Controller won't connect to drone
16140 31 2019-11-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cwells
lvl.1

United States

My new Mavic Mini arrived today. First, I am not a noob... have had a Phantom 3 Pro for the last 4 years.  I charged up everything, connected it, turn on drone, phone, and controller.  Connect Aircraft does nothing.  Drone flashes yellow.  Controller flashes its 4 lights all at once.  I have tried repeatedly.
What gives?  

I first tried my Samsung Galaxy S10+ but it won't fit between the holders.  So, I used my older phone this replaced, a Moto Z2 Force (fully working, just has some screen burn-in issues).  I have a third phone I could try but it is really old (LG G4) and has been sitting in a drawer for 4 years.

2019-11-18
Use props
fliptwister
lvl.2
Flight distance : 22516 ft
United States

I know this is kind of a dumb question but did you take the case off your S10+? Based on the dimensions of your phone it should fit. The controller should fit a phone up to 160 mm and your phone is 157.6 mm long.

There was someone else on here having problems with the Moto Z3.
2019-11-18
Use props
cwells
lvl.1

United States

fliptwister Posted at 11-18 19:11
I know this is kind of a dumb question but did you take the case off your S10+? Based on the dimensions of your phone it should fit. The controller should fit a phone up to 160 mm and your phone is 157.6 mm long.

There was someone else on here having problems with the Moto Z3.

It's a very thin case and one that is really hard to remove, so I left it on.  It seemed like it would be reasonable enough to be able to fly with a thin case... I hate taking tough cases off.  I can give it a try though with it off, let's hope I can pry it out of the case....

And yes I just saw the other post from the person who couldn't use a Z3.  That seems like quite a limitation... the Z phones are awesome phones, no good reason to restrict them.

2019-11-18
Use props
cwells
lvl.1

United States

Okay, I got the case off and managed to get the S10+ in there. But... it still won't connect. Although, this time i can see the entire message.  On the Z2, it said "RC not connected to the m..." and I'm like what's an "m"?  On the S10+, it says "RC not connected to mobile device".  Umm. Yes it is!  That cute little cable there, very well snapped into both ends.  This is starting to worry me that it's not going to work.
2019-11-18
Use props
cwells
lvl.1

United States

Ugh.  It's definitely not working. Each time I try, it puts up that message with 3 steps I need to do, with 3rd being to turn on the controller. It is on.   I'm guessing it puts this message up because it doesn't see any controller there.

So... how does this work?  Do I have to return the whole thing, or is DJI able to send a new controller or whatever might be wrong?

Note it appears the controller may know about the drone now... it shows a blinking green light.  But, the controller doesn't know about the phone (either one of them).
2019-11-18
Use props
cwells
lvl.1

United States

My wife just got home... she has an iPhone XR.  I just tried that... same thing!  There's no sign of activity between the controller and the phone.  Because this is an iPhone, I used a different cable, so that rules out the cable being the issue.

I also tried uninstalling DJI Fly app and reinstalling it on my Samsung... no good.

If there's some secret hidden thing I'm supposed to do to make it connect, other than turn both on with a cable between them, someone please let me know.  The phone gives me no prompts about USB connection like it normally would with a PC.  I didn't try developer mode, and I don't think I should have to.

2019-11-18
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi there, we are sorry to hear about the difficulties that you encountered. May we confirm the information below for better assistance?
1. The firmware version of your aircraft, remote controller, and the DJI Fly app.
2. A screenshot of the error message in the app.
3. Can the controller control the aircraft?
Thank you in advance.
2019-11-19
Use props
Zup
New
Poland

I had the same issue - connected once successfully and then it won't recognize the RC, but clearing DJI Fly app data fixes the problem. This won't help for your issue probably as you tried on few phones, but maybe it will fix issue for someone else.
2019-11-19
Use props
cwells
lvl.1

United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 11-19 01:50
Hi there, we are sorry to hear about the difficulties that you encountered. May we confirm the information below for better assistance?
1. The firmware version of your aircraft, remote controller, and the DJI Fly app.
2. A screenshot of the error message in the app.

1. It would be whatever you shipped it with, and the latest DJI Fly app. This is all new, so nothing is out of date.  The settings to update firmware don't work until the phone connects to the controller.
2. The error is posted above, "RC not connected to mobile device".
3. I have not tried taking off with the controller not connected to the phone.  It is raining heavily yesterday and today.

2019-11-19
Use props
cwells
lvl.1

United States

cwells Posted at 11-19 05:03
1. It would be whatever you shipped it with, and the latest DJI Fly app. This is all new, so nothing is out of date.  The settings to update firmware don't work until the phone connects to the controller.
2. The error is posted above, "RC not connected to mobile device".
3. I have not tried taking off with the controller not connected to the phone.  It is raining heavily yesterday and today.

I tried the controller to control the aircraft, but nothing happens.... it won't start.  It alternates between blinking yellow and red, which seems to indicate calibrate compass, which I did. It then blinks slowly green for a short time, then goes back to yellow and red. I am indoors (raining!) so i'm not sure the point of compass calibration or that it will work inside.  But, I would think it should take off without it... my old Phantom will do that.

The screen:

2019-11-19
Use props
cwells
lvl.1

United States

DJI Natalia so I think I need to send this back.  How do I do this?  I would like a refund.  I will wait 6 months or so and see how things look with this and similar drones before deciding again if I want one and which one.
2019-11-19
Use props
fliptwister
lvl.2
Flight distance : 22516 ft
United States

cwells, not sure if  this will help but sometimes I had issue with Spark and phone when I was using cable to connect to phone and also had wifi on on the phone. Probably a long shot but turn off wifi on phone before connecting cable to phone.
2019-11-19
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

Have you tried turning on the remote controller first than the Mavic Mini? Same thing happened to me on my first power up.
2019-11-19
Use props
cwells
lvl.1

United States

Maxi3D Posted at 11-19 07:32
Have you tried turning on the remote controller first than the Mavic Mini? Same thing happened to me on my first power up.

I tried several different orders of starting things up.
2019-11-19
Use props
cwells
lvl.1

United States

fliptwister Posted at 11-19 07:20
cwells, not sure if  this will help but sometimes I had issue with Spark and phone when I was using cable to connect to phone and also had wifi on on the phone. Probably a long shot but turn off wifi on phone before connecting cable to phone.

That I have not tried... it would seem bizarre if that's the issue, and you'd think something they might want to mention somewhere as a necessary step.  But, stranger things have happened... lemme go try....
2019-11-19
Use props
cwells
lvl.1

United States

cwells Posted at 11-19 07:39
That I have not tried... it would seem bizarre if that's the issue, and you'd think something they might want to mention somewhere as a necessary step.  But, stranger things have happened... lemme go try....

Nope... same thing as before.

This is going back!  Once I figure out how... I found a repair link, but I don't want repair... I want to return it.
2019-11-19
Use props
Alan E
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6457 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mine connected fine the first half a dozen flights or so and then suddenly would not connect no matter what I tried. Finally I removed the battery from the mini, re booted my phone and started over. Everything connected right up.
2019-11-19
Use props
cwells
lvl.1

United States

Okay this should be simple, but I can't find any way to initiate a return for a refund.  Only a "repair" or "DJI care" (which I have but I want to return it).   I didn't get an email response from them.  And, their phone menu doesn't give any additional options.  Can the "repair" option handle a return?

2019-11-19
Use props
cwells
lvl.1

United States

I found the "livechat" feature.... that did the trick.  He tried troubleshooting it and we eventually concluded what I knew already... it's dead Jim!

So, it's going back.

Sad!
2019-11-19
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

cwells Posted at 11-19 05:26
I tried the controller to control the aircraft, but nothing happens.... it won't start.  It alternates between blinking yellow and red, which seems to indicate calibrate compass, which I did. It then blinks slowly green for a short time, then goes back to yellow and red. I am indoors (raining!) so i'm not sure the point of compass calibration or that it will work inside.  But, I would think it should take off without it... my old Phantom will do that.

The screen:

Hi, thank you for providing the information, please try to download the DJI Assistant 2 For Mavic from DJI official web: https://www.dji.com/mavic-mini/downloads) and check if the firmware can be refreshed or not?
If not, please provide the serial number of your drone and start an online repair request on our official web to send it back. Here is the link: https://repair.dji.com/repair/index?site=brandsite&from=nav
We will do our best to help this out.
2019-11-20
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

cwells Posted at 11-19 18:40
I found the "livechat" feature.... that did the trick.  He tried troubleshooting it and we eventually concluded what I knew already... it's dead Jim!

So, it's going back.

LOL @ it's dead jim! Thats funny, but not at the same time. I hate that you've experienced that. On a note of sarcasm, did you check the RC to see if it had green blood?
2019-11-20
Use props
Martin Taylor
New

United Kingdom

I just received my Mavic Mini yesterday and have tried numerous times to connect the controller to the drone, but it won't work. I'm using an I-Phone 7 which says it's connected to the controller. When I try to pair the controller flashes and beeps looking for the drone, the drone light in rear flashes green 6 times the red 2 times. After 60 seconds the pairing times out.
2020-7-5
Use props
Martin Taylor
New

United Kingdom

I just received my Mavic Mini yesterday and have tried numerous times to connect the controller to the drone, but it won't work. I'm using an I-Phone 7 which says it's connected to the controller. When I try to pair the controller flashes and beeps looking for the drone, the drone light in rear flashes green 6 times the red 2 times. After 60 seconds the pairing times out.
2020-7-5
Use props
Martin Taylor
New

United Kingdom

I've still had no success connecting my drone and controller so I have a question. Should the controller and drone S/N be the same? I would guess so, but mine have different numbers which may explain why they won't pair?
2020-7-5
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

Here is my solution to the phone does not fit.  I am in a similar situation where the case makes the phone to thick to fit in the controller.  This works well.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2020-7-5
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Martin Taylor Posted at 7-5 09:03
I've still had no success connecting my drone and controller so I have a question. Should the controller and drone S/N be the same? I would guess so, but mine have different numbers which may explain why they won't pair?

Try the different methods for connecting in this video, I don't think your putting the AC into the paring mode it needs to be in.

Also remove the SD card and reformat it in a PC

2020-7-5
Use props
Lesli
New

Canada

In case it could be useful to someone.... I had trouble to connect my LG6 (Android 8) to the RC. The first time I activated my drone, everything connected easily, but afterwards, the connection between the RC and the phone failed consistently. I've read on various forums that other users had the same problem. For some, updating to Android 9 solved the issue. Since I can't update my phone, I tried to find another solution. In my case, it seems the phone didn't know what to do with the USB connection and was entering in a infinite loop with the DJI App.
Here is what worked for me in the end:
- First power on the drone
- Power on the RC and let them connect
- Connect the RC to the phone with the USB cable
- The phone asks if I want to use the DJI App. At the same time, I see appearing and disappearing notifications about the USB connection used to "charge"
- I don't open the App right away. I wait for the notifications on the phone to stop blinking
- After 30sec - 1 min, the USB connection seems to stabilize and the notification "USB charging" stays there without any interruption
- Only then I open the App and everything works

I don't know if it's normal? I just started with  drones!

PS. USB debugging on the phone is desactivated. Not sure if it has any incidence. I had also cleaned the USB port, nothing changed.
2020-7-5
Use props
Martin Taylor
New

United Kingdom

lannes Posted at 7-5 18:55
Try the different methods for connecting in this video, I don't think your putting the AC into the paring mode it needs to be in.

Also remove the SD card and reformat it in a PC

Thank you for the suggestion, but this also failed to work. Pairing just times out and it says "Linking Failed". I think I'll have to contact live support.
2020-7-6
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Martin Taylor Posted at 7-6 02:40
Thank you for the suggestion, but this also failed to work. Pairing just times out and it says "Linking Failed". I think I'll have to contact live support.

Do a firmware refresh on both the AC and RC using DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic on the PC

Download it from here

https://www.dji.com/mavic-mini/downloads

2020-7-6
Use props
egadgetguy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 35686 ft
United States

I have been fighting with the mavic mini for a couple of weeks and for me I have a solution. The app doesn't work on my S20 ultra or my S9. It simply won't connect to the remote. I tried my wife's iphone 7 and it worked, then I tried my old S7 and IT WORKED.! I have researched and it seems Android 10 and above don't seem to be compatible.
2020-12-17
Use props
Cients
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5537369 ft
Portugal

K6CCC Posted at 7-5 09:45
Here is my solution to the phone does not fit.  I am in a similar situation where the case makes the phone to thick to fit in the controller.  This works well.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7RFDBA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Excellent solution!
2020-12-18
Use props
djiuser_No8fI2IcBGuf
New

United States

So I was having the same problem where the controller was not recognizing my phone. The problem was my phone. Some phones loop the signal cause they cant read this. It was a bit of a problem with my 1st mini. My wifes new phone detected the controller and drone instantly. Going out to buy the same phone she has today just for my drones lol. Hope this helps. Peace fam.
2021-2-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules