Setting controller homepoint
4726 11 2019-8-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_C3VEhn7USYWs
lvl.1
United States

I'm looking for a  solution or explanation of my issues with weak or missing GPS signal home point recognition issue. I'm on all of the latest releases on the Mavic 2 controller and on my IOS device. IOS Location services are "always on" for DJI GO 4 app. My compasses in the Mavic and my phone are calibrated (multiple times). My "find my iPhone" app knows which corner of my living room I'm in. Today with the controller switch selected in "Tripod Mode" I was able to get my controller recognized as the home point,... I thought. Even though the switch was in Tripod mode, the Mavic was operating in Position/GPS mode. When I executed a return to home, it wasn't the location of my controller. The return to home location was where the take-off location was, which I had walked about 50 ft away from. Toggling the mode switch between the 3 different mode positions cleared up the non-selected mode.,...But this happened twice. I couldn't get the controller set as home point again, (even the false result). I'm brand new to all of this. Is there a setting or option I should set to make this work properly? I think I've read about, and seen every video on the Mavic 2 operation but my brain is on data overload. I could have missed something. Thanks in advance for any help.
2019-8-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

The home point will always be the take off location unless you later update it by swiping across the screen and selecting a new home point.  This video will show it better -
2019-8-29
Use props
jmb63
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7009439 ft
  • >>>
United States

What device (phone/tablet) are you using? I ask because some of the tablets do not have a built-in GPS chip (WIFI only ipad mini for example)and the device needs GPS ( the drone has it's own GPS so that is how it gets home) to now where it is to update the home point
2019-8-29
Use props
Kevin in Reily
lvl.1
United States

jmb63 Posted at 8-29 06:02
What device (phone/tablet) are you using? I ask because some of the tablets do not have a built-in GPS chip (WIFI only ipad mini for example)and the device needs GPS ( the drone has it's own GPS so that is how it gets home) to now where it is to update the home point

I'm using an iPhone XS.  I've tried setting the controller home point two ways. the way described above in the video and also by tapping the drone icon on the main screen which takes you to the same homepoint setting option.  In both cases the message I get is "GPS signal too weak from device".  I believe this is a known issue with "some" IOS devices.  However using the find iPhone app, my location is displayed very accurately.  
2019-8-29
Use props
Kevin in Reily
lvl.1
United States

Kevin in Reily Posted at 8-29 07:05
I'm using an iPhone XS.  I've tried setting the controller home point two ways. the way described above in the video and also by tapping the drone icon on the main screen which takes you to the same homepoint setting option.  In both cases the message I get is "GPS signal too weak from device".  I believe this is a known issue with "some" IOS devices.  However using the find iPhone app, my location is displayed very accurately.

Apparently there isn't an easy solution for this problem since DJI hasn't responded here and others have the same issue on another forum. Had I known about this, i would have chosen a unit with a smart controller. I still have time to execute a return and will with not so favorable feedback.
2019-8-30
Use props
Jimis.M
lvl.3
Flight distance : 754705 ft
Cyprus

Hello,

First, you need to record your Home Point with at least 10 satellite GPS connections. Your Home Point can be your drone’s location before taking off, or it can be where ever your remote controller is, check that it’s correct. Finally, make sure you set your return home altitude so that it’s higher than anything in the area. Usually setting it to 100 meters is adequate unless you’re flying in a city or there are any particular large structures around. Now your RTH should be safe to use, but as always if you want to have total control it’s better to land your aircraft by yourself.

For more info take a look here: (RTH) Safely
2019-8-31
Use props
HH1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

DAFlys , thanks for that video, it explains some things I have been wondering about.
2019-8-31
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>

HH1 Posted at 8-31 13:22
DAFlys , thanks for that video, it explains some things I have been wondering about.

you're very welcome.  
2019-9-2
Use props
kovat53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 324521 ft
Hungary

DAFlys Posted at 8-29 04:36
The home point will always be the take off location unless you later update it by swiping across the screen and selecting a new home point.  This video will show it better -

thanks for sharing, some of them were hidden at least for me....
2019-9-2
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>

kovat53 Posted at 9-2 02:44
thanks for sharing, some of them were hidden at least for me....
Tried it, but some of them, i.e. first doesn't work for me. I use a Huawei Mediapad M3 Lite/Android, and if I try the first suggested method, Google Assistant comes up. Are some of the functions only for iOS?

Not sure,  I didnt create the video just shared a link to help out.
2019-9-2
Use props
kovat53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 324521 ft
Hungary

DAFlys Posted at 9-2 04:31
Not sure,  I didnt create the video just shared a link to help out.

Anyway thank you very much
2019-9-2
Use props
Drone34
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84091 ft

Kevin in Reily Posted at 8-29 07:05
I'm using an iPhone XS.  I've tried setting the controller home point two ways. the way described above in the video and also by tapping the drone icon on the main screen which takes you to the same homepoint setting option.  In both cases the message I get is "GPS signal too weak from device".  I believe this is a known issue with "some" IOS devices.  However using the find iPhone app, my location is displayed very accurately.

There are a number of us here who have expressed some frustration with this.  It would be nice for DJI to respond to the issue and fix the software, or to at least acknowledge a fix is needed.
2019-9-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules