Advanced vs Professional-Any regrets
1842 19 2015-6-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Clem2099
lvl.2

United States

Just curious if anyone that bought the adanced wished they had spent a little more and gotten the Professional or vice versa? I am on the fence about which way to go and no sure if the 4k at 30fps can be stepped down to 1080p 60fps.
2015-6-11
Use props
ecarpo
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I am very happy with my Advanced.  I couldn't justify the extra cost for the Professional especially as this is just as a hobby. If it was part of my business maybe I would have gone for the professional.
2015-6-11
Use props
Mark97564
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2067749 ft
United States

Then you don't like good video..  The 4k camera brings life to even a 1080p TV screen
2015-6-11
Use props
bactrimforte
lvl.2

Italy

AFAIK no, I'm ok with P3A. Why? firstly because of the bandwidth of data writing from camera to mSD, so high compression.
Then for the next 2 yrs, at least, 4k won't be the majority of video transmission;
in the next 2 yrs I won't see changes in my, my relatives, my friends tv/monitors;
4k means heavy files, post production will need a top notch computer;
mobile users won't have 4k screen (and, for hell, 4k on a 5" screen? seriously);

from the other hand, recalling the first point, I'd like to get 4k and downsample to 1080p to have a better chroma sub-sampling in pp.

I will wait P5 or 6 for an upscale ;)

2015-6-11
Use props
anjosva
lvl.2

Portugal

Mark97564 Posted at 2015-6-11 20:23
Then you don't like good video..  The 4k camera brings life to even a 1080p TV screen

LOL. So in your opinion 1080p isn't enough?

I agree with ecarpo when he is saying that since this is a hobby 1080p 60fps fits well in what I really want.

Anyway this is a personal view and I think you can't say he doesn't like good video just cause you don't agree ;)
2015-6-11
Use props
RuN3
lvl.1

Norway

I mainly take stills so.. no regret on my P3A atleast
2015-6-11
Use props
DanH
lvl.2
Flight distance : 315177 ft
France

I purchased the professional, coming from a P2 vision plus.... and it was definitely the right move.
Downsampling to 1080 definitely makes better videos.

You're right when saying that processing 4K files need a top notch computer, but that's what I already had before buying the P3...
And even in 4K format, a 64GB card allows for more than 2 hours video.

2015-6-11
Use props
bactrimforte
lvl.2

Italy

@DanH: I had to decide, with the difference in price between P3A & P3P I could buy half of my ticket to visit Cambodia this winter... this before my hard crash
Going back I'd buy the P3A again also if I could spend  some more money, this because I plan to upgrade in two years (computer included ;) )
2015-6-11
Use props
blauer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 209403 ft
United States

As I am concentrating mostly on stills The advanced was the right option for me. I have done some video and found no problem with the quality.  I'm sure if you were a commercial videographer the 4k would be best but for hobbyist and photographers such as myself I don't see a need for it.
2015-6-11
Use props
clkilljoy1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15207 ft
United States

Got the P3p, as with any equipment I try and get the most advanced at the time. Every thing goes obsolete so quickly.  The P4 will be out in a month with all the latest and greatest. (no not really!)
2015-6-11
Use props
Quadtastrophe
lvl.2
Flight distance : 172267 ft
United States

I got the Advanced for four reasons.  First, saved a little money.  Second, stills capability the same.  Third, I thought 1080 would be enough and it is, but I know I'm missing out on the chance to zoom in or benefit from downsampling.  Fourth, I'm sure this is just a learning platform.  The technology is evolving so fast, and the prices seems to be at least stable, I'm pretty sure I'll have something else sooner, rather than later.  I'm also in the middle of moving from Canon to mirrorless and I'm expecting to see a GH6 or the brand new A7RII in the air pretty soon.  Anyway, in the meantime, what fun!!!

But to be honest, I wish I got the Pro.
2015-6-11
Use props
Spankybear
lvl.4
Flight distance : 685089 ft
United States

I love the advance and the video I have shot looks awesome... 1080 is just fine with me and if you are going to post anything on the interwebs 4K quality will be lost. I do have a computer powerful enough to edit 4K and I sill went with 1080.
2015-6-11
Use props
t.katz
lvl.2

United States

I picked up the Pro, to record in 4k and deliver in 1080p.  The samples I saw/played with beforehand showed improved quality downsampling the 4k to 1080p.  Yes you may need a "beefier" computer to process the files but for me its worth it (plus I already had a nMP w/ dual D700's).  

It really depends on what your final use for the video is for.  If your mostly planning on stills, then the advanced is fine as they both have the same sensor.  If you just want some really nice 1080p videos then its fine as well.  If you want the best quality you can get and are willing to pay a little more and have the hardware for processing/resampling, then the pro is the way to go.
2015-6-11
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

I bought the Pro but after much use think I would have been fine with the Advanced.

4K, IMHO, is not ready for prime time - especially with small sensors and lenses.  Some may disagree and that's fine - they should buy a Pro!

I think if you did a survey of buyers you'd find a very small percentage (maybe 10%) who do extensive post production....and it's only those people (if any) who would get the benefit of 4K.

2015-6-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

One nice thing about the Advanced, if you crash and bust the camera, you can upgrade to the 4K camera.

Hopefully that accidental landing, never happens to you  though.

RedHotPoker
2015-6-11
Use props
Oliver
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I'm disappointed with the 4K footage. The compression leads to flickering in the recorded video when filming shots with lots of detail (e.g. grass, trees)
With that being said, the 4K scaled down to 1080p looks MUCH better than 1080p alone. Fantastically clear, it's just a shame about the flickering....
2015-6-11
Use props
myensan
New

United States

I was excited to get the Pro version. I justified the purchase with the turbo charger. When I found out the chargers were available separately, I was a little disheartened. That was until I recorded some footage in 4k. Played back on my 4k TV it looks absolutely stunning. Hands down it was worth the investment. If you do not have a hardware that is capable of handling 4k video, then it may not be for you. 1080p is still a great picture, but I am very content with my decision to purchase the Pro model.
2015-6-11
Use props
Mark97564
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2067749 ft
United States

How can you do that? I didn't know parts were available yet? And dji isn't upgrading anyone that crashes
2015-6-11
Use props
sveilien
lvl.2

United States

I got the 4K specifically to crop for 1080p. Kind of like having a 2x zoom in post.
2015-6-11
Use props
Clem2099
lvl.2

United States

Thanks to all for replying and giving me your insight. I have gone ahead and ordered the professional model.  I have an iMac 5K so I might need to beef it up a bit to process the 4K but I am planning just to scale it down to 1080P.
2015-6-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules