Spark overheats
1937 9 2019-9-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
vlaporte
lvl.1
Flight distance : 545 ft

My Spark overheats and gives error code - barrometer error due to overhearing. IF you fly immediately it stays warm but not hot.
If you turn on and not fly it gets very warm on top of drone - not battery and get above error.
I took top off and to view fan and heat sink - now stays just warm not hot and no error code and flys fine.
After reviewing many posts about "hot Spark" I decided that the cooling fan needed more intake air to cool properly. So I drilled an array of air intake holes in the top shell of my Spark.
Now it stays cool even at rest (power on but not flying).
I also bought a micro USB to iPhone cable which makes setup link (controller to iphone) much easier - just plug in - no wifi setup period.
Happy Landings,
Vince

air intake for fan

air intake for fan

usb to iPhone

usb to iPhone

2019-9-3
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>

Great tips!
2019-9-3
Use props
Tomcatuk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28743 ft

Agreed good tips but not something DJI would approve of I would think and most certainly void any warranty...
2019-9-4
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain

Cool! Thanks for sharing
2019-9-4
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, we do appreciate sharing this information to our valued DJI Forum members. For a friendly reminder, we don't recommend our customers to modify or fix the drone as this process is not in accordance with our after-sales policy. We do appreciate your understanding.
2019-9-4
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>

DJI Tony Posted at 9-4 11:41
Hi, we do appreciate sharing this information to our valued DJI Forum members. For a friendly reminder, we don't recommend our customers to modify or fix the drone as this process is not in accordance with our after-sales policy. We do appreciate your understanding.

well, in America and Europe if a user opens their products to improve something such as drilling holes in top case  to improve cooling performance but not damaging other things internally...that is totally fine, and DJI would be wrong to deny a warranty claim over. not only wrong but it is ILLEGAL to deny a claim without first proving the modification or simply opening the device was direct result of failure.  only thing dji legally can deny wcoverage over now is the housing if user drilled holes in it... but nothing else without proving improving cooling killers everything else..

even dji somehow made a connection between better cooling and damage elsewhere.. say doing that caused the fan to break an and user replaced his or her fan themselves.. you can deny warranty on the cooler now/cooling system now.  but the user still has full legal right to make unrelated warranty claims, for example the camera, if the user is having issues with camera with all this going on, you cannot legally deny user such coverage unless dji can somehow prove replacing the fan and improving the cooling kills the camera..
2019-9-4
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>

My Spark never really gets hot.  If it gets hot you aren't flying fast enough for the air to go inside.  Poking holes at the top will make it worse when it starts to rain.

You should probably replace the top-cover and add or replace the heatsink or at least the heatsink thermal paste.

Maybe the fan doesn't work.
2019-9-4
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>

AntDX316 Posted at 9-4 19:59
My Spark never really gets hot.  If it gets hot you aren't flying fast enough for the air to go inside.  Poking holes at the top will make it worse when it starts to rain.

You should probably replace the top-cover and add or replace the heatsink or at least the heatsink thermal paste.

the spark should not overheat sitting still, it has a fan built in, i owned 2 neither overheated...they did other crazy sh*t but never overheated even if i ran the battery from 100% to dead sitting stationary.   

also the spark already has no rain resistance... like none at all it will already get water inside the body of the drone fairly easily flying in even a light spring shower..   even the mavic air has better rain resistance.
2019-9-4
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>

HereForTheBeer Posted at 9-4 21:23
the spark should not overheat sitting still, it has a fan built in, i owned 2 neither overheated...they did other crazy sh*t but never overheated even if i ran the battery from 100% to dead sitting stationary.   

also the spark already has no rain resistance... like none at all it will already get water inside the body of the drone fairly easily flying in even a light spring shower..   even the mavic air has better rain resistance.

If one overheats and the other doesn't then it's defective.
2019-9-5
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

HereForTheBeer Posted at 9-4 16:00
well, in America and Europe if a user opens their products to improve something such as drilling holes in top case  to improve cooling performance but not damaging other things internally...that is totally fine, and DJI would be wrong to deny a warranty claim over. not only wrong but it is ILLEGAL to deny a claim without first proving the modification or simply opening the device was direct result of failure.  only thing dji legally can deny wcoverage over now is the housing if user drilled holes in it... but nothing else without proving improving cooling killers everything else..

even dji somehow made a connection between better cooling and damage elsewhere.. say doing that caused the fan to break an and user replaced his or her fan themselves.. you can deny warranty on the cooler now/cooling system now.  but the user still has full legal right to make unrelated warranty claims, for example the camera, if the user is having issues with camera with all this going on, you cannot legally deny user such coverage unless dji can somehow prove replacing the fan and improving the cooling kills the camera..

Appreciate the information that you've provided to us. DJI is bound with its after-sales policy and being promulgated in our website. Anything happens to the drone that is not in accordance with our after-sales policy, the warranty of the unit might be voided. However, this is a case to case basis depending on the scenario. If there are problems that would occur to the drone that's not normal, we highly recommend reaching us for further help or the unit can be sent to our facility. Thank you for understanding.
2019-9-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules