How do I balance with phone at the top???
7298 15 2019-8-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rico Marques
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3278 ft
Canada

Hi guys,

I have a Canon M50 with 24mm lens and can't balance when I mount the Iphone X on the top, can anyone help with this???

I need to use the active track.

Thanks!!

Rico
2019-8-2
Use props
DJI DJI IS GOOD
lvl.2

France

I have the same issue.

Not really an issue but, if you correctly balance your setup, and then you want to add the phone for the active track, you have to re-balance all the setup.
It's a bit hard and not "run and gun" enough.

DJI should set alors motors to memorize position and adjust automatically for its next features instead of doing it manually.
2019-8-3
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Rico, please make sure to mount all the accessories including the phone holder and phone before balancing, the balancing process is the same with or without a phone holder and mobile phone mounted.
We have tutorial video in the APP by pressing  Balance Test which you may refer to.
2019-8-3
Use props
fans0b13f2d8
lvl.2
Flight distance : 17628 ft
  • >>>
United States

I found that lowering the tilt arm made it easier to balance the gimbal with a phone.  Instead of trying to balance the camera so it’s pointing straight up, you can just balance it at a 45 degree angle also.
2019-8-3
Use props
Rico Marques
lvl.1
Canada

fans0b13f2d8 Posted at 8-3 12:26
I found that lowering the tilt arm made it easier to balance the gimbal with a phone.  Instead of trying to balance the camera so it’s pointing straight up, you can just balance it at a 45 degree angle also.

I will try this today.
2019-8-3
Use props
Rico Marques
lvl.1
Canada

I tried before, but the motor start to going crazy, DJI have to make a video doing the balance with phone at the top, or helping with more information about.

Other thing is allow the active tracking with the fronting face camera, so us creators can use without other person activate the active tracking behind the camera. I hope some update allow us this function.

2019-8-3
Use props
Moni Johnson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

The phone might be too heavy (especially with a camera that light).
2019-8-3
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Rico Marques Posted at 8-3 12:48
I tried before, but the motor start to going crazy, DJI have to make a video doing the balance with phone at the top, or helping with more information about.

Other thing is allow the active tracking with the fronting face camera, so us creators can use without other person activate the active tracking behind the camera. I hope some update allow us this function.

Sorry for the late response, any chance to try another smaller-sized phone to try again?
Your suggestions about the balance tutorial with the phone at the top and the Active Track in Selfie mode will be forwarded to our engineers for attention.
2019-8-10
Use props
Yendred
New
Australia

I see this post is a year old. I just got my Ronin SC today and I am futilely trying to balance my Canon EOS m50 with an iphone X on top.  Is there a better tutorial? Do I need to add a weight or something to the base as it is so top heavy it just will not balance. The active track was the whole reason I bought this gimbal. Please advise if there is something I can do
2020-7-4
Use props
stryfe
lvl.1
United States

Rico Marques Posted at 2019-8-3 12:48

That's the problem I'm having.  I can balance the setup all day long but the motors start to shake and fail all balance test.  
2020-7-19
Use props
fans23b4445d
New
United States

I am using the following camera setup when trying to balance:

* Sony a6300 with SmallRig cage
* Sigma 16mm 1.4f lens
* Ronin SC phone mount
* iPhone 11 Max Pro
* ND filter

I cannot get it to balance. I’m under the payload and not hitting the limit of the payload maximum at all. I also put purchased this gimbal mainly for the tracking features. The issue I run into is that in order to get it properly balanced, my tilt arm needs to be lowered almost all the way. However, if I lower it too much, the tilt arm bumps against other arm. It doesn’t clear it at all. Also, if I lower the tilt arm, the slider plate also bumps into the other lower arm of the gimbal. This then interferes with the balance test and always fails and it also limits how far I can tilt.

Why did DJI allow your tilt arm to go that low if the arm and the slider plate are going to bump and interfere with the other arms?  That’s the reason I can’t get my setup to balance with the rest of the accessories on it. I may have to return it if I can’t solve this.
2020-8-16
Use props
DGBarar
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans23b4445d Posted at 8-16 04:14
I am using the following camera setup when trying to balance:

* Sony a6300 with SmallRig cage

Hi,

I am able to balance the following: FujiFilm X-T3, FujiFilm 10-24 f4/lens, ND filter, and iPhone 8--I do not have a cage.   X-T3 LCD display is tilted out about 0.5".  The tilt arm is at 0.4.

When I tip the assembly 45 degrees to the right and perform a balance I am unable to get a complete balance test because the devices run into the arms of the Ronin SC.  However, if tip the assembly 45 degrees to the left, I can run a complete balance test and get "excellent" on all three axis.

Hope this helps.

Don Barar
2020-8-21
Use props
Ben Olayinka
New

Germany

I got this idea from a youtube video about balancing just a phone.. mount the phone holder on the quick release plate. This should give you the best center of gravity, if you're okay with losing the camera screen. It also made me realize that I wasn't balancing correctly - make sure you follow the tilt and roll guides till the end, and you balance the distance arms as well.

2020-9-9
Use props
PixelSyndicate
lvl.1
Flight distance : 110407 ft
  • >>>
United States

I was able to get a good balance with my Canon EOS R, fairly large lens and my phone mounted on top, but it took using some of the DJI L-Bracket kit with counter-weights. It does add more weight to the overall load, but that was how I solved it.

balance with counter-weights.

balance with counter-weights.
2021-2-12
Use props
Advocate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1076909 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

There’s no easy way unfortunately as we’ve all discovered. Putting the phone on top of the camera raises the centre of gravity so much that to get it balanced requires time and patience. Also, once it is balanced you are putting limits on the tilt axis as the phone / camera combo is just too bulky.

Also don’t forget to re-calibrate the motors every time you change the load on the gimbal - it’s a standard part of my balancing routine now and makes a big difference to the gimbal stability.
2021-2-18
Use props
Advocate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1076909 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Any news on Raveneye being updated to support active track with the Ronin SC?
I’d buy it in a heartbeat if I could use it with my SC but I can’t justify a whole new gimbal setup for it.
2021-4-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules