmis to enlarge shutter speed first.
It increases iso until shutter speed reaches the fps limit. So the max iso is pointless for video quality in osmo pocket case.

Hi Ytao,

Thanks for the consideration.
My needs for the ISO range limitation is when I set manual shutter speed for 180 degree shutter rule.

Since this is not an auto mode and shutter speed is fixed, I need an option to limit ISO range. It is especially useful when I shoot at the indoor convention hall situation.

In indoor convention hall, it is an lowlight situation with variety light setting in each booth. So I need to set 24 frame and 1/50 shutter speed fixed but have ISO auto to compensate the light situation change. However I don’t want the ISO to go upto 1600 and above.

So the ISO range limit function would be very useful for many situation.

2019-6-19
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Tide, if you limit the iso in that way, would you not end up with underexposed footage?  Would that be better than noisy footage?  I'm just interested in how you would deal with the situation.
2019-6-19
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
Flight distance : 1209413 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Tide Posted at 6-19 01:38
Hi Ytao,

Thanks for the consideration.

This will make the video underexposure.

do u mean u prefer low iso than underexposure?
2019-6-19
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

DJI-ytao Posted at 6-19 02:04
This will make the video underexposure.

do u mean u prefer low iso than underexposure?

Yes I find it is better to have an underexposed video and brighten shadows in post editing than have a noisier video and try to denoise in post editing.
(I use Neat Video’s denoiser in premiere pro)

I tried both ways and usually get better result with treating underexposed video.
Ether way, I like to be able to control the situation.
When I want to embrace the noise for denoise later, it is fine by using auto ISO. I can expect the noise can happen.
But if I want to embrace underexposed footage (it is a situation that the most of the scene is well lit and only a little portion will be underexposed when I move from scene to scene) I cannot limit the ISO range and noise is introduced to the footage anyway.

Osmo Pocket has a good lowlight capablity and has a clean image. I find that ISO 3200 is just to much when I try to keep the clean image quality.
2019-6-19
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

fansfe82067d Posted at 6-19 01:59
Tide, if you limit the iso in that way, would you not end up with underexposed footage?  Would that be better than noisy footage?  I'm just interested in how you would deal with the situation.

24frame at 1/50 shutter speed is already slow enough shutter speed to get decent lowlight image.
Up to ISO 800, the footage is very sharpe. However, once the ISO boost up to 1600 or 3200 the sharpness is starting to be lost and cannot be recovered.
If I rather have underexposed but sharpe footage than I can brighten the footage in editing. Cinelike D is especially useful for this trick so I usually shot in Conelike D in lowlight situation.
2019-6-19
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Thanks, I can see what you are aiming for now.  Hopefully DJI will agree.
2019-6-19
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Tide Posted at 6-19 02:54
24frame at 1/50 shutter speed is already slow enough shutter speed to get decent lowlight image.
Up to ISO 800, the footage is very sharpe. However, once the ISO boost up to 1600 or 3200 the sharpness is starting to be lost and cannot be recovered.
If I rather have underexposed but sharpe footage than I can brighten the footage in editing. Cinelike D is especially useful for this trick so I usually shot in Conelike D in lowlight situation.

Yup! And it's useful for indoor concerts and sports where lighting can be uneven but strong enough in the main area of interest.
2019-6-19
Use props
Cool h
lvl.4

Taiwan

Actually even add a limit to the ISO, the shutter speed is still fixed, please add an Auto option to the shutter menu so we can fix the ISO. For the shake of taking highly contract scene, please DJI
2019-6-19
Use props
Udo13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 257188 ft
Germany

Hi Tide, thanks for your Suggestion.
I wish that too.
2019-6-20
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

fansfe82067d Posted at 6-19 03:41
Thanks, I can see what you are aiming for now.  Hopefully DJI will agree.

I hope so too.
2019-6-21
Use props
Philosmo
lvl.1
Germany

ISO Limitation is definitely a must-have!
2020-2-9
Use props
Kajetan
lvl.2
Poland

Yes, we need that options!
2020-2-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules