OP not working as intended
958 14 2019-7-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Melonhead1102
lvl.1
Flight distance : 208655 ft
United States

I have had my Osmo Pocket since January and at first I was quite happy with it.  Until I started trying to connect to my phone and use more of the features that is.

The connection to a smartphone is janky at best.  It consistently does not connect or stay connected.  I recognized immediately that relying on the smartphone adapter to solely support the connection was a bad plan so I ordered a phone and OP holder to keep the connection as solid as possible.  It didn't matter if I used it with or without the holder; the connection is erratic and unreliable.

I was having some issues on occassion with my phone not charging off the charging cable, so I assumed that was the issue and did an insurance claim on my device (Samsung Galaxy S9).  New phone arrived and the Osmo Pocket still does not work as advertised.

Currently, when it does finally connect to the phone, it either won't generate a video preview on the phone screen or it only shows the first image it sees and is frozen there.  The rest of the camera functions from the interface.  I can move the gimbal, change modes, take photo and video, but there is no preview available to see what I've recorded.  In addition to this, the Mimo app will randomly tell me that there is a firmware update available, which I have confirmed is indeed installed on the OP.  If I try to let the app do the update it wants to do, it will tell me there is not enough space on the memory card.  The card is 64GB Samsung Evo that is completely empty.  The display on the OP itself shows there is more than 59 GB available storage.

I'm completely at a loss here.  I don't know what to do to fix this device and make it work as designed.  I loved it at first, but now I resent owning it.  I spend more time trying to get it to connect appropriately than I do using it to record the moments that I bought it for.  I'm better off carrying around my Lumix G7 all the time or simply using the phone by itself.

If there's something else I should be doing to make this work, please enlighten me.  I'm looking for a reason to continue loving this device, but I'm close to filing for a divorce from it.
2019-7-29
Use props
Roger1167
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1510728 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm sorry to hear out the pain your having with your Osmo Pocket, I've had mine for awhile also and to be honest no trouble what so ever. I hope someone on here can maybe help with some advise.
2019-7-29
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

It could be that while the Samsung Galaxy S9 does support the required frame rates and resolution for the Osmo Pocket, that the screen does not and the compatibility issue is with the Mimo app. Does the problem only persist when recording in 4K or does it behave at 1080p?
2019-7-30
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

With all these bugs, do the videos still work out when off-loaded?

Talking with a few DJI people, they seem to believe that the OP, Mimo, and some other DJI products, favor IOS.

With the popularity of Apple tablets and phones, it almost seems like maybe the the non-Apple people are now suffering the fate that Apple users had (past tense) for quite some time.
2019-7-30
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Curt1591 Posted at 7-30 03:02

Talking with a few DJI people, they seem to believe that the OP, Mimo, and some other DJI products, favor IOS.

It could well be an operating system problem but whenever someone on the forum states their problems I check the phone specifications from that post and nearly always find there is always either a screen resolution discrepancy or a video frame rate/resolution/bitrate/USB data rate compliance, or video codec playback compatibility issue. The charging of a Google-powered Android operating system doesn't help for sure but the rest seems basically hardware incompatibility.
2019-7-30
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Melonhead1102. I am sorry for the trouble. Have you tried using a different mobile device to see if the issue will still persist? Upon checking the Samsung Galaxy S9 on the recommended mobile device list. I am sorry to say that the mobile device is still not yet recommended for your DJI Osmo Pocket as of the moment. There is a  possibility that the Samsung Galaxy S9  will be able to work with the DJI Osmo Pocket however, since they are not yet optimized with the DJI Osmo Pocket and with the DJI Mimo application we cannot guaranteed the stability of these mobile devices when in use with the said device and with the said application and if this will work all the time while using the specific device.  We highly suggest you use the compatible device that was listed on the recommended mobile device list below to avoid any inconvenience and any problem. Thank you.

2019-7-30
Use props
MKosmo
Second Officer
United Kingdom

As echoed above, I would definitely try / borrow another phone to rule out an actual communications issue with your actual osmo pocket. Preferably one on the list.   However I think lots of people have a working phone not on the list too, but Your case to prove a fault is much stronger with a recommended model.
2019-7-30
Use props
fanse55a7666
lvl.3
France

MKosmo Posted at 7-30 09:03
As echoed above, I would definitely try / borrow another phone to rule out an actual communications issue with your actual osmo pocket. Preferably one on the list.   However I think lots of people have a working phone not on the list too, but Your case to prove a fault is much stronger with a recommended model.

I use the OP with a S9 and it works very well. The phone is not thé problem.
2019-7-30
Use props
RSW
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116736 ft
United States

Funny that DJI would choose Android as the operating system for their own product, the Crystal Sky, if iOS was favored.
2019-7-30
Use props
Melonhead1102
lvl.1
United States

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 7-30 00:35
It could be that while the Samsung Galaxy S9 does support the required frame rates and resolution for the Osmo Pocket, that the screen does not and the compatibility issue is with the Mimo app. Does the problem only persist when recording in 4K or does it behave at 1080p?

Confirmed issue persists at both the 4k and 1080p resolutions.  I typically record at 1080/25 so I can edit from the app (when it works).  

It *has* worked in the past at multiple resolutions and frame rates, so I don't believe that is the issue in this case.
2019-7-30
Use props
Melonhead1102
lvl.1
United States

I just offloaded the memory card last night since we're going on vacation this week and I always make sure I leave with empty cards should something happen and I lose a device or data.  All the videos/photos that were on the device were able to play in each Windows, ON1 PhotoRAW, and Resolve.

I really struggle with the concept that the device honestly only works on certain Android devices if the operating system is consistent across devices.  And it's disappointing for me because I will *NEVER* go to Apple for my mobile phone.  I do not enjoy anything about the Apple experience.  I sold mobile devices for a considerable period of time during and after college, and that is where I developed my vitriol toward Apple.

With the popularity of Samsung mobile devices worldwide, it's honestly poor R&D to not certify them for use.  But, someone who gets paid a lot more than me made that decision and it doesn't seem to be changing since the device is coming up on 1 year old and still no change in compatibility.
2019-7-30
Use props
Melonhead1102
lvl.1
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 7-30 08:44
Hello and good day Melonhead1102. I am sorry for the trouble. Have you tried using a different mobile device to see if the issue will still persist? Upon checking the Samsung Galaxy S9 on the recommended mobile device list. I am sorry to say that the mobile device is still not yet recommended for your DJI Osmo Pocket as of the moment. There is a  possibility that the Samsung Galaxy S9  will be able to work with the DJI Osmo Pocket however, since they are not yet optimized with the DJI Osmo Pocket and with the DJI Mimo application we cannot guaranteed the stability of these mobile devices when in use with the said device and with the said application and if this will work all the time while using the specific device.  We highly suggest you use the compatible device that was listed on the recommended mobile device list below to avoid any inconvenience and any problem. Thank you.

[view_image]

Please, please, please pass along the request to update the compatibility list.  It's honestly annoying that after almost a year there are no updates to the compatibility, even when considering the popularity of both Samsung and LG devices.
2019-7-30
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

The problem is that android device from every manufacturer can have different implementation of the OS and it's just not possible to test them all but I do agree that the major brands like Samsung should be covered.
2019-7-31
Use props
Roger1167
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1510728 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use Samsung Note 9 without any flaws.
2019-7-31
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Melonhead1102 Posted at 7-30 16:39
Please, please, please pass along the request to update the compatibility list.  It's honestly annoying that after almost a year there are no updates to the compatibility, even when considering the popularity of both Samsung and LG devices.

Thank you for the additional information Melonhead1102. I have already forwarded this thread/information to the designated DJI department. For the latest update with the DJI Osmo Pocket. Kindly please visit our official website at www.dji.com. Thank you for your support.
2019-8-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules