Mavic Mini uses Samsung cells
15544 20 2019-11-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
netzwerg
lvl.2
Germany

Mavic Mini is using standard 18650 Samsung cells.

Samsung INR18650-25R: https://www.nkon.nl/de/rechargeable/li-ion/18650-size/samsung-18650-inr18650-25r.html

Should be easily replacable with bigger cells, such as
Sony US18650VTC6 3000mAh: https://www.nkon.nl/de/rechargeable/li-ion/18650-size/red-sony-murata-us18650vtc6.html
LG INR18650-MJ1 3500mAh: https://www.nkon.nl/de/rechargeable/li-ion/18650-size/lg-inr18650-mj1.html

I will report if this works and enhances flytime.

EI-40F0UEAEroEa.png
EI-40F1UwAABuo9.png
EI-40FzUEAA24gW.png
2019-11-16
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Turkey

Interesting! On the LG front,  Choco (Hg2) might be a better match as the max discharge rate of those are the same as the original Samsung ones. Please let us know how it turns out...
2019-11-16
Use props
djicheaha
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2957598 ft
  • >>>
United States

Curious minds. Let us know how it works for you. Weight, fight time, etc. Thanks in advance.
2019-11-16
Use props
Juliflash
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2923 ft

Spain

Cool, thanks for that info!
2019-11-16
Use props
TruGreen
Second Officer
Flight distance : 621909 ft
  • >>>
United States

interested to see how this goes also
2019-11-16
Use props
fliptwister
lvl.2
Flight distance : 22516 ft
United States

Good news that they are using quality 18650 cells. Samsung makes good ones. The ones you mentioned might not be a good choice though. The CDR on the Samsung INR18650-25R is 20 Amps. That Sony has a CDR of 15 Amps and the LG is 10 Amps. I would imagine that using a 20 Amp CDR battery would be preferable, correct me if I'm wrong (I'm far from an expert).

The LG HG2 might be a good choice at 3000mAh:
https://www.18650batterystore.com/18650-p/lg-hg2.htm

Still looking for Sony, Samsung, or LG with higher capacity than 3000mAh that have a CDR of 20 Amps...

Edit: just noticed that CemAygun said essentially the same thing.

Edit 2: Something else to note is weight. If the under 250 grams is important to you other batteries might push you over that weight (not that anyone would know unless they actually weighed the drone). The Samsung 25R 18650 weighs 43.8 grams a cell and the LG HG2 weighs 47 grams. Essentially the HG2s would put you over 250 grams total.

2019-11-16
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

wait these batteries ar just straight up series wired?  they didn't wire them threw a balancing system?  that's odd, normally DJI wires batteries to all be separated and commoned at the balancer end so each cell can be individually managed and rebalanced while charging and discharging.    this also means dji isn't truly sampling individual cell voltages either they are simply interpolating the voltages of each cell.    i wonder how long these batteries will last?   

can you test the cut off voltages that DJi has set?  not sure how to do that with these packs but i imagine there is a way.   ideally to extend the lifetime of the cells you want to carefully manage max charge voltage down so not changing up to 4.2 V but rather maybe 4.10V and instead of 2.6V 0% cutoff may wanna do 2.8V.. also wanna change how fast or slow it charges and voltage curves depending on temperature.  doing all this may reduce the runtime of the flights performed by several minutes but it will greatly reduce the aging of the batteries.  so instead of  few hundred cycles, it could close a few thousand cycles.
2019-11-16
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

Standard 18650’s is interesting. I got some LG hg2 3000 mah from a local vape shop. They had 3 different kinds with different Mah values of course at different prices. But that might be somewhere to check if you have a vape shop in the area and if you want them sooner.
2019-11-16
Use props
KREMi
Second Officer
  • >>>
Poland

when You mod it, a small leds for showing battery level would be usefull.
something like this for 2S would add maybe 0,5g-1g
https://www.banggood.com/1S-3_7V ... rone-p-1579357.html
add mini switch to it and done, or take little bigger pcb with switch already mounted

2019-11-16
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Turkey

I would not be surprised if someone comes up with a 3rd party battery "cartridge" for the Mini in which you can put your own 18650s...
2019-11-16
Use props
Padme
lvl.1
Flight distance : 35384 ft
Hungary

CemAygun Posted at 11-16 22:37
I would not be surprised if someone comes up with a 3rd party battery "cartridge" for the Mini in which you can put your own 18650s...

Sure. ;). Max 1 M. .
2019-12-7
Use props
GuNDaL
lvl.1

Canada

This is awesome.. an from looking at the size of the battery pack it actually did look like 2S 18650 setup.

OP, did you every try swapping out to higher capacity cells.. did it work?
Or Are these like the mavic 2 batteries where as soon as you disconnect the battery circuitry from the cells  they get into a locked mode and require dji proprietary hardware & password to reenable.

No BMS and simple 18650 cells now it definietly makes sense why these batteries are sold at muhc lower cost.. but still dji is making roughly 60$ on every pack.. 2 18650s can cost under 10$
2020-1-31
Use props
djiuser_odEGWmZLVdYN
lvl.2
Flight distance : 319885 ft
United States

Hate to be the one being negative. Don’t misunderstand me because I’m grateful that you guys have taken time to look into the design of the mini. I can’t seem t get my orientation to show correct position and direction. Any tips?   I’m nit surprised to find out the batteries we’re in a way, cheaply done, the quality of this drone is terrible compared to its over brothers and it is cheaper but with the DJI name I’m surprised they were willing to risk it
2020-3-12
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

It pays to pay attention, was on the first page:
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=210102
2020-3-12
Use props
fans7f063fe1
New
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2019-11-16 10:26
wait these batteries ar just straight up series wired?  they didn't wire them threw a balancing system?  that's odd, normally DJI wires batteries to all be separated and commoned at the balancer end so each cell can be individually managed and rebalanced while charging and discharging.    this also means dji isn't truly sampling individual cell voltages either they are simply interpolating the voltages of each cell.    i wonder how long these batteries will last?   

can you test the cut off voltages that DJi has set?  not sure how to do that with these packs but i imagine there is a way.   ideally to extend the lifetime of the cells you want to carefully manage max charge voltage down so not changing up to 4.2 V but rather maybe 4.10V and instead of 2.6V 0% cutoff may wanna do 2.8V.. also wanna change how fast or slow it charges and voltage curves depending on temperature.  doing all this may reduce the runtime of the flights performed by several minutes but it will greatly reduce the aging of the batteries.  so instead of  few hundred cycles, it could close a few thousand cycles.

@hereforthebeer. I think with Li-ion (round cells) vs Li-Po ( flat cells) when it comes to charging, I don't think balance charging is always a necessity.
2020-7-9
Use props
sanjay3
lvl.1
Flight distance : 30640 ft

Mexico

Was anyone able to successfully replace the cells with generic 18650?
2020-7-19
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

sanjay3 Posted at 7-19 09:55
Was anyone able to successfully replace the cells with generic 18650?

It seems that there is something like a security against "unauthorized" replacement of the batteries. I saw a video on Youtube where someone has changed the cells, but the electronics of the battery pack no longer worked properly afterwards.

Found it :
2020-7-19
Use props
sanjay3
lvl.1

Mexico

in this video, it looks like he wasn't able to fit the battery pack into the drone because of the mod. It doesn't say anything about the unauthorized replacement. Has anyone tried this ? As far I understand, I don't think DJI will be able to tell if I replaced a cell with the exact same specifications as the original. Hope to know more.!
2020-7-19
Use props
sanjay3
lvl.1

Mexico

This looks interesting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7hYbs471lw
2020-7-19
Use props
scorpionyb
lvl.1
Flight distance : 88422 ft
Vietnam

mod được không các anh
2020-7-20
Use props
IMREN Battery
New

Singapore

IMREN is a brand held by Shenzhen IMR Technology Co., Ltd, and is a manufacturer of all kinds of batteries, universal battery chargers, e-cigarettes/vapors, and related accessories with sophisticated technical equipment, a sincere service attitude, and a good business reputation. The products are wildly used in daily life devices like flashlights, e-cigarettes/vapors, electric tools, toys, etc. And extensively use in CSRC and other industries.
IMREN products mainly focus on the domestic market of the United States, and maintain cooperation with Tesla, Samsung, SONY Electronics and many international Top500 companies.
Not only that, the IMREN 3200mAh 40A battery and IMREN 3500mAh battery made by IMREN battery are the most popular in the United States. Both rechargeable batteries have been praised by vaping/e-cigar enthusiasts, flashlight users, and electronic gadget users.
Whether you're looking for the regular 18650/21700 rechargeable battery or the more specialized 26650/20700/18350 rechargeable battery, despite being a mobile power or an e-bike, IMREN battery is the best choice for you.

Our team have been involved with18650 batteries and 21700 batteries for a number of years. We have adapted to the ever growing demand for more robust, faster and longer ride times and keep with the latest motors and batteries available all using our tried and tested circuit board and Bluetooth remote.
Website of IMREN Battery:https://imrenbatteries.com/
2023-1-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules