Phantom 2 Crash video - Flyaway?
1704 9 2015-6-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
okbuav
New

United States

Was shooting some b-roll of students checking in for a summer camp when right after take-off the phantom acted as if it had no GPS lock. (drifting on last course like flying indoors with no GPS) I took off once, landed, cycled power and let 11 GPS lock again (11 satelites), then took off. As you can see in the video, the drone drifts still, but when I let go of controlls to see it if was stable it started flying to the right. Even pressing hard left to correct, I could not stop the flight to the right. My only option was to gain altitude to miss the roofline of a building and spin the drone so it was oriented with the direction I was facing. Bust as soon as it cleared the roof, it just continued to pick up speed untill the crash. I switched off the remote as it cleared the roof, but to no avail.

This is a drone that JUST came back from DJI with repairs after a motor failure cased a crash. This drone will be going back again for repair, and then I'm selling it. This has NEVER opperated correctly since purchase, and I no longer have any faith in it. It still flys currently, but still with the same problem, when released to hover, it will start to drift (random directions each time) and continue to tip until crash. (I've tested it a few times just 4 feet off the ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVDK4kaH6ag&feature=youtu.be
2015-6-8
Use props
Faken
lvl.2

Canada

Wow sorry about your crash, that's brutal!  Did you take off from a manhole cover or some other kind of steel grate?  I'm pretty sure you are not supposed to take off/set home point from a steel surface as it can cause issues.  May have nothing to do with this and I may be wrong, but I am fairly sure I've read this some place...  that's why I never take off from the top of my metal hardcase.  Thank goodness it didn't hit anyone at least...
2015-6-8
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11099 ft
United States

Ouch road rash! Had that before. Man, sorry about the bird. Agree with Faken, was that a metal manhole cover you took off from? Too many people to be flying around. Don't mean to be on your case and again, sorry about your bird.
2015-6-8
Use props
yorlik
lvl.3

United States

looks like metal under take off....

how did the imu & compass calibration work before you took off?

2015-6-8
Use props
JtrJr-Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

Okb,

I've got to go along with the other guys on this one. The venue and the manhole cover were both really bad ideas in my opinion. You must not have been right in that spot when/if you did a compass calibration before the flight. You would have to be a bit away from that cover to have it complete successfully. Did you get successful CL and HL before you hit the air? Of course I'm no expert so I'm just speculating.

Jerry
2015-6-8
Use props
okbuav
New

United States

Yeah, I did compass calibration in another area, and just sat the drone on the manhole as a level spot instead of the grass. I actually fly from that exact spot all the time, so not sure if it was related or not. It still flies, but has the same behavior, even though I've recalibrated the IMU and compass multiple times
2015-6-9
Use props
JtrJr-Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

okbuav Posted at 2015-6-9 23:06
Yeah, I did compass calibration in another area, and just sat the drone on the manhole as a level sp ...

Ok,

When you do the advanced IMU cal you have to be super careful. I had a lot of trouble doing mine the first few times. There are a lot of threads in here regarding doing it. Here's the way I explained it to someone else recently, it's kind of lengthy but I'm trying to cover everything I can think of: http://forum.dji.com/thread-17159-1-1.html

A lot of folks don't o to this extreme but it's worked very well for me. Also, putting your bird (with battery removed) in the fridge for 5-10 minutes before doing the cal really did help. Hope it helps.

Jerry
2015-6-9
Use props
roy
Second Officer

United States

A when you received the quad back from DJI di you do a new IMU calibration and a RC calibration. Very important after shipping. DJI says that the first thing to do. Be honest if you didn't then we'll know where some of the issue of wild flying came from.
2015-6-9
Use props
DiogoPintoCinem
New

Portugal

Help me with this problem please?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd4UnZgw7aI&feature=youtu.be
2015-9-15
Use props
markus2015
lvl.4

Germany

I had the exact same trouble. In my case it was my own fault. I stuck a laser pointer to the landing gear. The metall from that screwed up the compass. I could only lift and decend to some extent until it crash in a 45° angle.

Did you put anything near the compass which is not stock?
2015-9-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules