Ronin-SC and Samsung S8 support
3806 21 2019-7-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Yaromil
lvl.2

Czechia

Hey there,

I was just about to buy new Ronin-SC, but few moments ago I figure out that my Samsung S8 isn't compatible with the Ronin-SC according to documentation, which is strange when even older Samsung phones like S5 and S6 are compatible.

Any word if the support for S8 can be expected with future updates?

Anybody have tried or is using the Ronin-SC with Samsung S8?

Thanks for info!
2019-7-22
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, we're sorry for the inconvenience. We're sorry that the Samsung S8 is not compatible with our Ronin-SC currently and we don't have any information if this would be added to our compatible devices in the future. However, I'd like to consider this as a suggestion and forward it to our designated department for attention. We're hoping that you could get the best feedback that you may need in regards to using this particular device. Thank you for understanding.
2019-7-22
Use props
Yaromil
lvl.2

Czechia

Hi Tony,

thank You very much for the fast response. I believe the Samsung Galaxy S8 phones are still wildly used as it was Samsungs flagship and main iPhone competitor, so it can be for many new users dealbreaker.

Few remarks:

1) I tried to install the Ronin app from Google Play and all seems working fine, but obviously I can't test / connect it with Ronin device as I have none now; can't see any restrictions in the app

2) Google Play says my device (Samsung S8) is compatible with the Ronin App without any notices

Please try to ask Your dev team about the support of Samsung Galaxy S8, it maybe only mistake in compatible devices list? I believe it can discourage many new customers.

Thank You!
2019-7-22
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Yaromil Posted at 7-22 22:44
Hi Tony,

thank You very much for the fast response. I believe the Samsung Galaxy S8 phones are still wildly used as it was Samsungs flagship and main iPhone competitor, so it can be for many new users dealbreaker.

Hi, thanks for the prompt reply. No worries, I've forwarded the concern to our designated department for further check and seek for the information if the Samsung S8 would be compatible with our Ronin app and Ronin-SC in the future. Thank you for understanding.
2019-7-23
Use props
Edward Hore
lvl.1
  • >>>
Australia

Samsung Galaxy Note 9 also doesnt connect. Looks like I am stuck as I only have a Galaxy Note9 and a Galaxy S8...

Any Ideas on an update please?
2019-7-23
Use props
Edward Hore
lvl.1
  • >>>
Australia

Yip, fails on my S8+, My Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Note 8 and my Galaxy Note 3... Me thinks Samsung is out
2019-7-23
Use props
Yaromil
lvl.2

Czechia

Edward Hore Posted at 7-23 21:04
Yip, fails on my S8+, My Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Note 8 and my Galaxy Note 3... Me thinks Samsung is out

Hi Edward, thank You for checking,... but unfortunately that's not good news for us who have Samsung phones :-(. Hope DJI can solve it soon.
2019-7-23
Use props
Yaromil
lvl.2

Czechia

Edward Hore Posted at 7-23 21:04
Yip, fails on my S8+, My Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Note 8 and my Galaxy Note 3... Me thinks Samsung is out

Just checking the compatibility list on their website and at least Your Note 9 should by compatible according this:

Compatible with Samsung Galaxy S9+, Samsung Galaxy S9, Samsung Galaxy S10+, Samsung Note 9, Samsung Galaxy S5, Samsung Galaxy S6 edge, Samsung A9, Google Nexus 6P, Huawei P20 Pro, Huawei P10, Huawei P9, Huawei Mate 20, Huawei Mate10, Huawei Mate 9 Pro, Huawei Nova 3e, Huawei MT7-TL00, Huawei Honor V10, Huawei Honor Magic 2, Vivo X21A, Vivo X27, Vivo NEXS, OPPO Find X, OPPO R15, Xiaomi 8, Xiaomi Max2, Xiaomi Max3, Xiaomi MIX3, Xiaomi MIX2S, LG V20.
2019-7-23
Use props
djiuser_XleVWU2k0R1u
lvl.2
Canada

I've been using my S8+ with my  Osmo Mobile 2 for a year, no issues.  I just ordered the SC, so fingers crossed when it comes in...  but I've already downloaded the Ronin app; install and sign-in were trouble free.

... I'm cautiously optimistic.
2019-7-24
Use props
Yaromil
lvl.2

Czechia

djiuser_XleVWU2k0R1u Posted at 7-24 05:18
I've been using my S8+ with my  Osmo Mobile 2 for a year, no issues.  I just ordered the SC, so fingers crossed when it comes in...  but I've already downloaded the Ronin app; install and sign-in were trouble free.

... I'm cautiously optimistic.

Finger crossed and please let us know if You had luck with the Ronin SC on Your Samsung phone!
2019-7-24
Use props
skyball
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7799 ft
Canada

Samsung S10+ owner here, it's working with my Ronin-SC.
2019-7-25
Use props
XuserJM
lvl.1
Flight distance : 571985 ft
  • >>>
Denmark

I have both a galaxy s8 and s10e. Both of them can perfectly install and use the Ronin-app but the active track mode is acting crappy.  It simply keeps on loosing track. I counter-tested this against an iphone 8 and the experience was quite different. The iphone 8 was rock steady compared to the two others.
2019-7-27
Use props
Yaromil
lvl.2

Czechia

XuserJM Posted at 7-27 13:18
I have both a galaxy s8 and s10e. Both of them can perfectly install and use the Ronin-app but the active track mode is acting crappy.  It simply keeps on loosing track. I counter-tested this against an iphone 8 and the experience was quite different. The iphone 8 was rock steady compared to the two others.

Thanks for posting the info. Glad to hear the App is working on the Samsung Galaxy S8 except the Traking mode.

Can I assume that the Ronin-SC is usable with the Samsung Galaxy S8 when the user don't care much about the Active Tracking 3? I believe this can be solved in future update(s).

Thanks fo your confirmation.
2019-7-28
Use props
XuserJM
lvl.1
Flight distance : 571985 ft
  • >>>
Denmark

Yes you can Yaromil.
I have no issues - other than the active tracking.
2019-8-6
Use props
Yaromil
lvl.2

Czechia

XuserJM Posted at 8-6 22:40
Yes you can Yaromil.
I have no issues - other than the active tracking.

Thanks a lot for confirmation. So this is the impulse I needed to buy the unit. Thanks!
2019-8-6
Use props
Divil22
lvl.2
Netherlands

Hi there, i have a S8 and a SC too. It works fine for me i think you are doing wrong
2019-8-7
Use props
Yaromil
lvl.2

Czechia

Divil22 Posted at 8-7 04:20
Hi there, i have a S8 and a SC too. It works fine for me i think you are doing wrong

Hi Divil22,

what do you mean by "i think you are doing wrong"? I haven't tried it myself yet, because at the compatible list the S8 phone wasn't mentioned, so I only wanted to ask other users if they managed to work with S8 and SC together before I do the purchase of Ronin SC.  Glad to hear the Ronin SC is working fine on your S8 anyway.

Cheers.
2019-8-7
Use props
Chrome Dome
lvl.2
Canada

I received my SC yesterday and hooked it up...   other than the fact that you cannot properly balance the camera with the phone ontop (vertical/straight up alignment is impossible due to phone touching rear motor), and the Ronin app is cometely useless... i found the S8 worked fine.

The app is garbage.  It crashed a lot, lost BT connection often...

Active track should just be a sensor/cam cube on the cam that connects to the side mounted phone.  The phone on top is so wonky / dumb.

2019-8-8
Use props
Yaromil
lvl.2

Czechia

Chrome Dome Posted at 8-8 04:28
I received my SC yesterday and hooked it up...   other than the fact that you cannot properly balance the camera with the phone ontop (vertical/straight up alignment is impossible due to phone touching rear motor), and the Ronin app is cometely useless... i found the S8 worked fine.

The app is garbage.  It crashed a lot, lost BT connection often...

Hi Chrome Dome,

never had any gymball and so I do not know how important is the mobile phone app / connection for it's functionality.

Is the Ronin-SC usable even when the app is garbage according your words? Do I need the app to use the Ronin-SC as a gymbal? Do not need Active Track function, only wanted to use tha app for Timelapses and Panoramas. Is is possible? What do you think?

Thanks and cheers.
2019-8-8
Use props
Chrome Dome
lvl.2
Canada

Hey man, yes you can use it without active track.

Honestly, the feature is cool on the Osmo Mobile 2 i have... as the phone is the camer.   But it's a bad joke getting people to mount the phone ontop of the camera AND THEN balancing (which is a physical imposibility)...

The other features should work fine via app... the app sucks hard, so you will be able to use a feature until you stop recording... then you'll have to restart the app and toggle BT on/off to use a different feature.  

The features are 2nd to the gimbals true functions... so dont worry. Youll still be able to capture great smooth content so long as you can balance the cam well.
2019-8-8
Use props
Yaromil
lvl.2

Czechia

Chrome Dome Posted at 8-8 14:23
Hey man, yes you can use it without active track.

Honestly, the feature is cool on the Osmo Mobile 2 i have... as the phone is the camer.   But it's a bad joke getting people to mount the phone ontop of the camera AND THEN balancing (which is a physical imposibility)...

Thanks a lot, Chrome Dome! That sounds positive. Only waiting to be the Ronin-SC in stock in our country to give it a try.

Cheers.
2019-8-9
Use props
alexhalessays
lvl.2

Pakistan

Samsung Galaxy S8 is a phone that has history. It was one of those releases that people thought were the next real breakthrough. It is a great product to buy so if you find one on the shelf, it's time to get one for yourself. Here are a few fun specifications of the phone to help explain to you how it is a great phone. Display: The display screen is 6.2 inches and has a super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen with 16M colors. This means that the color potential of the mobile phone will be off the charts and the screen will also be super strong due to a highly strong glass. The phone has an aluminum frame with a Gorilla Glass 5 that is again, pretty strong. It is water and dust resistant and the honey can stay in water for up to 30 minutes before losing functionality.  Core: The phone has an amazing and simple core with Exynos 8895 that has 8 octa-cores. Four of the Octa- cores are 2.3 GHz Mongoose M@ and the other four are 1.7 GHz Cortex- A53. If none of this means anything to you, then it means the product can run on jet fuel ad not crash for a millisecond.  Camera: The phone has a strong 12MP phone with dual pixel DAF, LED FLash, auto- HDR, panorama view, stereo sound recording, gyro- EIS, PIS and includes dual video call. The video options are 2160p@3-fps and lower. The video and pictorial results of the camera are truly amazing.  Extra Features: The phone has a WLAN, dual-band, W- Fi Direct hotspot and a GPS with a USB connector. The phone also has an iris scanner, active noise cancellation with dedicated mic. A fingerprint mounted in the back and compass, barometer, heart rate monitor, Sp)2, gyro, proximity, accelerometer, and a Samsung Dex hat will make your phone compatible with desktop monitors.  Colors: The phone comes in a long range of colors including, midnight black, maple gold, rose pink, coral blue, arctic silver, orchid gray and a strong 3500 mAh battery.  There are many reasons to buy this phone, we listed the best few in this piece. Best of luck with phone shopping this Christmas and may you get amazing deals in the market!
2019-12-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules