Top Altitude = -193 feet?
589 16 2019-7-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DMS Photo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 17740 ft
United States

The Top Altitude in my flight record for my new Mavic 2 Pro reads -193 feet.  Actual flight altitudes seem to be correct.  Is this a problem I should be concerned about?  Thanks!
2019-7-31
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Is that the reading on the front page with max flight distance and speed etc? If so, that altitude reading is based on your highest altitude above sea level on take off - not your max altitude above the ground during flight.
2019-7-31
Use props
DMS Photo
lvl.2
United States

A J Posted at 7-31 09:38
Is that the reading on the front page with max flight distance and speed etc? If so, that altitude reading is based on your highest altitude above sea level on take off - not your max altitude above the ground during flight.

Thanks for the reply!  Yes, where it also shows TOP DISTANCE and TOP SPEED.  So why does it indicate that  my highest altitude at take off is nearly 200 feet below mean sea level?
2019-7-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

DMS Photo Posted at 7-31 10:04
Thanks for the reply!  Yes, where it also shows TOP DISTANCE and TOP SPEED.  So why does it indicate that  my highest altitude at take off is nearly 200 feet below mean sea level?

Because that’s how it read it I presume.
2019-7-31
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DMS Photo Posted at 7-31 10:04

May be because you were?! I wouldn't stress over it as it has nothing to do with your actual flights
2019-7-31
Use props
DMS Photo
lvl.2
United States

A J Posted at 7-31 10:13
May be because you were?! I wouldn't stress over it as it has nothing to do with your actual flights

Well, the location I flew from this morning is 20 feet above MSL, not 200 feet below.  Seems like a relatively significant error whether it has any thing to do with my actual flights or not.
2019-7-31
Use props
DMS Photo
lvl.2
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 7-31 10:11
Because that’s how it read it I presume.

And that's a significant error!
2019-7-31
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DMS Photo Posted at 7-31 10:24
Well, the location I flew from this morning is 20 feet above MSL, not 200 feet below.  Seems like a relatively significant error whether it has any thing to do with my actual flights or not.

Well, according to your device/drone it is -200'. You can send it back but they'll all show the same. How do you know the precise altitude above sea level where you were given that in your original post you didn't even know that the reading was against sea level? And given that your "actual flight altitudes seem to be correct" this is not something that I would be concerned about as the barometer in your drone accesses altitude in flight AGL against the home point from where it took off. The ASL reading on the front page has little to no significance.
2019-7-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DMS Photo Posted at 7-31 10:26

Why is it an error ?
2019-7-31
Use props
DMS Photo
lvl.2
United States

A J Posted at 7-31 10:32
Well, according to your device/drone it is -200'. You can send it back but they'll all show the same. How do you know the precise altitude above sea level where you were given that in your original post you didn't even know that the reading was against sea level? And given that your "actual flight altitudes seem to be correct" this is not something that I would be concerned about as the barometer in your drone accesses altitude in flight AGL against the home point from where it took off. The ASL reading on the front page has little to no significance.

I know the precise altitude above sea level because I am smart enough to know how to read a topographic map.  And your presumption that I did not know what the TOP ALTITUDE number referenced...max altitude at take off...is incorrect.

Nevertheless, I thank you for your input regarding the insignificance of the erroneous data.  Sounds like it is something to be ignored if it has no bearing on the actual safe operation of the drone.
2019-7-31
Use props
DMS Photo
lvl.2
United States

Because I wasn't 180 feet below the surface of the ocean when I flew this morning.
2019-7-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DMS Photo Posted at 7-31 10:59
Because I wasn't 180 feet below the surface of the ocean when I flew this morning.

Ok did see the minus can you post screenshot, I have six dji craft and all of them display correct altitude ASL .
2019-7-31
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DMS Photo Posted at 7-31 10:56
I know the precise altitude above sea level because I am smart enough to know how to read a topographic map.  And your presumption that I did not know what the TOP ALTITUDE number referenced...max altitude at take off...is incorrect.

Nevertheless, I thank you for your input regarding the insignificance of the erroneous data.  Sounds like it is something to be ignored if it has no bearing on the actual safe operation of the drone.

It has no bearing - I've taken off at precisely the same location with many different drones and that reading varies considerably - my Mavic 2 Pro, for example, recorded it as 309.6' where my Mavic Platinum noted the same location as nearly 1,000' ASL. Neither drone had ever crashed, flown away or experienced any glitches in flight and the altitude reading in the app during flight has always been accurate with every DJI drone I have owned hence, it's not of any significance. The front screen data is merely for personal reference. The ASL reading is not assessed in any other area of the app for day-to-day flying.
2019-7-31
Use props
DMS Photo
lvl.2
United States

A J Posted at 7-31 11:18
It has no bearing - I've taken off at precisely the same location with many different drones and that reading varies considerably - my Mavic 2 Pro, for example, recorded it as 309.6' where my Mavic Platinum noted the same location with as nearly 1,000' ASL. Neither drone had ever crashed, flown away or experienced any glitches in flight and the altitude reading in the app during flight has always been accurate with every DJI drone I have owned hence, it's not of any significance. The front screen data is merely for personal reference. The ASL reading is not assessed in any other other of the app for day-to-day flying.

That's all I was trying to determine...no glitches in flight.

Thank you for taking the time to reply and for your insight.  It is appreciated!
2019-7-31
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DMS Photo Posted at 7-31 11:26

Thank you for taking the time to reply and for your insight.  It is appreciated!

Also note that ASL readings are influenced by many external factors such as high and low tides, atmospheric pressure, climate and seasonal changes etc and are based on mean averages - you may return to the same point in 3 months time and have a different reading. It really is pointless as far as flying the drone is concerned.
2019-7-31
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

DMS Photo Posted at 7-31 10:26

The only way to avoid this is to set the baromet each time you fly.
As you cant set this it's just right at the same air pressure as was when setup first time.
This reading suppose that the pressure is more in your flight than it was set to.
2019-7-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DMS Photo Posted at 7-31 11:26

The Mavic actually has an internal barometric altitude device, and the GPS/GLONASS receivers, both of which measures altitude relative to the average sea level. Thus your hometown may be at 2000 ft AMSL (above mean sea level) and the Mavic would use that measurement at the time of takeoff. However, NOWHERE on the controller screen nor the DJI Go app screen will you see altitude described this way. This is only used for internal calculation.
2019-7-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules