Ronin-sc Focus Motor not working
5822 11 2019-7-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Califi
lvl.1

United States

I have a Sony 16500 with a Sony Lens attached and the Focus Motor setup with teh Ronin-SC. I cannot get the Focus motor to calibrate or communicate and have tried various things. I have doublechecked the configuration of cables and the switch but still it fails. I have added a video link here and would appreciate any help.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/244eh0z5mtd13nssbmgsq/IMG_6340.MOV?dl=0&new_user=1&oref=e&r=AA-B6JHV10_Qy4a5WTNyVRWGHHUgNZew8STNN8i-BnumLJgJEOadwdYycZsIzcelHlKIJX8nmwfRuJEPB5uLF4TlC4GYNRj68L5qM-AfX4lctPDrtKt3AkDJ8d6hdx_LC3HV3esquNZCg77ateOZzkLVbIsE4PP3COBvM6KTS6dl0nLFm9g12WMJN0X2u5AMYvcVkANffOO9QAwm6ZI1-ZjT&sm=1
2019-7-26
Use props
Califi
lvl.1

United States

Just to clarify I meant to say sony a6500.  Another link to see video is https://www.dropbox.com/s/4v11dwuts2wiryz/IMG_6340.MOV?dl=0
2019-7-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Califi, your issue has been forwarded to our engineers for further test, I will come back soon, please wait patiently, thank you.
2019-7-29
Use props
Califi
lvl.1

United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 7-29 00:13
Hi Califi, your issue has been forwarded to our engineers for further test, I will come back soon, please wait patiently, thank you.

OK I got the email from them and the return label. I handed over the return to UPS today. Is it possible to get a tracking number of the replacement unit? How do I follow up on this ?
2019-7-30
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Califi Posted at 7-30 05:55
OK I got the email from them and the return label. I handed over the return to UPS today. Is it possible to get a tracking number of the replacement unit? How do I follow up on this ?

We will send you the tracking number once the replacement is approved and shipped, please note the email notification.
2019-7-31
Use props
akibo
lvl.2
Germany

Did you try to disconnect the USB from the camera? Maybe with the camera connected the focus wheel just controls zoom and doesn't recognize the focus motor ...
2019-8-1
Use props
Califi
lvl.1

United States

akibo Posted at 8-1 21:04
Did you try to disconnect the USB from the camera? Maybe with the camera connected the focus wheel just controls zoom and doesn't recognize the focus motor ...

Hi akibo

Yeah tried that as well but that did not work

Thanks
Jay
2019-8-2
Use props
Jondle
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi, Does your Sony 16500 have an option in the camera menus to change an option called 'Release w/o lens' Disable / Enable? I've had an issue with the motor focus wheel disconnecting. I had a Sony A7S ii, Samyang 35mm lens attached. With the function turned off. I get an error to check the lens attachment. if the lens is not supported. But with the function enabled. The lens works with the camera. Just a thought.
2019-8-15
Use props
GGallery
New

United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 2019-7-29 00:13

Hi is there any solution to this issue other than sending back, as I'm having exactly the same issue but connecting to a Panasonic GH-5.

All firmware is up to date and still getting the flashing red light on the focus wheel and no communication with the focus motor. I've even installed the focus wheel on the opposite side of the Ronin SC and restarted everything and still have the same issue.

Thank you.
4-24 00:36
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

GGallery Posted at 4-24 00:36
Hi is there any solution to this issue other than sending back, as I'm having exactly the same issue but connecting to a Panasonic GH-5.

All firmware is up to date and still getting the flashing red light on the focus wheel and no communication with the focus motor. I've even installed the focus wheel on the opposite side of the Ronin SC and restarted everything and still have the same issue.

Hi there, you mean after the DJI R Focus Wheel is connected to the gimbal, the indicator blinks red slowly and the Focus Motor cannot be controlled, right? You can try the suggestions below:
1. Please re-plug the Ronin-SC RSS Splitter cable, then restart the gimbal to have a try. If there is a spare cable, please replace it and try again.
2. Please install the camera, and set the camera correctly according to the compatibility list, then check if the camera can be controlled normally. https://www.dji.com/support/compatibility?product=ronin-sc
3. Please check the status of the Focus Motor indicator (green light indicates normal status, other status indicators need to be checked according to the corresponding status indicator).

If the above solution cannot solve this problem, Please send the gimbal, Ronin-SC RSS Splitter cable, the Focus Motor and the Focus Wheel back to diagnose.
4-24 19:05
Use props
GGallery
New

United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 4-24 19:05
Hi there, you mean after the DJI R Focus Wheel is connected to the gimbal, the indicator blinks red slowly and the Focus Motor cannot be controlled, right? You can try the suggestions below:
1. Please re-plug the Ronin-SC RSS Splitter cable, then restart the gimbal to have a try. If there is a spare cable, please replace it and try again.
2. Please install the camera, and set the camera correctly according to the compatibility list, then check if the camera can be controlled normally. https://www.dji.com/support/compatibility?product=ronin-sc

Hi there, thanks for coming back.

Yes I mean the DJI RS Focus Wheel is blinking red slowly when connected to the gimbal and switched on. I've tested this without any camera attached and with - powering up the camera after the ronin has powered up and vice versa. I've also tested the focus wheel attached to both sides of the gimbal and still have the same issue. What I don't understand is that it has been working fine with the setup I have for the past few years with the GH5, so there's no clear reason for it to have just stopped working.

I've updated all the firmware to the latest possible and still get the same issue. I don't have a spare rss splitter cable so would need to order a new one, to test as you have suggested.

Question - Do all the cables from the splitter need to be plugged into the gimbal for the focus wheel to connect? I'm only asking as I normally would have all cables plugged in before powering on but likewise, I've never had it blink red when I've switched the gimbal on and plugged cables in after. It feels like the focus wheel itself has just completely lost connection to the body of the gimbal.

Thank you
yesterday 02:10
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

GGallery Posted at 4-25 02:10
Hi there, thanks for coming back.

Yes I mean the DJI RS Focus Wheel is blinking red slowly when connected to the gimbal and switched on. I've tested this without any camera attached and with - powering up the camera after the ronin has powered up and vice versa. I've also tested the focus wheel attached to both sides of the gimbal and still have the same issue. What I don't understand is that it has been working fine with the setup I have for the past few years with the GH5, so there's no clear reason for it to have just stopped working.

The Focus Wheel blinks red slowly means it is disconnected, the communication between the Focus Wheel and the Focus Motor is not established. At this time, it has nothing to do with the camera connection status. Ensure that the Focus Wheel is installed properly and the Focus Motor is connected properly. For Ronin-SC Focus Motor connection, you can refer to:
yesterday 22:10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules