Jello/Shutter Roll and Moire on Phantom 3 Professional
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mike S
New

Canada

Hey all,

Starting shooting with the new 3 prof and im getting bad jello and moire happening. does anyone know a fix for these issues?

thanks
2015-6-8
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Can you post a video example?

You can now buy the official DJI Hardshell Backpack
Remember to buy extra propellers and one or two spare batteries to keep you flying
www.Phantom-Guide.co.uk - The Ultimate Phantom 3 Resource

2015-6-8
Use props
Mike S
New

Canada

sploodge Posted at 2015-6-9 04:51
Can you post a video example?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wqg0me8q2kbuh2p/DJI_0013.MOV?dl=0

here is a link to the footage
2015-6-8
Use props
hawk89
lvl.2

United States

Remove the foam between camera and gimbal arm. Moire is a fact when using such a small sensor.
2015-6-8
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mmm. you really should not be getting that kind of jello. One suggestion would to try the other set of props or combination in case some are unbalanced ( but the gimbal should really take care of it ).

Also I noticed you are blessed with good weather unlike here in the UK. jello could be due to shutter speed. try playing with that in the App, also consider getting a ND filter.

If you could also test on a dull cloudy day See if its still there.. Between doing these suggestions, give DJI a call and explain the issue send them links.

cant think of much more you can do..
2015-6-8
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

if you getting jello with the P3 and removed the foam than it is most likely because the gimbal is faulty. This has most likely nothing to do with props or whatever. There is a simple test you can do, start your Phantom3 and when your gimbal makes noises from time to time and vibrate in intervals when you tilt the Phantom3 in your hands or use the gimbal wheel than its the gimbal itself. An ND filter will only mask your problem a bit but you will always have less video quality than you should have.

You dont have to wait for bad weather as well, with the Phantom App you can simulate pretty much every weather condition out there because you can manually adjust shutter speed. To simulate a grey day just lower the shutter speed and ISO to 100 but like i sad it will only "mask" the vibration problem to a certain degree.There are several threads already about this problem here, unfortunately they drop down pretty fast in the list here.
2015-6-8
Use props
Mike S
New

Canada

sploodge Posted at 2015-6-9 05:03
Mmm. you really should not be getting that kind of jello. One suggestion would to try the other set ...

looked at some other footage and it wasn't happening.. little frustrated. had no issues with the Phantom 2
2015-6-8
Use props
Mike S
New

Canada

Daninho Posted at 2015-6-9 06:05
if you getting jello with the P3 and removed the foam than it is most likely because the gimbal is f ...

Will try that out. thanks
2015-6-8
Use props
DJI-Autumn
Second Officer

Hong Kong

If you removed the foam already, like Daninho said, it might be a gimble malfunction. Do the test and contact NA Support pls.
2015-6-9
Use props
perlanswed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1174157 ft
Sweden

I also have this "jello" problem. I have tested now to do every tips and trix but still the videos look like some one very drunk have filmed ;-)
So is it worth to wait on a FW update or is the only way to get it repaired ??

My first P3 Professional were the charger corrupt so I did have to wait and ended up with that I returned that.
And now my second P3 Professional have the "jello" and strange gimbal sound...
Im expecting a little more quality for the price!!

What should I do?
2015-6-14
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Germany

perlanswed Posted at 2015-6-14 22:04
I also have this "jello" problem. I have tested now to do every tips and trix but still the videos  ...

when you hear strange sound from the gimbal and vibrations than u have to send it in. Moire effect is well known from the inspire as well.
You returned maybe a great working Phantom3 because of a charger. I would have checked the gimbal and camera first for jello and vibrations from what i know now because
a perfect copy of the P3 gimbal seems to be not for granted.
2015-6-14
Use props
perlanswed
Second Officer
Sweden

Gimbal vibration

2015-6-15
Use props
perlanswed
Second Officer
Sweden

Updated to the latest FW 1.2.6 and I can't reproduce the strange sound and vibration. Unfortunately its raining outside so not able to test fly. Will get back after test flight with video. Hopefully some of my big jello and vibration problem will be gone...
2015-6-17
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

Using an ND filter might also help in this case.
2015-6-17
Use props
perlanswed
Second Officer
Sweden

Made a indoor test flight and the video seem to be very fine now, but as some of you know its a another thing outside in fully sun. So waiting on to get out when the rain stops.
It was the first indoor flight for me with this type of drone so i can't say yet if the stabilization system is poor with the new FW. Video feed working fine on a iPhone 6+.
2015-6-17
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Germany

is your jello problem solved with the latest FW?
2015-6-17
Use props
brain
lvl.2

Hungary

Daninho Posted at 2015-6-18 04:48
is your jello problem solved with the latest FW?

I updated the firmware and guess what....
nothing changed on the Jello side.
Also, i have some strange flickering, you can see on the right side of the video:
2015-6-18
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Germany

The flickering at 0:07 is normal, the shadows from your props because there is no sunhood. Yes the Jello is still there, i cant imagine a FW update would change that
2015-6-18
Use props
brain
lvl.2

Hungary

Daninho Posted at 2015-6-18 21:49
The flickering at 0:07 is normal, the shadows from your props because there is no sunhood. Yes the J ...

Yeah, the flickering is OK. I know now.
But the Jello: we made different tests in hand and the Jello is occured because the gimbal Vibration.
So it needs to calibrate deeper, needs to set the PIDs or just set the power down for a bit like in the normal gimbals.
So i think it can be done with software update, but most of the people dont have this issue so i dont know what DJI will do
2015-6-18
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Germany

brain Posted at 2015-6-19 00:46
Yeah, the flickering is OK. I know now.
But the Jello: we made different tests in hand and the Jel ...

yes it can be mosgt likely with software but not a FW update because then all others would have wrong PIDs : p the only solution is custom fine tune it at DJI i guess.
2015-6-18
Use props
brain
lvl.2

Hungary

Daninho Posted at 2015-6-19 02:51
yes it can be mosgt likely with software but not a FW update because then all others would have wr ...

Solution should be: advanced option and motor power for each axes.
2015-6-19
Use props
perlanswed
Second Officer
Sweden

With the latest FW 1.2.6 is the jello better but not perfect. Still have the every 2 second vibration and also problem with "lost signal" on the live feed. But DJI will hopefully fix this with the next FW. We only need to give them time to fix a new FW version.
2015-6-20
Use props
perlanswed
Second Officer
Sweden

Vibration and "jello" with FW 1.2.6 on P3P

2015-6-20
Use props
aande2912
New

Having trouble with the "jello" shutter when I fly. It will stop once I maintain a consistent speed, but once I turn the aircraft or slow down again, the jello shutter reappears which ruins the entire footage. Please help!!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eqw0h6q0khsbp3a/DJI_0103.MOV?dl=0

2016-5-17
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

aande2912 Posted at 2016-5-18 10:28
Having trouble with the "jello" shutter when I fly. It will stop once I maintain a consistent speed, ...

What Phantom is it? Have you examined the gimbal and removed the packing foam behind the vertical arm, it looks like it is still in place.
2016-5-17
Use props
aande2912
New

It's a DJI P3 Professional. I removed the foam arm before this video. I don't know whether I should send the drone in for maintenance or not. I have seen a lot of forums discussing the jello, but my situation seems centric to the one portion of the picture rather than the entire picture.
2016-5-17
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

aande2912 Posted at 2016-5-18 12:09
It's a DJI P3 Professional. I removed the foam arm before this video. I don't know whether I should  ...

Test this out on the ground, you don't have to be in the air, or even have the motors running to test it out. Try tilting and rotating the aircraft and see what is happening. It looks to me as if the gimbal is fighting something that won't let it move properly.
2016-5-17
Use props
michaelfinney_h
lvl.2

United Kingdom

perlanswed Posted at 2015-6-20 20:32
Vibration and "jello" with FW 1.2.6 on P3P

https://youtu.be/_9ZqoImc6R8

PERLANSWED I can't see any jello in your video. where is it. Can you see any in mine?
2016-5-18
Use props
Sergunj
New
Flight distance : 37110 ft
Russia

I also have a problem with jelly, help with the decision of what to do
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByftTUPF57SeZTNXZ2xnM2NqNDA
2016-10-4
Use props
famorim
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1595574 ft
Brazil

Usually Jelly is a matter of unbalanced motor or propeller. I had drones in the past the was presenting Jelly with propellers balanced and only finish after balance the motors. It is very rare with DJI equipment, but I think you should double check that. There is a lot of videos at youtube where you can see how to solve that.

cheers
2016-10-5
Use props
quanthonytrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Hover the Bird just above your head.
Look at the camera and see if the camera is vibrating/oscillating.
Reach out and grab the legs. This will transfer the vibration down your arms and you will notice that the camera will stop shaking. This is from incorrect gain settings. The motors produce a harmonic vibration at certain RPMS. Changing the gains may fix it.Maybe check the white rubber dampeners and make sure you havent torn any of them.

Fix:
There is a dodgy firmware out there (i cannot recall).. Try updating to the latest. In the P2 days, when ever a firmware came out, you had to default the gain settings.

Or try
There are gain settings in the GO app = Settings > MC settings>Advanced Settings>GAIN
Change your vertical to 70/80/90/100/110/120 and see which will stop the vibration.

2016-10-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules