Improve 'Dashboard' vid(??)
966 3 2019-9-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rjwPhoto
lvl.2

I've managed to mount the OP to my vehicle's dashboard and captured a test vid while driving...just for test purposes. The resulting vid has a fair amount of intermittent glare when the sun hits the windshield and/or bounces off the hood at some angles. Doesn't surprise me. Shooting through reflective surfaces that's bound to occur occasionally.

I'm just trying to decide how best to minimize it in the future and would appreciate any suggestions. If you want to see what I'm talking about, the dropbox link below has an 8-10 sec trim of the original. It was shot at 1080p/24fps.

I'm sorta guessing a polarizing filter is likely to be my best option, but have precious little experience with such things in the video world, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/727keq ... _0002_Trim.mp4?dl=0

2019-9-9
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

If you use a polariser through the toughened glass of your windscreen you may pick up patterns in the glass. There is a sort of sunshade for the Osmo Pocket by a third party supplier you could try.

Look Here

But personally, I'd be thinking of mounting the Osmo Pocket nearer the roof and in the shade. That way you may not get the bonnet/hood in view to get glare bounce and the shade may help with the direct sunlight. I have a black mini and because the windscreen is fairly upright I can get my Pocket quite close the windscreen and not suffer as much from reflected glare.
2019-9-9
Use props
rjwPhoto
lvl.2

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 9-9 14:38
If you use a polariser through the toughened glass of your windscreen you may pick up patterns in the glass. There is a sort of sunshade for the Osmo Pocket by a third party supplier you could try.

Look Here

Thanks for that!
Hadn't thought of a polarizer picking the 'details' in the windshield. Good point.
And that's the first lens hood accessory I've seen for the OP. Definitely worth considering.

I'm driving a CRV. Where I currently have the mounting placed, the OP does wind up being somewhat distant from the windshield. So, it is relatively shaded from the sun...unless I was driving directly into it. And I can probably angle it up enough to avoid having the hood in the shot. Will have to play with that as well.

Thanks for the feedback!
2019-9-9
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

rjwPhoto Posted at 9-9 15:22
Thanks for that!
Hadn't thought of a polarizer picking the 'details' in the windshield. Good point.
And that's the first lens hood accessory I've seen for the OP. Definitely worth considering.

I'm also using a mount I made from an old Satnav that sticks to the windscreen and is very close to it. Less than half a centimeter. The Osmo Pocket weighs about the same as the Satnav unit it replaced. The Mini windscreen is also quite upright compared to most other cars so may play a part in reducing that type of flare. The problem with that sunshade will be the Pocket will have to be used upright and not in the torch position. I had gathered your Omo Pocket was some distance from the screen because I could see the top of your dashboard reflected in the windscreen. Low winter sun is always going to be a problem though. Good luck.
2019-9-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules